Phantom 3 newbie question on mobile phone

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking at buying a phantom 3 but reception where I live only has 1 bar through telstra on my mobile phone, is this enough for fpv connectivity? Or do I have to have all 5 bars ? Not sure how the system works, I know it connects to wifi on the transmitter, please help could lead to a sale, secondly is it ok to buy the phantom standard? With less satellites or should I go for advanced ? What's the difference really?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Phantom does not connect to cell towers, so the bars on your mobile phone will not indicate how strong the usual GPS reception will be in your area. If you can afford the Phantom 3 Advanced (or Professional), that would be the best option. It can connect to both GPS+GLONASS satellites. Also, it does not use Wi-Fi to transmit the video signal (it uses Lightbridge), so the signal will be stronger and allow you to fly further in areas where there is interference.

There are countless other reasons the Phantom 3 Advanced/Professional is better than the Phantom 3 Standard. To see all of the differences, check out DJI's Phantom 3 comparison.

Absolutely awesome answer, was worried about that, yes will check out your link, 1 more question do you recommend to connect a 3G mini iPad to it or an iPhone 5s? Or any other phone I should buy instead?
Like Samsung etc?
Thanks in advance

It would be best to use a device from this list.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Mini iPad version 1 is not recommended nor is the iPhone 5s. As far as iPhones , at minimum , I believe you would want the iPhone 6 and up (6/6s) and iPads at minimum would be iPad mini 2 and up
At least 1 gb ram minimum 2 is preferred for whichever mobile device u choose .

I had been using my iPad mini 2 and screen size and performance worked fine , but noticed my iPhone 6s (2gb ram) runs the Dji go app and its functions a lot smoother and keeps the device cooler and not as hot as my iPad mini 2 (1gb ram)running the same Dji go app

Also when using a wifi only device , you would have to pre cache your maps of the area u intend to fly . There are workarounds to using wifi only devices ,like the tip I mentioned above ,or hot spotting your phone to the iPad for data connection -in order to update and cache maps on the spot

Decided to buy an iPhone 5s, do you have a link for installing the navigation software?

do you have a link for installing the navigation software?
If you're referring to DJI GO, you should install it from the App Store on your iPhone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20