Phantom 3 carbon fiber shell

This is something printed with it, looks fairly crap to me!
4A9ZrN.jpg

I wouldn't even need CF. Give me something light and stronger than the poorly designed/manufactured stock bottom shell and I'd be happy.
Find out what the 3DR Solo is made of, reports are that the material is incredibly resilient and tough. People are crashing their Solos and nobody has broken or bent a shell yet!

So I am in the process of making a landing gear cross member to protect my gimble and camera from carbon fiber. If my P3 cracks AFTER the warranty runs out I will have enough experience with the technique to make new carbon fiber pieces for my P3. I am finding out it is one of those things you have to do in order to be able to do it. It is sure not going to come out of any 3D printer unless you are willing to drop a huge, and I do mean HUGE amount of money.

I'm not sure how much yet, but I'm looking into the feasibility of designing a bottom half, and the cost associated with it. I'm an engineer, and think this can be done fairly easily, cost is the only issue for the design part. After the design is done, I think repeatable 3D printed shells can be made for <$500. To me, I'd pay that amount for the peace of mind of a robust aircraft frame. Thoughts?

Good idea. Not to put it down but I bought my P3A of craigslist with a case for $850. I'll take my chances and just buy a new one if it cracks. Reward vs risk is just not there for me.

I will love to buy one ,since I cracked my bottom shell after 100 flights .Please let me know if you have the part.Thanks

Or.. perhaps DJI will get smart and beat us all to a new she'll design... and discount to us ;)

I would do it for the weight savings and longer flight times.

But it would depend on who makes this. There's a lot of crappy CF sold out there. And Phantom shell has a ton of mounting points, tabs and details. I don't see anyone doing it cleanly,quite frankly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20