Phantom 3 Pro Night HDR Photos Pixelated

Reaction score
While testing the different photo options on the P3P, I noticed a significant issue with the HDR function. I'd like to know if I'm not using the HDR function properly and if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

HDR images taken in low light (sunsets, city night shots, indoors in low light) look good when viewed from the pilot app. However, when the images are downloaded from the SD card, the dark areas are pixelated.

Two examples - www.azwing.com/p3p

Note - If memory serves, I believe the test of the HDR function prior to the latest firmware updates did not reveal the same issue. But the latest images were taken with all updates completed and different SD cards were used.

Am I using this function incorrectly or is there an issue with the transfer of HDR images to the SD card? Thank you.

Attachments

• sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 760
  • house.jpg
    house.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 855
Yeah, something wrong there. Does it look like that in the day too? And/or with non HDR?

You will get better results anyway if you take a 3 or 5 shot bracket and merge to HDR in post. So assuming this pixelation problem is only in HDR mode, I would just ignore it and do my own HDR.

Thank you for replying.

The HDR function seems to work well during day shots. It's only in low light environments that the HDR shot pixelates in the darkest areas of the photo. Again, the photo is fine when viewed through the pilot app. The pixels appear in the version of the photo downloaded from the SD card. I've tried different cards and multiple camera settings without success. And all firmware is updated to the latest version.

Thank you for replying.

The HDR function seems to work well during day shots. It's only in low light environments that the HDR shot pixelates in the darkest areas of the photo. Again, the photo is fine when viewed through the pilot app. The pixels appear in the version of the photo downloaded from the SD card. I've tried different cards and multiple camera settings without success. And all firmware is updated to the latest version.
But is it only HDR or does it behave the same in all camera modes? If the former, see my previous post. If the latter, RMA the thing.

The issue only occurs with HDR shots in low light. All other camera settings seem to work fine.

Update - Since the P3P was new, I was able to exchange it. As a test, I took a few low light shots using the HDR setting PRIOR to updating the firmware. The HDR results were perfect. Then I did the firmware updates and was back to horribly pixelated images. So, it's the firmware, that for some reason, loads the images to the micro SD card with the pixel issue. If the images are downloaded from the pilot app the mobile device (in my case iPad Air) they are fine. It's only the images coming from the micro SD card that include the pixel issue.

Hi, I am having a similar issue with my new Phantom 3 Pro. The attached is a example of the resulting DNG and JPG versions. What causes this pink to show up in the DNG version? Is it a firmware problem? I think there may have been a notice about the firmware needing updating... but is that likely the cause? Edit: Is this something that can be removed from the DNG or does it need to be re shot
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 12.21.53 AM.png

Reactions: Adam Papworth
Hi James,

Yes, I believe it's the firmware. Late last year, I discovered the issue soon after purchasing the Phantom and upgrading the firmware. I thought it was the camera, and after contacting DJI was given the option to make an exchange. However the second Phantom produced the same HDR issue. Instead of contacting DJI again, I downloaded an older version of the firmware and to my surprise had no issues with HDR images. I documented, with photos, exactly what I'd done and sent the results to DJI. They promised to run the issue to headquarters in China and get back to me with an issue. To this day, I've yet to receive any updates from DJI. I've also checked the firmware updates for notes regarding this issue and nothing has been mentioned. Since then, I've never tried HDR function again. When I have time, I'll remind DJI of their promise to keep the ticket open until a resolution is found.

oh jeez! i have been looking for a solution for this. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

i guess the best solution would be to not shoot HDR at night. Use AEB! but take lots of shoots at different exposures to ensure that your get your best shot!

Another issue with night time shots when viewing pics in explorer windows 10 they appear to be reasonable ive taken a several batches with different settings including batching groups of 3 with diff setting 1below 1 at setting and 1 above all in RAW mode with varying shutter speeds My problem is with the very 1st batch of nighttime shots single exp varying time shutter exp when viewed in the above format and in explorer looks reasonable but when exported into lightroom and photshop become totaly useless and resemble a reversed colour negative. ive been in touch with Lightroom forum and have given me this link any advise please or fix's.

Just tried to upload a couple of photos but get an error message file does not have an allowable extension ?
so hears a link to view https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgpSXWlq0PP6jSU3W9NImiANwxGI

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik