Phantom 3 Advanced Video Lag SOLVED!

Reaction score
I have a 4 month old Phantom 3 Advanced and I've noticed that the lag on my Nexus 7 2013 (unlocked & rooted) has become worse,about 4-6 seconds.
After much interweb searching, I came across a piece by Godfear17 and his approach to the video lag which involved stripping down the gimbal and adding/replacing the thermal pads.
The thermal pads were ordered off Fleabay for the price of a beer and I set about doing the job.

It is not that difficult if you take your time. I have tested the video link to the tablet and can confirm there is now NO lag. This fix DOES work.

I have attached a few photos which may help anyone attempting to have ago.

20160819_130812.jpg

20160819_125134.jpg

20160819_130254.jpg

20160819_140017.jpg

Last edited:
So the assumption is there is no thermal bridge to take the heat from the chip to the heat-sink (which would then transfer it into the atmosphere)? That would definitely cause over heating on the chip for sure. Maybe the person responsible for applying the thermal pads had to take a PEE break and the production line didn't want to wait :)

Can you un-do it for us and make a BEFORE & AFTER video? Just kidding LOL

But to anyone else who is debating this solution make us a before & after video showing the lag and lack of lag.

Reactions: soupbone10
So the assumption is there is no thermal bridge to take the heat from the chip to the heat-sink (which would then transfer it into the atmosphere)? That would definitely cause over heating on the chip for sure. Maybe the person responsible for applying the thermal pads had to take a PEE break and the production line didn't want to wait :)

Can you un-do it for us and make a BEFORE & AFTER video? Just kidding LOL

But to anyone else who is debating this solution make us a before & after video showing the lag and lack of lag.
This is the forum member who has the most info, I believe he may be making a how-to video at some point.
Phantom 3 Advanced Video Lag FIXED! – UAVDoc

Reactions: BigAl07
I always thought my video lag was due to interference but I might have to do some of my own testing after seeing this post. I myself am using a Nexus 7 Gen2 with my P3A.

I had video lag in DJI GO and Litchi when using an underpowered tablet. Switching to a new tablet fixed that. So there might several causes for it.

I had video lag in DJI GO and Litchi when using an underpowered tablet. Switching to a new tablet fixed that. So there might several causes for it.

Is a Nexus 7 2013 still fast enough?

Dear soupbone10, I currently have the same problem you mentioned you fixed a few months ago(vídeo lag of 1-2 seconds). I have the current DJI go app and firmware 1.8 (had 1.9 but downgraded to see if it fixed the problem which it didn't)
I am wondering what do you make of this problem now? Why did it start happening? (My P3A just turned one year old). Problem started around May/June.
I am in Mexico and before I get into opening the gimbal or sending it to get fixed somewhere here you might have another suggestion?
Thanks for your valuable input in advance!

I have a 4 month old Phantom 3 Advanced and I've noticed that the lag on my Nexus 7 2013 (unlocked & rooted) has become worse,about 4-6 seconds.
After much interweb searching, I came across a piece by Godfear17 and his approach to the video lag which involved stripping down the gimbal and adding/replacing the thermal pads.
The thermal pads were ordered off Fleabay for the price of a beer and I set about doing the job.

It is not that difficult if you take your time. I have tested the video link to the tablet and can confirm there is now NO lag. This fix DOES work.

I have attached a few photos which may help anyone attempting to have ago.

View attachment 62648
View attachment 62649
View attachment 62650
View attachment 62651

Dear soupbone10, I currently have the same problem you mentioned you fixed a few months ago(vídeo lag of 1-2 seconds). I have the current DJI go app and firmware 1.8 (had 1.9 but downgraded to see if it fixed the problem which it didn't)
I am wondering what do you make of this problem now? Why did it start happening? (My P3A just turned one year old). Problem started around May/June.
I am in Mexico and before I get into opening the gimbal or sending it to get fixed somewhere here you might have another suggestion?
Thanks for your valuable input in advance!

I put my Nexus 7 in airplane mode and it seems to work perfectly with no lag. I just have location on and nothing else.

I put my Nexus 7 in airplane mode and it seems to work perfectly with no lag. I just have location on and nothing else.
so? Is this still working for you? you posted back in late 2016, just wondering if you have experienced any lag since then and if this or some other "fix" worked?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub