Phantom 3 Battery Covers - protect battery terminals from a short circuit

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
I just released a new product -- battery covers to protect the terminals on your Phantom 3 batteries. While most people will use them while traveling on airlines (since the FAA requires the terminals to be covered), they might also be useful in other scenarios where you want to keep the terminals protected.

2.jpg

1.jpg

You can find more details and/or order a battery cover at:
www.PhantomHelp.com/P3BatteryCovers

Last edited:
Reactions: Cale262
Just click the link above :)

Although it's logical to cover the contacts to increase safety, and I'm all for that, I haven't see the airline regulation specifically stating they must be covered, "only protected against short". It could be argued the design of the battery protects again short, since the brass contacts are recessed, virtually impossible to short unless you try.

I travel with my Phantom all the time and one time TSA looked at my 4 batteries and said nothing about covering the contacts. Maybe it was because they were held snugly in my backpack insert, which is another way of protecting against short in their eyes.

Can you disclose the thickness of the male plastic blades that slide into the female battery contacts? What is the thickness of the Phantom male brass contact in comparison? It appears the end of that plastic blade looks square instead of tapered like the Phantom male blade. Can you provide a closeup photo of the end of the plastic blade?

Interesting product, nice idea. However I'm hesitant to insert plastic into the brass contacts, introducing the possibility of plastic wear residue on the contacts over time. However I might be too **** on that concern, not sure. I've never seen anyone else do this, thinking there might be a reason. Too bad there's not another way to securely clip a cover over the contacts without the need to insert plastic into the female contact.

I just released a new product -- battery covers to protect the terminals on your Phantom batteries. While most people will use them while traveling on airlines (since the FAA requires the terminals to be covered), they might also be useful in other scenarios where you want to keep the terminals protected.

Like my other products, all I'm asking is for you to cover the cost of shipping. However, you're certainly welcome to make a donation if you would like to support my mission to create more unique Phantom products :)

View attachment 41685

View attachment 41684

You can find more details and/or order a battery cover at:
https://www.PhantomHelp.com/BatteryCovers.
I wonder if having the spade "pins" a bit shorter would be a good idea. still enough to grab, but if one of the long ones snap, it would be a PITA to get it out. Also saves on filament. Nice job BTW!

Maybe it was because they were held snugly in my backpack insert, which is another way of protecting against short in their eyes.
I'm assuming storing them in battery slots within a case is good enough. If you store your batteries loosely in a carry-on bag, then the battery contacts need to be covered (according to the FAA).

Can you disclose the thickness of the male plastic blades that slide into the female battery contacts?
They are about .1 mm thinner than the blades in the Phantom.

Can you provide a closeup photo of the end of the plastic blade?
Here's the model:

Model.png

I wonder if having the spade "pins" a bit shorter would be a good idea. still enough to grab
I think I could make them a little shorter, but probably not much. I don't think that'll make them less prone to breaking though. I went through about 10 iterations until I came up with this design. Applying excessive force to the side of the plastic pins would definitely snap them off -- but, you'd have to be trying to damage them. They are pretty strong.

Reactions: LWC1496
I like the idea of making them a little shorter. But I suggest consider making them .5mm or .7mm thinner and see if they stay in place, the thinner the better, while providing enough friction to hold them in place. I'd also recommend tapering the end a little for easier insertion, less stress to the Phantom contacts and less wear to the plastic that might leave residue. Something similar to this below, left side.
upload_2016-1-25_11-48-58.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. Keep in mind that making parts thinner often makes them more brittle. I'm always up for some experimenting to make the parts better though :)

I would also be worried about wear on the gold plating by the plastic which typically is rather abrasive.

For those that have received these, do you have any comments on them? I haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming you are all enjoying them :)

Wouldn't the metal tabs be more abrasive? As far as I know, the metal tabs don't cause any issues.

No.

I am a bit confused as to why you say on your website "Why is this free?
Phantom Help wants to help you fly safely—and fly with peace of mind." But when asked if you will release the STL file so we can print our own you say no.
Is this just because you think someone will print them and sell them?
I would be interested in printing my own rather than shipping a "free" one all the way to the UK.
Great design work by the way.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

But when asked if you will release the STL file so we can print our own you say no.
Is this just because you think someone will print them and sell them?
Right. I don't share my models. Sorry :(

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Right. I don't share my models. Sorry :(
This is a great idea and what you offer to the community here by way of advice and innovative products is amazing.

The contacts may well be Phospher Bronze or Berryllium Copper in preference to brass, principally due to the expected number of make/break connectiins in service, the reliance on spring tension for reliable connection and corrosion resistance given the expected operating environment. Both alternatives are provide improved abrasion resistance also. This is one instance where i wouldnt be adverse to inserting a plastic component into a female receptacle. Even if the size is slightly larger it will almost certainly be within the design limits of the spring contact.

Fully appreciate your reluctance to share the tool path. Others may well have their own take on how this solution may be implemented and i would encourage them to develop and share their solution.

For those that have received these, do you have any comments on them? I haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming you are all enjoying them :)

They fit great. Perfect amount of tension to hold them in position securely without having to force them in or out. Not sure how necessary they really are, but I like them!

Good to hear!

The idea is to use them for when traveling via a plane and carrying them loosely in a carry-on bag. But, you could really use them in any scenario where you need to protect the battery terminals.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj