Phantom 3 crash motor obstructed caution

Reaction score
So I had my first real Phantom crash twice in a span of 5 minutes. I was doing a video shoot and hit an obstruction straight on. No prop guards installed it was slow and altitude was about 3'. I picked her up and powered off. Looked overeverything and surprisingly saw no physical damage. I powered back on the battery and had a "Motor Obstruction" caution. I spun each ptop individually and looked at the motors and saw no obstruction so I cleared the code and powered on the aircraft. The motors spun up with no adverse sounds, I pushed each controller stick to see that they operated correctly. I had all green lights, GPS, Battery etc. I went in to a hover and she immediately banked hard right crashing in to the side of the house. The battery ejected, had a prop break in 1/2 and one of the sensors that is attached to the right rear landing gear leg is hanging down but not broken. I brought her inside removed the props and powered her on again. The battery slid in okay she powered up no cautions the camera is working fine the engines run smoothly with no props installed. I honestly think I got lucky because I have the top 1/2 of an Astromech Droid glued to the top shell and it looks like he sustained the brunt of the impact lol.
So my question is what would cause the loss of control? As soon as I saw what was happening I tried to correct and had no stick response albeit it did happen very quickly. The engines seem to respond to stick input so I guess I need to know once she has lifted off what makes it not want to respond?
If you made it this far I thank you lol. Been flying for a few years now and been lucky I guess my luck ran out :/

We can analyze better if you post the logs.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

We can analyze better if you post the logs.

Thank you for your reply, and I have been on here enough to know that is usually the case with such crashes. I will be downloading the logs in the AM, I haven't had the opportunity to do so, not to get too graphic when I wrote my thesis above I was indisposed so to speak lmao.

Last edited:
Getting motor obstruction error message points to a glitch or a real problem. After seeing the second flight results I m sure there was a problem with the motor or its controls. It looks motor was unable to take load may be bearing got loose. It's obvious if motor gets locked during flight, you will lose control. Was there a chance of prop failure?

It didn't appear to be but it happened so quickly, you could be on to something in regards to everything seems to be okay until an actual load was put on the motors, maybe it was a compass issue, I think the best advice is to do what you said and download the logs before further I do any further speculation.

Sounds like that first crash knocked it silly! First crash would explain motor error and 2nd crash if it knocked it out of calibration. Maybe after seeing what logs show try recalibrating everything. Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20