Phantom 3 and FLIR Tau-2 Camera Core

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I just purchased a Phantom 3 Professional and have a FLIR Tau-2 camera core that I'd like to install on a gimbal mount. Not sure if I can use the stock 4K camera gimbal or need an after market one like the "Beholder Lite GoPro Brushless" gimbal. Has anyone in the community assembled such a configuration? I've seen a setup for a Phantom 2 but wasn't sure if that would work with the 3 Pro.
Cheers!
- CraigNT55

Reactions: cHris Rubeiz
I am also interested in a FLIR on the P3. I'm looking for a thermal setup for search and rescue operations. I've seen several phantom 2 setups but really like my P3 and would like the same system for SAR.

Wouldn't this make more sense of a model that didn't come with a camera? Like one of the P2 models?

e_tietze, we run a Search and Rescue using the UAV. We have our SFOC from Transport Canada and we have Flir camera's we use in the field etc. Let me know more of what you do, want to do and where you are.

I am also interested in a FLIR on the P3. I'm looking for a thermal setup for search and rescue operations. I've seen several phantom 2 setups but really like my P3 and would like the same system for SAR.

e_tietze, we run a Search and Rescue using the UAV. We have our SFOC from Transport Canada and we have Flir camera's we use in the field etc. Let me know more of what you do, want to do and where you are.

@boltent I am very interested in what you have made for SAR. I work with a local public safety agency and I can see lots of possibilities. My first challenge is to make it clear that the UAV will augment, not replace, manned aircraft. I think my demo yesterday changed some minds and turned a few heads. I am a certified thermographer so I understand the technology and usage of thermal imaging. Hopefully this is enough to know I'm serious :) I can be reached at [email protected].

Hello Everyone,
I just purchased a Phantom 3 Professional and have a FLIR Tau-2 camera core that I'd like to install on a gimbal mount. Not sure if I can use the stock 4K camera gimbal or need an after market one like the "Beholder Lite GoPro Brushless" gimbal. Has anyone in the community assembled such a configuration? I've seen a setup for a Phantom 2 but wasn't sure if that would work with the 3 Pro.
Cheers!
- CraigNT55

I to am interested in this thread. I have a Seek Thermal camera that plugs into my Note 4 cell phone, at $200 I thought it was a great deal. I have been working with thermal cameras since back in the mid 90's. Worked on the imaging package of the OH-58D helicopter, man oh man was that thing cool!

Kowa%20Warrior%2011%20March%202012.jpg

Hello Everyone,
Cheers!
- CraigNT55

Here is a little video you may be interested in if you had not seen it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So, Lot's of interest in this idea. I don't know if I'd gimbal it as the quality of the pic isn't that good. I was thinking of just rear mounting at a 45 degree angle facing the rear and turn the quad around if needed. I'm more interested in how to hook up to the wireless and getting a switch happening to switch between either camera.

Bob

Reactions: BigAl07
So, Lot's of interest in this idea. I don't know if I'd gimbal it as the quality of the pic isn't that good. I was thinking of just rear mounting at a 45 degree angle facing the rear and turn the quad around if needed. I'm more interested in how to hook up to the wireless and getting a switch happening to switch between either camera.

Bob
Here is an example of how it can be done. I'm not endorsing this company just giving some ideas of how it can be done with the factory camera/gimbal.
Phantom 3 T03 Pro Kit With Thermal FLIR VUE Camera Ready-to-Fly

Thanks for the post BigA107,
What I am looking for is a wiring diagram between the Lightbridge and the Flir. The company is using a Vue which is the newest and easiest to hook up but also out of my expense level. Anyone else out there with some experience?

Bob

I think Im looking for the same thing as Airbornemedic. I want to integrate into the Phantom Video TX itself so I can view FPV on the existing software/app on the ground. I can buy a mini FLIR for about $60. I dont see a point in adding weight for a separate video TX for a second on board camera.

That is a CMOS camera the Sony is a CCD, might have good low light capability and might have some IR sensitivity or some such but its not a "FLIR" camera FLIR is "Forward Looking Infra Red" and good FLIR cameras with good resolution are much more than $60. Notice the Min Lumen? FLIR does not need any visible lumens at all.

Brand Name: Emax
Item Name: Emax Night Vision IR 1/3-inch COMS FPV Video Camera
Size: 32*32*45mm
Weight:17g
System:pAL/NTSC
Resolution: PAL: 720H x 576V
Effective resolution: PAL: 976H×582V NTSC: 976Hx494V
Horizontal resolution:800TVL
Min lumen: 0.1LUX/F1.2

That is a CMOS camera the Sony is a CCD, might have good low light capability and might have some IR sensitivity or some such but its not a "FLIR" camera FLIR is "Forward Looking Infra Red" and good FLIR cameras with good resolution are much more than $60. Notice the Min Lumen? FLIR does not need any visible lumens at all.

Brand Name: Emax
Item Name: Emax Night Vision IR 1/3-inch COMS FPV Video Camera
Size: 32*32*45mm
Weight:17g
System:pAL/NTSC
Resolution: PAL: 720H x 576V
Effective resolution: PAL: 976H×582V NTSC: 976Hx494V
Horizontal resolution:800TVL
Min lumen: 0.1LUX/F1.2

Hats to you, bnut Im not looking to add a $2,000 - $10,000 add on. I dont need military grade IR. I just want to fly at night and integrate with the onboard phantom vTX.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers