Phantom 3 pro disconnected during flight and now it's lost

Reaction score
Phantom 3 pro disconnected during flight and now it's lost. Flight record showed it at 600 feet at the last position it showed but drone is no where near that spot on the ground. What a waste of money. RTH should've returned it home because I was not that far away (3/4 mile). I am bummed. Sending out the search party today. Why did it disconnect? Latest updates with an IPad Air 2 cellular. Sick to my Stomach about this

Phantom 3 pro disconnected during flight and now it's lost. Flight record showed it at 600 feet at the last position it showed but drone is no where near that spot on the ground. What a waste of money. RTH should've returned it home because I was not that far away (3/4 mile). I am bummed. Sending out the search party today. Why did it disconnect? Latest updates with an IPad Air 2 cellular. Sick to my Stomach about this
Did you look at the RTH area as well.?? I had one RH while I was a mile away looking for it. On my way home I stopped buy the field to look if it may have RTH and it had. Just sitting there waiting for me.

Sorry about the loss!

I might be able to help but you will need to upload the TXT file from the device used to run the GO app with.

You must connect that device to your computer and search for a folder named DJI.
Open the DJI folder and locate folder dji.pilot.
Open the dji.pilot folder and locate folder FlightRecord.
Open folder Flight Record and scroll near the bottom of the page and look for the txt file matching the flight in question. That file will look similar to this: DJIFlightRecord_2016-08-23_[19-22-40].txt

At this point save a copy of that file to a folder on your desktop or any area easy for you to locate later on.
Once that step is complete you are finished with the device and can close it and remove it from your PC.

Upload the file to this thread as if it were a image, same method.

Sorry to hear about your loss, really leaves a bad taste. Maybe further investigation will help not only recover but also avoid this to happen again. Did RTH kicked in or not? What altitude was it set to?

You could have set the "Controller Disconnected" in the settings to "Land" rather than "RTH"

Reactions: Digdat0
I am sorry about your incident. Did you have an sticker with your phone number or email on the body of the AC?.

I have an sticker on both of my drones with "I'm lost (123)456-7890" "Reward if Found".

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
Just had my registration # on it. Not a bad idea writing my Phone # on the next one. I'll try to search more tonight. As for the RTH it is set to come home in front of my house where I took off from at 30 meters. I have no trees or wires even close to that. I'll check that file.

Try to upload your log file and provide a link, flyNfrank has been able to help other members in this forum to located their lost birds with good results. In case this turns into a warranty claim with DJI the flight log is going to be required.

Just had my registration # on it. Not a bad idea writing my Phone # on the next one. I'll try to search more tonight. As for the RTH it is set to come home in front of my house where I took off from at 30 meters. I have no trees or wires even close to that. I'll check that file.

You will need to upload the file as requested. This is not a file that you can just open up and know where the aircraft is at. I will convert the file to a readable format and go from there. This is why I took the time to leave the details on how to obtain the file. It's really a simple process.
Edit: We can only view TXT Flight Log's from GO app version 2.8.3 and below.

Also, it might be helpful knowing where you have the app set. Either- RTH, Land, or Hover in place. If you lose a signal, the aircraft will do one of those 3 listed. It will not fly off to a unknown location. In order for it to go to a unknown location, there would need to be an issue with the GPS or GPS Signal. If you send a RTH to the aircraft when it is not receiving a signal, it wont receive the RTH command and should go by whatever you have the app set at of the 3 settings mentioned.

You could have set the "Controller Disconnected" in the settings to "Land" rather than "RTH"

Is this a new setting only in the newer FW and DJI go app? Im still running fw 1.4.x and DJI go 2.4.0. I dont recall seeing this option.

There are lots of possibilities but without data anyone can only guess what happened.
Have you used the return to home feature before to know how it works and how to activate it?

We used to be able to look at the full flight data record and explain most incidents.
If you are using GO app version 2.8.3 or earlier, go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here will probably be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and perhaps point you to a likely area to search for the Phantom.
If you are on a later version of the app, try going to Healthydrones.com and upload there and come back with a link.
It doesn't show as much info but it might still help.

What was the altitude set at for the RTH? I set mine at 400 feet in an attempt to avoid potential obstacles on its way back.

Steve23, which TXT log above is the log from your flight? The most recent log has yesterday's date.

Was the RTH height set at 30 meters or was it not set on this flight? Without setting any RTH alt in the app, the Phantom in a RTH situation will climb to 20 meters (~63 feet) above home point before it comes home. Would 20 meters avoid obstacles coming straight home.

19-30-44 is the flight that I lost it on
Ive always had my RTH height set at 30. there is no reason it should say 0 on the app at this moment unless that's what it says with no bird connected to it

Unfortunately the TXT file is not an option, and because of that we're not going to be able to help. There is no way around this either. It sucks also because I really thought once I had your file I would be able to get you close to it... if not right where the aircraft currently is at.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.