Phantom 3 - Follow Me & Waypoint Flying

As we all know, the P3's features list Waypoint flying, POI, and 'Follow Me' (FM) strictly as application possibilities via the SDK - at least currently.

However, I'm not sure how 'baked into the firmware' FM modes are, or even needs to be. There are no SDK API methods specifically relevant to following a moving target.

After all, there's already an app for the P2 that covers a FM mode - Autopilot for iOS. It's built using the SDK. So I don't see how the P3 would require firmware 'support' for it, aside from an SDK target that's already available for the P2.

MaI'll be interested in seeing if/how the SDK changes when the P3 is released - I do hope it evolves. Maybe they'll add convenience methods for FM; but I don't see how it would require firmware 'support' beyond simply allowing third-party control of the craft.

If a name was mentioned that would be the end of any details we might be able to hear about.
Ah, you said first hand information, implying that you, yourself had used those features on a P3. I only asked for a source, because there are so many people on here and other forums that seem to be plucking "information" from thin air. If you have a connection to a DJI engineer, then I understand that you can't compromise that confidentiality. I was simply trying to figure out where your information was coming from, not necessarily the name of an individual.

Do you have a link? Looks good!
No, sorry. Can't copy the text for some reason. Look in the comment section under the video on YouTube. First comment is about the app and the developer posted the link. It's an android app from what I can see. But I'm on android so... Weird thing is that the say on YouTube that it's for p3 and inspire but in appstore it says vision+. Since dji don't offer these features themselves this app would be awsome to use if it's good..

Guess I'm getting too old for this. I joined the group but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get to the discussion area

I bought the app!
Its amazing but you need the developer fw
Cool. Have you had the opportunity to try it out yet. Please comment once you do. Doesn't need to be technical. Just if it was smooth and easy to use..

Found this video on YouTube. Looks good with poi and cable cam. Has anyone tried their app?

This is something that really interests me - POI capability. However looking at the video, which from 11secs - 19 secs demonstrates the POI function, look at the video clip. That's not true POI - the nose isn't maintaining its focus on any one area. TBH, it just looks like a pan to me.

I understand that this is a beta version and that the graphics look great and that in the map view the nose of the red aircraft does exactly what is being proposed; it's just that the video doesn't match up to what's being seen in the map view.

Maybe the actual app works differently, but the YT video here just doesn't add up for me. I wish it did.

the app works differently... you have the option to point the phantom towards target, along path, point outward, and "cablecam"... i think you are looking for pointing "nose-in" or towards target. It works great. I will try to post a video later.. Cablecam is pretty awesome too- phantom goes in an orbit and you control yaw and pitch.

that's not to say the app is perfect. current issues:

1. laggy FPV compared to pilot app (author thinks it is an SDK issue and will hopefully improve with future SDK releases.

2. No camera settings - have to set your settings with the phantom pilot app then switch to litchi. Hopefully, the official release will include the manual camera settings..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20