Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom 3 Advanced - Which is better video to work with? 24 or 60 fps?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by NoOne, Jun 12, 2015.

1. NoOne

I have a P3A and I have been shooting in 1080p 60. Coming right off the camera and watching it on a 1080p 60 plasma, the video looks great. Rendering 1080p 24 video out of Final Cut Pro X, it looks like crap using various Compressor outputs, jittery video in my opinion. Is there any way to overcome this? Does anyone have any recommended output settings in Compressor to make this video look smooth and cinematic? Or should I just shoot in 24fps?

2. freeskier989

Keep shooting in 1080p 60fps, but when you create your timeline in FCPX create it at 1080p 30fps. Then export file for final. No need to use compressor.

3. 4wd

4wd

It will be missing frames unless you only reduce to 30fps - you could try recording at 50fps - will need to switch to PAL maybe.
    Most of the time I don't see need to use these higher frame rates unless you are recording at fast moving things or can't pan slowly.

4. DrChris

Also watch shutter speed. If you're at 24 FPS, you shouldn't have a shutter speed faster than 1/50 or so. If the shutter speed is too fast, the video can appear have a stutter effect. You may need ND filters to allow you to move to such a slow shutter speed if you're in bright light.

Chris