Phantom 3 Pro Battery Temps in PHX

Reaction score
Is anyone else in the PHX area, or an area with similar temps, exceeding the 40 C flight battery operating temp range? Was out this evening for about 10 minutes in 65 degree F (18 C) Wx and the flight battery temp went to 41 C. I suspect it would have gone higher. All of my batteries will do the same. Thanks.

I wouldn't think that is too high(105F), especially while in flight(moving)

I think I've seen low to mid 90s, flying from -15C to 10C recently.

Nowhere near Phoenix, but I seem to see warmer batt. temps quicker when holding hovers longer even with low ambient temps here in Canada.

Thanks for your input. A little concerned about the operating range in the manual and the 40 C max I'm seeing rather easily. I completely agree about hovering. I did for a while but then attempted to bring down the temp via fast flight. The temps did not decrease. Inquired to DJI about the limitation in the manual and will certainly share. Hope you're having a nice evening.

I'm flying in the Mojave (high) Desert and according to Healthy Drones, my max temperature is 48.94° C and 40.39 C average max on 15 flights. So far, these temps don't appear to be having a negative effect on the battery.

I think DJI puts very conservative limits on battery temperatures in an abundance of caution over thermal issues with LiPo chemistry. That said, you see virtually no mention of catastrophic battery problems here on Phantom Pilots.

Isn't the dji operating range ambient temp not battery temp. I think lipos are OK up to 60degc during flight but don't have a reference for this. Certainly 40degc batt temp is not high in my experience.

That's a good question. It's my understanding that the Flight Battery Operating range mentioned in the manual is directed to the battery temperature indication in the Go App (the actual operating temp of the battery). Otherwise, there would be an operating temperature range for the aircraft itself. I'll share what DJI says when they reply.

Somewhat related, worth watching the video below regarding battery temps. His Phantom battery hits 54c during testing. I'm in Tucson and carry a cooler with frozen water bottles to put the batteries on after each flight. Hoping that helps with battery life/health.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: joeruby
Is anyone else in the PHX area, or an area with similar temps, exceeding the 40 C flight battery operating temp range? Was out this evening for about 10 minutes in 65 degree F (18 C) Wx and the flight battery temp went to 41 C. I suspect it would have gone higher. All of my batteries will do the same. Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Az Wing,

My 4 batteries max temp run from 120 F to 133 F. That is in Phoenix, Arizona (Glendale) and over 27. miles of total flying distance in December and January. 133 F = 56 C.

I believe that the battery operating temperature specification of 40 C (104 F) is the ambient air temperature at the start of the flight. The aircraft itself also has a 40 C maximum (ambient) operating temperature.

We might fly on a 104 F time of day from the shade, but the bird will be in the direct sun. Probably not a good idea. However I did fly my Yuneec Q500+ when it was 103 F in the late afternoon just to see the effect of "altitude density" It flew OK, one flight, then I went inside for some cool A/C.

Semiconductor (transistor) junction temperatures start to fail in the range of and above 105 C for reference.

I hope this helps.

Joe
KC7GHT

I think the battery temps listed ON the battery itself are charge temps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Az Wing,

My 4 batteries max temp run from 120 F to 133 F. That is in Phoenix, Arizona (Glendale) and over 27. miles of total flying distance in December and January. 133 F = 56 C.

I believe that the battery operating temperature specification of 40 C (104 F) is the ambient air temperature at the start of the flight. The aircraft itself also has a 40 C maximum (ambient) operating temperature.

We might fly on a 104 F time of day from the shade, but the bird will be in the direct sun. Probably not a good idea. However I did fly my Yuneec Q500+ when it was 103 F in the late afternoon just to see the effect of "altitude density" It flew OK, one flight, then I went inside for some cool A/C.

Semiconductor (transistor) junction temperatures start to fail in the range of and above 105 C for reference.

I hope this helps.

Joe
KC7GHT[/QUOTE

Thanks. Great Info! I've learned much. :)

An operating range (-10 C to 40 C) appears in two sections of the Ops Specs. Under Aircraft and Intelligent Flight Battery. Another person had suggested the temp range is the ambient temp range for flight. I wasn't sure since it appears separately under the battery section and because we can access the current battery operating temp in the Go App. Now I see the temp range I've mentioned is for ambient flight temps, not the battery.

DJI also verified the temp range is not for the battery. Oddly enough, they've asked me how I'm able to determine the operating temperature of the flight battery.

Speaking of density altitude, I ran into a guy who got permission to shoot video at the Grand Canyon when it was hot and density altitude was a big factor. He did not know about density altitude and once his Phantom was over the edge and out of ground effect, it just descended into the canyon. Search and rescue was able to retrieve it although I don't know if what remained was flyable. For those of us seeking the 333 exemption, temps over 40 C will greatly limit the ability to work.

Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers