Phantom 3 DNG Compatibility in Mac OSX

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share something I noticed tonight. I did a search and saw that no one has posted this yet.

The problem
In the current latest version of Mac OS X (Yosemite 10.10.3 on 16 May 2015) there is no native support for the Phantom 3's DNG file. As a result DNG files will not open under Aperture, iPhoto or viewable in Preview.

Adobe Lightroom CC will open the DNG files however. But I really much prefer using Aperture over Lightroom (even if Aperture has reached End of Life).

Solution
However, this evening while going through some Phantom 3 samples I found out that if you:

- Process the Phantom 3's DNG files through the Inspire 1's DNG Cleaner; the output file will be readable natively under Mac OSX

The DNG Cleaner can be downloaded here (Mac version): http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/inspire_1/DJI_DNG_Cleaner_V1.1.dmg

The DNG Cleaner is also available for Windows too, but since people are likely to use Lightroom to view/edit the DNG files under Windows, you should already have file compatibility.

DJI's DNG Cleaner will also "clean up" the dead pixels that are seen in the original RAW files. this is something that the Inspire 1 and P2 Vision cameras have also had problems with in their DNG RAW output.

Anyway, this is a really massive benefit for my own DNG photography work flow since I can just press a button and have the DNG files readable natively under Mac OSX.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj