Phantom 3 Battery Horror Story

Reaction score
I brought a used battery for my P3A from a member on rcgroups for $80. I marked it as used so I would know which one it was. I was filming a wedding and was using the battery and it gave me a "battery cell" warning area ( 1st mistake). I was still in the middle of filming and figured hey I'll bring her down at 20% (2nd mistake) ...I just finished and brought her down and 1 ft from the ground she turned off and luckly just tipped one of the props in the dirt! Thank goodness it wasn't a long flight I would have been screwed!. I will never buy a used battery again!

I bought a new battery on Amazon from a DJI dealer. Cells 1 and 2 are already having issues. Less then 10 flights. I have 50+ on the original battery that came with the phantom, no problems with that one.

I should have known better it looked kinda roughed up but I needed the shot

I'm still waiting for the horror part of the story...
lol the horror story was it fell (1ft) but if I was out over the water like I usually am ...that would have been a gone phantom.

By any chance did you check battery life and condition on the GO app before the flight?

Yeh battery cell error is not an error to take lightly. Like stumbleBee is alluding too it's never a bad idea to check battery health before take off. I try to check when hovering too, especially if the flying conditions are less than optimal.

i had a battery error and when i landed the battery was partly separated from the battery box.
make sure you push them in all the way.

Reactions: StumbleBee
In other threads I have been severely chastised for suggesting that maybe batteries backing off have led to mysterious crashes. Posts 9&11 above, and similar posts in other threads, suggest that this is a real possibility. Some pilots have gotten angry at me for suggesting that it is possible that someone failed to make sure that their batteries were firmly clicked into place. They act as if I were personally attacking them rather than attempting to determine whether 'loose' batteries are a factor in a larger percentage of mysterious crashes.
Regardless of whether I am right or wrong, I think we have established that it happens. You two guys got Battery Error messages and responded properly. How many pilots never saw the message or if they did failed to recognize the importance?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj