Phantom 3 Pro just crashed. What do I do ??

I don't know why DJI hasn't pull off the 1.2.6 firmware from the website, I was planning to get the Phantom 3 Pro, but now I've decided on the Yuneec Q500 4K

Ya, but that's nuts what it did. I shouldn't expect the way it acted.

I don't know the full ins and outs to your crash, I only know the compass on the p3 even when calibrated is very and I mean very sensitive indeed. It is capable of picking up compass errors a lot further away from metal than people are aware of. This subject and testing is still going on at our flying club, and the talk of a ban of the p3 craft at our club which I must stress is only at our club, is looking more likely due to our converted shipping container club house which sits 15 Mtrs of the runway and would appear at this stage to be to much interference with the p3 crafts compass only and no other phantom models at our club. I must stress again this is not certain and other factors are being looked into before any decisions are made by the BMFI.

I had the same problem of it not updating the home point. My 3rd flight out, 3.5 miles over open ocean, and at night; on the way back something seemed wrong, I was flying towards the home point but the distance was not going down, I figured out that it was trying to go to the old home point 50 miles away, so I flew in a slow circle until I figured out what direction I needed to fly to decrease the distance.

I then just kept that heading until it got close enough to see the navigation lights and I landed strictly by the lights vs the homepoint. It does not make sense to me that the P3 knew where I was in relation to where it was (otherwise the distance readout would not have worked either) yet it wanted to go to a home point 50 miles away.

What I do before every flight now is update the home point by hand.

Last edited:
I don't think that the Android app has the joystick position. Only IOS.

That's full of crap. Software engineers are always making a downgraded version of an IOS app for Android users. Or the Android users have to wait extra time to get the same features, even though the version numbers are the same and released at the same time!

That's full of crap. Software engineers are always making a downgraded version of an IOS app for Android users. Or the Android users have to wait extra time to get the same features, even though the version numbers are the same and released at the same time!

Did you try Dashware or is it too big of a PIA?

I don't know why DJI hasn't pull off the 1.2.6 firmware from the website, I was planning to get the Phantom 3 Pro, but now I've decided on the Yuneec Q500 4K
So why are you posting on a Phantom forum? You have no experience with a Phantom 3, don't even own one, and went with another brand. Oh, you just wanted to diss DJI publicaly. Gotcha!

Reactions: Alex_ and dataway
I always turn on the controller>app>P3 in that order. You said you did a compass calibration?, at an old saw mill?, could there have been buried metal where you calibrated? Also, did the app tell you that "the home point has been updated, please check it on the map" This is something you should do EVERY time, to make sure the home point is actually where you are. It sounds like a compass error due to bad calibration, especially if you didn't get the home point set message. ( I only calibrate if my new flight area is 75-100 miles from the last)

This - I'm guessing some buried/nearby metal screwed you over when you calibrated there

The compass on the p3 is very sensitive , even if you have done a cali first, if you take of anywhere near metal it will throw a compass error. I do mean anywhere near metal ie 10 or 15 Myts away it will throw the craft into p atti.

FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH:
Very sensitive --YES!-- I had a successful filming flight of a construction site. Landed, put in a new battery and had an assistant walk around close to the heavy equipment getting video with the camera. He approached a piece of equipment to about 20 ft, and the screen immediately showed a compass error-- didn't loose video, but the compass error message stayed on.. When the ground video was completed, we reset the controller, installed a new battery and powered up. No error-- Took off, went up to about 30 ft and the Phantom started flying away from me on its own, I could control it with maximum opposite input on the sticks, but as soon as I eased off, it took off again. Immediately initiated RTH, that activated and it returned were I took it off and I landed it, manually, but it was very unstable descending. When I got to 6 inches, initiated CSC.

I have also powered up the Phantom on the end gate of my pickup and immediately it generates a compass error as does flying in my back yard which is small and surrounded by chain link fence.

I believe we all have to be very cognizant of anything that will cause compass error metal or magnetism. Compass errors are probably the primary cause for most fly aways. By the way, the edges of my IPad Air 3 is magnetic and I am careful to make sure the Phantom is not powered sitting to close to the controller.

Then what's the use of having the drone locking onto a million satellites for positioning if its going to ignore it due to some stupid magnetic anomaly.
I can answer that question-- my post was for information only-- not for argument purposes.:):)

To answer your question a mirriead of things usually take place. As it is happening and you know it has gone down an expletive is commonly used and for some reason we all use the same one, it refers to excrement and starts with "S' ending in 'T". Then you cry. Then for a very small time frame you feel like kicking yourself inn the *** but before you can accomplish that feat you go into blame factor. Thats when you can't wait to get DJI on the phone. Be nice to them and they will fix your toy and it its a long process that may cost you and may not depending on the problem and warranty status. They are very good one us in this stage but you won't see your bird for many weeks. I know it all happened to me.......****!

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmyers
UPDATE:
So after 2 weeks of sending in the drone with an RMA, today I finally received an email saying they've "checked in" my drone. So 2 weeks has gone by and they've not yet touched it.

Their message says, "... Our estimated time of repair is 5-6 weeks from the date of check-in. If you do not receive an email update from the repair team by the 6th week, please call our support team..."

Argh... another 5-6 weeks!

That's a potential of a full 2 months total! Summer will be over before I practically get to fly it again. Not really like I have a choice. If they can repair it under warranty, then I suppose it's worth it.

FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH:
Very sensitive --YES!-- I had a successful filming flight of a construction site. Landed, put in a new battery and had an assistant walk around close to the heavy equipment getting video with the camera. He approached a piece of equipment to about 20 ft, and the screen immediately showed a compass error-- didn't loose video, but the compass error message stayed on.. When the ground video was completed, we reset the controller, installed a new battery and powered up. No error-- Took off, went up to about 30 ft and the Phantom started flying away from me on its own, I could control it with maximum opposite input on the sticks, but as soon as I eased off, it took off again. Immediately initiated RTH, that activated and it returned were I took it off and I landed it, manually, but it was very unstable descending. When I got to 6 inches, initiated CSC.

I have also powered up the Phantom on the end gate of my pickup and immediately it generates a compass error as does flying in my back yard which is small and surrounded by chain link fence.

I believe we all have to be very cognizant of anything that will cause compass error metal or magnetism. Compass errors are probably the primary cause for most fly aways. By the way, the edges of my IPad Air 3 is magnetic and I am careful to make sure the Phantom is not powered sitting to close to the controller.
I was planning to make my P3A takeoff from my car roof, I guess I shouldn't do that. :)

I was planning to make my P3A takeoff from my car roof, I guess I shouldn't do that. :)
Nooooooooooooooooooo! don't do it--- don't do it-- don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:mad::D:mad::D:D:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan