Phantom 3 Pro Catastrophic Battery Failure

A lot of crash due to power failure reported on forum have almost all the same starting point : a battery far from a full charge !
A lot? So of the 30000+ members here, how many is a lot? And how many DONT fly only one flight on a battery? And of those, how many didnt crash?

A lot? So of the 30000+ members here, how many is a lot? And how many DONT fly only one flight on a battery? And of those, how many didnt crash?
On posts with the mention of a battery failure, in most cases the battery at takeoff was far below 100%. That's what I mean by "a lot".
Anyway, let me be clear on this : if some people want to takeoff with a 50% battery charge, it's their choice !!!
I choose to never takeoff on a battery less than 90% and till now, my P3 didn't fall from the sky !!!

I would like to know how to avoid this issue from happening. Any tips
Make sure your battery is taken to 8% every so often and then do a full recharge. Keep an eye on battery condition in the go app. Make sure you get a firm click when installing the battery in the P3 and be aware that the less than 100% thing on takeoff is just smoke and mirrors.

On posts with the mention of a battery failure, in most cases the battery at takeoff was far below 100%. That's what I mean by "a lot".
You said "A lot of crash due to power failure reported on forum have almost all the same starting point "

You observation of "A lot" is actually and insanely small group of people. Im willing to put any amount of money on a bet that more than 90% of the P3 owners here have flown successfully multiple flights on one charge. Its like saying that you should drive a car unless the gas tank is full or it vapor lock.

Reactions: Bret Lucas
Obviously, everyone can do what they chose to do. But preaching voodoo doesnt make it right.

Thats absolutely insane. I have over 300 flights now, and my batteries have a cumulative 72 charges. There is no logic or documentation to back this crazy habit!
Hey mate.. Wts ur battery capacity right now for ur 72 charge cycle?.. Mine at 22 charges is at 4000.. 89% capacity.. Is this normal??
Thanks

Hey mate.. Wts ur battery capacity right now for ur 72 charge cycle?.. Mine at 22 charges is at 4000.. 89% capacity.. Is this normal??
Thanks
That is cumulative charges across all 5 batteries. The average is only at 14 charges. 5 batteries and 2 100w chargers was the optimum number to get nearly constant flight without ever waiting for a battery. I can literally fly all day non-stop if I want to.

Can u give me any advice to take care of the battery and how to prolong its life . I flew today n it seemed so short. Is it ok to put the battery in the fridge so can recharge it right away

The problem with cold on a hot battery is potential condensation. I put mine in front of the AC vent. There are a few threads already about optimum battery care.

The key point in this whole discussion is to determine when/why do we get that critical low voltage error. I noticed that it wasn't an issue for me till after 20+ charges and no deep discharge, before I flew often without a full charge no problem. Recently flying with a battery that wasn't fully loaded and at least once after auto discharge had brought it back down to 70% caused the error. Really interested if others, and clearly there are quite a few, have similar usage patterns and reslting errors or maybe on the contrary same pattern but no issues.

Thats absolutely insane. I have over 300 flights now, and my batteries have a cumulative 72 charges. There is no logic or documentation to back this crazy habit!

There is no logic or documentation............mmmmm.
Looks in manual.......on page 44 PDF version (not sure if different to paper version.

Preflight Checklist1. Remote controller, Intelligent Flight Battery, and mobile device are fully charged.

It's there in black and white.

Reactions: Nizar Ghosn
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447030148.009259.jpg

A lot of crash due to power failure reported on forum have almost all the same starting point : a battery far from a full charge !

Not true, many other people have started from a full battery and encountered this issue. This is a big problem DJI needs to fix. The p1 and 2 never had this problem. (They had the flyaway)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl