Phantom 3 Chased by an Apache Attack Helicopter

Reaction score
Wow, what a day....

Where I live, theres a lot of military installations - nuclear sub base, military barracks - all that kinda stuff. Im conscious of this so I never record or take photos when near anything like that - keeping all things legal and on the right side of the law.

So whilst flying over the harbour exploring the scenery, no where near anything sensitive might I add, I noticed something flashing in the corner of my iPad screen. At first I thought it was a street cleaner or police car, because of the flashing light.

Then I noticed it rise slowly, so I turned and faced it. Then the penny dropped.... Police helicopter.

So in true cowardice fashion, I scarped and flew home as fast as I could. All the time, the noise of a large helicopter grew ever closer...

As I dived over a couple of fields and over some house, I realised I was still being chased.

I quickly landed the P3P, dumped it on the garden table, started turning it off and the noise became louder and louder. So I ran to the house to get my phone and this is what was following me......

I can honestly say, I've never been so scared in my life!

+1

Hmmm, after you eh???

Good story! Though if it were me, not what I would have done.

Descent to a safe altitude (aka, get out the way) and then stay put until the helio is gone. Think of it like boating... When a massive cruise ship is coming near my tiny little boat, I don't run away anywhere where I might be in its (unknown to me) path, but rather I get out of the way of anywhere it might go.

Helios won't go down to 100-200 ft unless there's a **** good reason. Even military birds.

Without two way radio, you need to make your intentions clear via your actions. Running back to your house, which might be in the helicopter's current flight path, is a bit dangerous. Getting low, out of the way, and staying put allows him to know you're aware of his presence and aren't trying to interfere.

What if he saw you, and was adjusting to move around you? Now you're running at 20-40 mph on a unknown-to-him heading? That might be worse. Just my thoughts anyway...

I don't think he was chasing you. I think they had other business and you just happened to be flying a drone in the area.

It flew over a mile in the same direction as me and then circled 3 times over where I live. So yeah, obviously just a coincidence.

It flew over a mile in the same direction as me and then circled 3 times over where I live. So yeah, obviously just a coincidence.

Yea, he might have been messing with you. Especially as a military helicopter may have the type of equipment required to pick up on/triangulate your 2.4 GHz control signal.

Depends what sort of mood the pilot was in. :)

Reactions: airforce1loz
Yea, he might have been messing with you. Especially as a military helicopter may have the type of equipment required to pick up on/triangulate your 2.4 GHz control signal.

Put it this way, I won't be flying over the harbour again. In hindsight, I was probably to close to the military base.

All this for a toy flying camera?

Reactions: unclejas

Likely just curious or thought he would give his mates a laugh.

Cool story brah

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4