Phantom 3 Professional Fly Away

Wow that sucks. Part of my internal checklist is to calibrate the compass before every flight and run an IMU check. Not sure if that would have helped or not but test flights on a new bird are always the best practice.

Delirious,

Did you watch the video ? It switched into ATTI mode at least 4x and was still unrecoverable.

I think and hope we might see another firmware update very soon, this compass error and App disconnect problem is reported by many pilots in threads on here every day now.

I think and hope we might see another firmware update very soon, this compass error and App disconnect problem is reported by many pilots in threads on here every day now.
hyperbole much? yes there might be an issue but compass would be affecting everyone. App Disconnect is not firmware it is 1.1.2 and can be compensated if you know how to fly the bird and bring it home through controller rather than phone/tablet

*Please* get *both* the .TXT log file (from your phone/tablet) and the .DAT log file (from the SD card inside the Phantom - turn on "flight data mode" in Advanced Settings and connect the Phantom to your computer by USB to get it) and post them here. We can analyze the contents using http://www.djilogs.com and figure out what happened. Let me know if you need more detailed instructions on how to do this, happy to help.

*Please* get *both* the .TXT log file (from your phone/tablet) and the .DAT log file (from the SD card inside the Phantom - turn on "flight data mode" in Advanced Settings and connect the Phantom to your computer by USB to get it) and post them here. We can analyze the contents using http://www.djilogs.com and figure out what happened. Let me know if you need more detailed instructions on how to do this, happy to help.

It's 50 feet under water. You going to swim and get it?

Reactions: loganboyd
It's 50 feet under water. You going to swim and get it?

Ahaha that truly sucks - sorry man! That means we'll never get the .DAT file. However, you can still get the .TXT log file, it's stored on your phone / tablet, and while it doesn't have as much information as the .DAT file, it could still be useful.

I always get antsy flying near water. That's why I try to go right next to the shore or really elevate altitude when going over a small body. I've had similar experience after upgrading to the new firmware. It started to drift off and I fought it to land. Fortunately, it happened right after take off. What I didn't do was compass calibration after the firmware update. I also performed a cold IMU calibration. No problems since that one time. My thoughts on this is that it is an equipment failure and I would head in the direction of DJI with as much data as I have to get them to look into equipment failure.

Please upload the smart device flight logs.. My question is, why would you fly over water after experiencing a strange flight before hand? You said you went to a park, why not just stay there for a battery to feel out the craft.

Strange thing I also see is you switching in and out of ATTI, when switching out of atti you really gave no stick inputs? When going into ATTI you would have to control the craft counter any current motion?

hyperbole much? yes there might be an issue but compass would be affecting everyone. App Disconnect is not firmware it is 1.1.2 and can be compensated if you know how to fly the bird and bring it home through controller rather than phone/tablet

No not at all. i have read about compass error every day now for well over a week, and App disconnect all so. I have only heard and read about App disconnect since 1.1.9 came out by the way.

A compass error will happen from time to time.. When this happens you DO NOT want to engaged RTH. You would want to stop and hover in ATTI and wait for the error to clear.

Reactions: ctp
No not at all. i have read about compass error every day now for well over a week, and App disconnect all so. I have only heard and read about App disconnect since 1.1.9 came out by the way.
I have been on here everyday for a while as im new to Phantoms so the app disconnects are somewhat connected to the App update. You should expect a 1.2.0 by next (update every 2 weeks as per DJI) I am pretty sure they know about the compass issue if it is related to firmware. there is a reason DJI says to recalibrate the compass every new location, I recalibrate it if i fly 10 feet away from my previous flight due to the sensitive nature of the compass. it takes 30 seconds.

Ahaha that truly sucks - sorry man! That means we'll never get the .DAT file. However, you can still get the .TXT log file, it's stored on your phone / tablet, and while it doesn't have as much information as the .DAT file, it could still be useful.

Attached is the flight log from that flight

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2015-06-01_[19-00-24].txt
    147.7 KB · Views: 434
Recalibrating every flight could be a very bad thing if you cannot find an area safe for calibrating. You only ever want to calibrate if you're going to get a really good calibration. In some places, that is not possible.

Recalibrating every flight could be a very bad thing if you cannot find an area safe for calibrating. You only ever want to calibrate if you're going to get a really good calibration. In some places, that is not possible.

i refrain from flying at this point of my early days in the hobby where calibrating cannot be done on a safe area

Wow that sucks. Part of my internal checklist is to calibrate the compass before every flight and run an IMU check. Not sure if that would have helped or not but test flights on a new bird are always the best practice.
I've calibrate each time, (providing I'm in a safe-to-calibrate area)
IMU was done a day before with successful flights after.
I've had the P3 for a few weeks now with 26 flights
4hours 25min flight time
107,718M

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub