Phantom 3 and IPad 2 mini

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the P3 will work ok with an IPad Mini 2 wifi only? looking at different forums some say yes some say no? any advice will be helpful

It'll work fine (I used that combination for some time off and on), but the limitation of the wifi only is it does not have GPS so the new follow me feature in DJIs GO app will not work unless you buy an external GPS receiver.

The only other thing to consider is its two generations back now so the CPU will start to struggle in the coming years as more demands are put on it by software.

Can anyone tell me if the P3 will work ok with an IPad Mini 2 wifi only? looking at different forums some say yes some say no? any advice will be helpful

Yep, works fine. Get the cellular/gps if you want to use the follow me function or you'll need a separate gps receiver.

I only use mine for flying the p3 - only have the dji go app installed & nothing else.
I've had no problems with overheating / video lag etc

It'll work fine (I used that combination for some time off and on), but the limitation of the wifi only is it does not have GPS so the new follow me feature in DJIs GO app will not work unless you buy an external GPS receiver.

The only other thing to consider is its two generations back now so the CPU will start to struggle in the coming years as more demands are put on it by software.
Thank you, very helpful

So will maps, go home and POI work ok without the cellular part?

Thank you, very helpful

So will maps, go home and POI work ok without the cellular part?

Return to home will work and bring it back to the take off point, maps if away from home (your wifi) will be a bit hit and miss, it is meant to cache the map if you view the area before you visit but I found it a bit unreliable. You could pair the iPad to your phone for data access in the field if you need it. When I flew without map I relied on the camera view and of course you can still see the track and direction its facing on the empty map view.

DJI GOs POI will also work fine.

If you already have the iPad 2 Mini and thinking about getting the Phantom 3 it will get you in the air no problems and work well. But if you have not yet picked up the iPad 2 Mini and may want to use GPS related features in the future MattyDreads suggestion of the Cellular version will work out cheaper than the iPad Mini 2 and external receiver, and you do not need the data plan to use GPS its just that GPS was not included in the Wifi version.

Very helpful, I have the P3 advanced using an iPhone 6 but I feel as though I need a bigger screen and something without loads of apps and hardly any memory left, the IPad 2 mini seemed a cheap and good solution but if I don't get the full use of the functions I may have to have a rethink

Very helpful, I have the P3 advanced using an iPhone 6 but I feel as though I need a bigger screen and something without loads of apps and hardly any memory left, the IPad 2 mini seemed a cheap and good solution but if I don't get the full use of the functions I may have to have a rethink

I used an ipad mini 2 up until yesterday. Everything worked fine. No lag and no overheating.

I DID just purchase a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" for use w/litchi. It's so light and works great too.

I used a new ipad mini 2 +cellular in my last 3 flights.In all of them i had lag in last 3' of the flight.At the 3nd one Dji pilot app crashed and had to restart it.All this time my P3A was just hanging there...1.590 meters away from me.I think A7 chip is not enough for flying stable.
My next step is to try these things :
HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI Pilot app performance | DJI Phantom Forum.
Especially No. 7 i read that will do the trick.I will update.

PS.My ipad has only DJI pilot installed

No7 did not work.Lag occurs when p3 has low video signal.So that is the problem i guess.Just have to fly low distances or better,free of signal interference,territories!

I am waiting for my range extender to update

I used a new ipad mini 2 +cellular in my last 3 flights.In all of them i had lag in last 3' of the flight.At the 3nd one Dji pilot app crashed and had to restart it.All this time my P3A was just hanging there...1.590 meters away from me.I think A7 chip is not enough for flying stable.
My next step is to try these things :
HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI Pilot app performance | DJI Phantom Forum.
Especially No. 7 i read that will do the trick.I will update.

PS.My ipad has only DJI pilot installed

I completely agree.. I had a mini 2 cellular and it would get really hot in 10 minutes then the lag would start. I've since upgraded to an iPad Air 2 which has the A8x chip, and have had no issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31