Phantom 3 pro windsurfer

Reaction score
I've bought a windsurfer for my p3p but I don't see any difference,,anyone else had this problem

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Longer range will depend on a number of things. First off, the antenna with the windsurfer attached is much more directional than the stock configuration. It is easy to lose signal strength by not pointing the RC directly at the P3 and slewing it as appropriate. Range also depends on what the transmitter is trying to punch through. I've found that I can double or triple my range *over water* - which is a best case scenario. If I am sitting in a open field surrounded by 150 foot spruce trees I don't get much more distance than stock. My FPVLR antenna which has about double the gain of the windsurfer helps considerably more - and is even more directional.

Over all, I think the windsurfer gives a noticeable range increase in most situtations but it can be subtle. I am also assuming that you are actually testing correctly by running the same route under the same conditions (ie, same day, nearly same time) and measuring the distance to loss of signal. If you are just going by the seat of your pants, you may well not notice a difference.

Yea I've tryed it in a couple of places now,no difference

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

From my house with a tree line about 150' out and an altitude of 400', I got about 2000' distance without the windsurfer and about 3000' with. At close distance you have to be really precise pointing it directly at the Phantom or the video signal breaks up.

Longer range will depend on a number of things. First off, the antenna with the windsurfer attached is much more directional than the stock configuration. It is easy to lose signal strength by not pointing the RC directly at the P3 and slewing it as appropriate. Range also depends on what the transmitter is trying to punch through. I've found that I can double or triple my range *over water* - which is a best case scenario. If I am sitting in a open field surrounded by 150 foot spruce trees I don't get much more distance than stock. My FPVLR antenna which has about double the gain of the windsurfer helps considerably more - and is even more directional.

Over all, I think the windsurfer gives a noticeable range increase in most situtations but it can be subtle. I am also assuming that you are actually testing correctly by running the same route under the same conditions (ie, same day, nearly same time) and measuring the distance to loss of signal. If you are just going by the seat of your pants, you may well not notice a difference.
Very well described. I don't have the FPVLR but I concur with everything you said about the windsurfers. I can also unreservedly vouch for their efficacy.

PS. We assume that the original poster has the windsurfers mounted the right way round and that the antenas are positioned "UP" and parallel.

I bought this 2 months ago but haven't used it yet. I plan to go long distance over water tomorrow. I realize all it does is direct more signal towards the bird. Question - What if it is 400 ft up, do I point the RC to the sky towards the bird? Or say it is 400 ft right above me, do I have to point it up to the bird?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, to get the best results it has to be pointed at the bird .... As if you're giving the "bird"!

i notice a significant difference with mine on a p3p, i have these:

bPsT7v0.png

but its very directional ... point where the aircraft is and should work fine. I took mine out to 32k feet and back with only a windsurfer (and battery mod)

W48xXcq.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl