Phantom 3 Pro or GoPro Karma??

Reaction score
Hi, i"m having an hard time choosing between Phantom 3 Pro and GoPro Karma, what should I buy? I have the hero 4 if I'm buying karma .

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

We have very limited info about Karma. Go as per what you feel is right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

There are a number of videos, that compare the two manufactures.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
See what you can to help make the ultimate choice.

RedHotPoker

The Karma does appear to be optimized for the Hero5; I will be interested in seeing reviews of it with a Hero4 on the front.

The Phantom does have one immediate advantage in that you can currently buy one. :D

Only thing that worries me on Karma is the range. But everything other seems great. You get camera which can go on all mounts, handheld gimbal, drone, remote with integrated 7" screen so I would gladly exchange my P3A for Karma. It is so versatile, they really nailed it with Karma.

DJI look to about to release a new drone in the same style as the Karma with fold up arms etc, possibly tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I wouldn't decide until seeing real world problems with it.
For a start range will be considerably less as it's wifi only.
If it uses GPS only rather than GPS and Glonass it sometimes won't find enough satellites.
This was a frequent problem with Phantom 2 and before.

Hero4 and Hero5 are significantly better cameras than P3 or P4 despite distortion on wide setting.

If you are already using gopro and don't have a drone it seems a sensible way to go for many.
The new DJI drone will be very competitive with Karma no doubt, price and specs.

Reactions: WetDog and Numone
Only thing that worries me on Karma is the range. But everything other seems great. You get camera which can go on all mounts, handheld gimbal, drone, remote with integrated 7" screen so I would gladly exchange my P3A for Karma. It is so versatile, they really nailed it with Karma.
Interesting... you're raving about a UAV that's not on sale and not tested in the real world, yet you believe that GoPro have, apparently, "nailed it"...?

Reactions: SnoozeDoggyDog
Having flown a yuneec rc with a small screen for the flight app, there's no way I would be comfortable with the small screen on the karma remote. As much as I'm not totally thrilled with an external device for the flight app because of the complexities of compatibility, etc (a lot of etc), I couldn't go back to flying with anything less than my ipad air 2, period. Plus light bridge, which can sometimes be forgotten but is still king for reliable connection. There's simply too much about dji flight that nothing else has beaten yet. Even if I were steeped in gopro cameras, I'd still choose a dji bird. Their cameras are excellent on a drone. Use gopro for everything else ground and water. Multiple tools get the job done.

Reactions: 2-yota
Interesting... you're raving about a UAV that's not on sale and not tested in the real world, yet you believe that GoPro have, apparently, "nailed it"...?

Which part you cannot process ? When the company which has no competition in action cameras for years make a drone after 2 years, make it so versatile that you get in one package action camera, handheld gimbal and a drone with 7" remote screen, I think it is pretty sure to say that they have nailed it pretty good. Try to calculate all that from DJI and give us the number. Having in mind that they dont sell separate cameras which can be mounted on 101 mount.

Which part you cannot process ? When the company which has no competition in action cameras for years make a drone after 2 years, make it so versatile that you get in one package action camera, handheld gimbal and a drone with 7" remote screen, I think it is pretty sure to say that they have nailed it pretty good. Try to calculate all that from DJI and give us the number. Having in mind that they dont sell separate cameras which can be mounted on 101 mount.
The part that isn't processible is reality. GoPro may have 'nailed' the feature set but there is always rather much of a disconnect between marketing and engineering. If we believed DJI's marketing, we would all have won Oscars by now.

GoPro has recently lost a significant amount of shareholder value by outright flubbing the releases of the new cameras.

Now, they've ventured into a very different field and you expect them to 'nail it' first try? Hell, DJI didn't 'nail' the upgrade from the P3 to P4 and that is a much less involved progression.

I encourage and applaud GoPro for doing this. The feature set doesn't appeal to me overmuch but any competitive pressure on DJI is good. But I'm not expecting too much out of their rev 1.0 attempt.

Murphy was an optimist.

Having in mind that they dont sell separate cameras which can be mounted on 101 mount.
Actually they do:), called the Osmo. You can buy the Osmo handle and stick an inspire camera on it.
Different priceclass though, but still they offer the option and have done for a bit longer.

The karma is however an attractive ecosystem for a competitive price. They real world tests however will tell how competitive it actually will be

Well lets be honest, there was no need for new camera after Hero 4. Resulution is set on 4K and it will be there for some time with all thise 4K TVs and the only thing that they could offer last year was water resistance without the case but I dont find it so important, case is ok since it goes every time on some kind of holder.

I know about the Osmo but it has separate camera, you cannot use the camera from the Phantom which is 600-1000$ drone.

I am not telling that GoPro made perfect drone but I am sure that they did not make bad drone. They could basicaly buy 10 Phantoms and copy most of the things, like it is done in many industries and get good product. As a drone I agree that DJI is better but as a user I prefer 3in1 type of drone.

Why not get DJI's new Mavic? It will be the price of a P4, 685g weight, fold out arms and props, and more

Look at the Mavic Link at the top of the page.

As much as I like the modulaity of Karma (interplay of various different components - although all these different batteries to maintain and charge with different run-times may become a real pain over time), I don't like GoPro's decision to create a standalone RC/Display unit along with what appears to be a closed system interface (at least so far). This precludes any third party software developers. DJI to my knowledge is so far the only platform that offers an API for third parties to develop advanced software such as Autopilot, Litchi and FPV Camera to name just a few. To me, this adds an order of magnitude more value and capability to a Phantom or Inspire that can't be easily achieved by a closed system vendor. So, after studying all aspects of the Karma, adding the camera and other somewhat necessary accessories, the cost matches that of a P4 and significantly exceeds the cost for a P3P. Based on what I have seen and know so far I will stick with DJI (P3P).

I have a good session 4 and a dji p3 4k and the p3 4k blows the gopro out of the water in quality. The main draw that I saw with the karma was the added hand held gimbal for free. Pretty nice combo pack.

Sent from my SM-G935P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic