Phantom 3 Battery Covers - protect battery terminals from a short circuit

I just released a new product -- battery covers to protect the terminals on your Phantom batteries. While most people will use them while traveling on airlines (since the FAA requires the terminals to be covered), they might also be useful in other scenarios where you want to keep the terminals protected.

Like my other products, all I'm asking is for you to cover the cost of shipping. However, you're certainly welcome to make a donation if you would like to support my mission to create more unique Phantom products :)

View attachment 41685

View attachment 41684

You can find more details and/or order a battery cover at:
https://www.PhantomHelp.com/BatteryCovers.

Will the battery still fit into the DJI backpack nicely or does it keep the battery from seating in the foam properly? If you're interested, I'd be willing to help test it for you and give you feedback and take photos for you.

Will the battery still fit into the DJI backpack nicely
They are pretty thin, so they should fit into any case -- unless the cutout rubs tightly against the side of the battery. There is no need to use these if you're only storing your batteries in a case though.

I just received four of the battery covers. They seem to fit very well.

My only disappointment is that the batteries will not fit into the DJI hardshell case with the battery covers on.

Since I only have a few batteries that can be all carried in the hardshell case, I don't have a lot of use for the covers at the moment. My guess is they are mainly useful when transporting batteries outside the case for safety and for inspection by a concerned TSA person.

My guess is they are mainly useful when transporting batteries outside the case
Correct. When in your case, the terminals are already protected.

I just released a new product -- battery covers to protect the terminals on your Phantom 3 batteries. While most people will use them while traveling on airlines (since the FAA requires the terminals to be covered), they might also be useful in other scenarios where you want to keep the terminals protected.

Like my other products, all I'm asking is for you to cover the cost of shipping. However, you're certainly welcome to make a donation if you would like to support my mission to create more unique Phantom products :)

View attachment 41685

View attachment 41684

You can find more details and/or order a battery cover at:
www.PhantomHelp.com/P3BatteryCovers
I purchased 8 of these for Phantom 3 batteries - they are a very useful, they also give you that extra bit of security to prevent any shorting out and they are very well made and fit perfectly. 10/10

Reactions: msinger
they also give you that extra bit of security to prevent any shorting out

I would love to know what scenario could occur where you could 'accidentally' short out these batteries? You accidentally shove a paper clip into both slots and pinch them together? You 'accidentally' unfold a paper clip and shove the ends in both slots? You just happen to have a piece of wire with spade lugs on both ends and it accidentally happens to get both ends inserted into the drone battery? You drop the battery into a vat of electrically conductive paint? The terminals are recessed well into the battery. I mean, how the heck? Really?

When I was building the granddaughter's Halloween costume for this year (which will be powered by two of my P3P batteries) I spent quite a bit of time actually getting the terminals to connect to something and it involved 3D printing a holder to correctly position wires with spade lugs on them.

(1 of two P3 batteries inside the costume).

It powers this:

So you might imagine I have done quite a bit of work actually getting a good connection from the battery (while not in the drone).

If the FAA is in freak-out mode with possible shorts of these batteries. This must simply light their hair on fire:
6060cb10-9fce-4974-a2d7-753722b1c7a6_1.6a3050f0c73e2e29621c03498b93f2ea.jpeg

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I would love to know what scenario could occur where you could 'accidentally' short out these batteries?
That would be a great question to ask the FAA. They require the terminals to be covered when flying. See more details here.

Reactions: Wolfiesden
That would be a great question to ask the FAA. They require the terminals to be covered when flying. See more details here.
They ARE protected as delivered by DJI straight from the factory:

Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)
The battery terminals must be protected from short circuit.

The terminals are by design, protected from short circuit by being substantially recessed into the battery housing.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
This applies to mobility aids:
(17)(ii) The operator must verify that:
(B) Battery terminals are protected from short circuits (e.g., enclosed within a battery housing)
This applies to consumer electronics
Spare lithium batteries also must be carried on one's person or in carry-on baggage only and must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placement in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g., by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch)

The second section applies to batteries with exposed terminals such as those found in consumer electronics (phones/tablets) which DO have exposed terminals for the most part.

The terminals are recessed and can not "accidentally" be shorted.
The terminals are enclosed within the battery housing.
The terminals are "othewise insulated" via design of the housing.

This is what that regulation applies to:
Prolong-Cell-Phone-Battery-Life.jpg

I absolutely agree that if those are carried as spares, the terminals need to be covered. Simply throwing them in a bag with keys or spare changes is a danger.

I absolutely agree that if those are carried as spares, the terminals need to be covered.
I'm glad you agree. That's why I made these covers ;)

The costume is why I asked you a while back if you were sharing the STL. Thought I could adapt the "cover" to be a terminal. But I got one figured out and printed. Definitely looking forward to recording some drone video of GD12 and her costume this year as she is out by my light show and as she ToT down the blocks :)

I would love to know what scenario could occur where you could 'accidentally' short out these batteries? You accidentally shove a paper clip into both slots and pinch them together? You 'accidentally' unfold a paper clip and shove the ends in both slots? You just happen to have a piece of wire with spade lugs on both ends and it accidentally happens to get both ends inserted into the drone battery? You drop the battery into a vat of electrically conductive paint? The terminals are recessed well into the battery. I mean, how the heck? Really?

When I was building the granddaughter's Halloween costume for this year (which will be powered by two of my P3P batteries) I spent quite a bit of time actually getting the terminals to connect to something and it involved 3D printing a holder to correctly position wires with spade lugs on them.

It powers this:

So you might imagine I have done quite a bit of work actually getting a good connection from the battery (while not in the drone).

If the FAA is in freak-out mode with possible shorts of these batteries. This must simply light their hair on fire:

It powers this:

I do my what I can to prevent accidents. If you look at most accidents around the world whether minor or major the excuse is usually IF ONLY I HAD DONE THIS.

I just received four of the battery covers. They seem to fit very well.

My only disappointment is that the batteries will not fit into the DJI hardshell case with the battery covers on.

Since I only have a few batteries that can be all carried in the hardshell case, I don't have a lot of use for the covers at the moment. My guess is they are mainly useful when transporting batteries outside the case for safety and for inspection by a concerned TSA person.
Mine fit in the DJI case ok - take another look and push a little harder and the foam will give way to the shape.

It powers this:

It powers this:

These Lipo batteries need to be treated with great care and attention and I consider it to be my responsibility to do what I can to prevent accidents, there are people on this site that are very knowledgeable about all kinds of subjects and I respect what they have to say on there chosen subject, that includes these batteries as they can be very dangerous. Take the time to search for Lipo batteries and you will see what I mean.

A caution with the covers is that the plastic spades are not stout and break pretty easily. I didn't realize I had broken one but I did and it was very stuck deep in the battery recess. I figured it out of course when the battery would not seat. I had to use a paperclip and a lot of time to fish it out. The covers came with a warning to be careful when using them. I no longer use them. Now, I put the batteries in a anti-burn bag and store them in a ammo can. On flight days I put the batteries in their individual slots in the backpack.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using PhantomPilots mobile app

A caution with the covers is that the plastic spades are not stout and break pretty easily.
They should not break easily. However, if you apply pressure to them from the side, they will most definitely become weaker and/or snap off.

They should not break easily. However, if you apply pressure to them from the side, they will most definitely become weaker and/or snap off.
Mileage may vary for sure. I'm not sure how the spade broke off. But when it did it was buried deep in the slot. I think I used a paper clip to remove it. It was not fun. They are a great idea, just my experience was less than optimum. The design seems just about perfect and you wouldn't think you could get lateral pressure on the spades but some how I did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20