phantom 3 drifts in a circle?

Reaction score
My Phantom 3 has been rock solid, when I hover at 6 or 7 feet (really at any height). Today, I took it out and had it do an auto take off, and it hovers, in a circle... ? Its is still facing forward, but instead of staying one place, it is doing a 2 or 3 foot diameter circle.

The only thing I can think is that I put on a polar pro polarized lens. Could this few extra grams of weight cause this to happen? I have never heard of anyone else having an issue after adding the lens?

Next step is going to be to do another IMU calibration (I had just done this yesterday, but with the stock lens). Hopefully I am not going to have to do an IMU calibration every time I switch lenses?

Thought, suggestions?

On naza based birds you would adjust the angle of the flight controller based on the magnetic declination to resolve exactally this problem...

But of course you can't on the P3. It hasn't had a hard crash that could have knocked something out of alignment has it?

Assuming you've tried compass calibrations and you were away from metal whilst calibrating and flying?

yeah.. GPS lock (although few than normal for P3, only 11). Definitely no hard landings, or metal objects. Basically same place I always take off from in my driveway. Am going to put factory lens back on and give it a try. Then will try IMU calibration with the Polar Pro lens and see if any of those make a difference. Still flys great, but wanting to make sure this isn't the symptoms of something worse to come.

UPDATE: with the stock DJI lens, it doesn't move around anymore, so next time I put the Polar Pro lens on, I will see if I get the same behavior again (might post a short vid). If it does, I will then do an IMU calibration and re-try.

Last edited:
Could be compass need recalibration. The other is it didn't get a good GPS lock. it seems if I wait a few seconds after motor arm to takeoff I get a couple more sats and it refines its position better and is more stable after lift off.

I was attending a SWAT conference and struck up a conversation a drone vendor. I told him about my 2 flyaways and he stated that he never had one. He said that his procedure is to take off, hover a few feet until the Phantom stabilizes, (no more circles) ascend 20' or so, check stabilization with hover, check # of sats, then proceed to fly mission. I do this every time now. It really doesn't take that much time and if it is a solid procedure, is well worth it!

I was attending a SWAT conference and struck up a conversation a drone vendor. I told him about my 2 flyaways and he stated that he never had one. He said that his procedure is to take off, hover a few feet until the Phantom stabilizes, (no more circles) ascend 20' or so, check stabilization with hover, check # of sats, then proceed to fly mission. I do this every time now. It really doesn't take that much time and if it is a solid procedure, is well worth it!

Yeah that happened to me today on my practice sessions, first time up with the new firmware and Android app. I did VPS Off and ON and took it up higher and she did calm down.
Still a little drift but it was not circles... I did two batteries tomorrow Ill go burn 4 and have a more relaxed flight. P3P

I had this issue a few days ago with my P3A and I upgraded to the latest firmware, did a cold IMU calibration and compass calibration and all seems to be right in the world. I think my issue had to do with the fact that my IMU calibration was done on a flat but slightly tilted table. Also make sure you do your compass calibration over grass in an area that is 10 feet away from any metal or magnets. Hope that helps.

The circle orbit in a hover is definitely a compass calibration problem. My vendor calls it the 'toilet bowl effect'. I've seen it happen after travelling a long way, if you fly without calibrating, you get the toilet bowl. Just do the calibration dance. It'll fix it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20