Phantom 3 Motor Arm Cracks

Reaction score
There have been numerous reports of Motor Arm Cracks. In my case I discovered cracks as shown in the attached files after 3 short flights.

Attachments

• DJI  Lft Front.jpg
    DJI Lft Front.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,488
  • DJI Lft Rear.jpg
    DJI Lft Rear.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,918
  • DJI Rt Front.jpg
    DJI Rt Front.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,727
  • DJI Rt Rear.jpg
    DJI Rt Rear.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,295
Wow! Those look really bad... For me, nothing to report after a dozen of flights at least. That is worrisome though...

Is that blue loctite I see on the arm in some of the pictures. That stuff eats away plastic. How did you let it get to this point.
I mean these cracks start to develop...not just fail like picture above..

+1 on the Blue or any common Loctite being the catalyst if true.

Turns plastics brittle.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Carl,

Why the quote with no message?

Edit: now I see you removed it.

Last edited:
Like I stated: I had not turned the bird upside down until I had flown it 3 Short (Less Than 10 Minute) Flights. I do not know if what you referred to is "blue Loctite" If it is; That's what DJI used.

Got it.

There appears to be a blue-ish hue around the area of one of the screws, that's all.

Glad to hear you did'nt add so a warranty claim would not be voided on account of Loctite.

There have been numerous reports of Motor Arm Cracks. In my case I discovered cracks as shown in the attached files after 3 short flights.
Is that an Allen wrench on the DJI Lft ft JPEG in the right lower corner? Were they loose?

There's something fishy here. That's not the way it came from the factory as the screw is coated with a blue substance on one side of the screw. It's not applied any other way. Did you buy it from a dealer? Did anything look used when you got it? I've seen many pictures of problems stemming from the factory and this isn't it

Correct someone put liquid thread lock on that unit. I can assure you dji did not.

Also, is it me or are those screws all rusted?
And I don't believe a bird would get that bad in 3 flights.

Is that an Allen wrench on the DJI Lft ft JPEG in the right lower corner? Were they loose?
Yes; There is an Allen wrench there. The reason I turned it upside down was I was going to install Prop Guards. After I saw the cracks, I stopped and took these pictures. I did not touch the screws.

There's something fishy here. That's not the way it came from the factory as the screw is coated with a blue substance on one side of the screw. It's not applied any other way. Did you buy it from a dealer? Did anything look used when you got it? I've seen many pictures of problems stemming from the factory and this isn't it
I did buy it from a dealer and when I took it out of the box and installed the firmware, I did not see any evidence that it was not new. All of the Plastic bags were still sealed.

Interesting.

I don't recall my bags being sealed, maybe taped???, but again I don't recall.

That's just crazy and it is so spider cracked. It's at the four motor screws and doesn't look like its at the two arm screws which is where I think other people are getting there cracks at. I have over 100 flights on mine and there fine, that's really strange!

One cannot overlook a true manufacturing defect at the injection molding stage. I'm not suggesting there should be a 'batch' of them then just that from shot to shot there can be differences that can slip by especially in high volumes.

But the blue hue and the others' observations makes this quad's history seem dubious.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Sure looks like a case of the screwing machine got a little excited. DJI should and will replace if you give them a call if you haven't already done so. I find it hard to believe you never saw those cracks before you flew it for the first time :) I was going to suggest you try my fix until I saw your photos. You are way beyond the zip tie fix :)
IMG_20150707_184006978_HDR.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1