Phantom 3 advanced started flying away

Reaction score
I was doing a night flight at my house so I could do a video of the city lights from a distance. I started up my p3a and it did its checks and everything checked ok, it found 19 satellites and all the sensors said they were ok. I flew my p3a straight up, I was at around 400ft when I noticed on my screen the distance was increasing and I wasn't touching the stick to make it go anywhere. I could see the lights of my p3a and sure enough it was going further away from me. I hit the return to home button and I also held the left control stick down to bring the p3a back down. It eventually came back but not sure why it would just start flying away on me. I am running firmware version 1.4.

If you upload your TXT flight log here, we can take a look and see if it reveals anything. If needed, you can find instructions for retrieving your TXT flight log here.

Where you flying in P mode? The fact RTH executed suggests there were sufficient satellites acquired and you had signal.

This is failed to start flying (by you) rather than starting to fly away. The phantom was happily holding altitude awaiting your commands.

I just watched my flight under the flight records. I was flying straight up and about 390ft the HS went to about 2m/s and I wasn't touching the right controller stick at all. I was in P-gps mode. I finally noticed at about 600 feet away and hit the RTH button but it kept going to about 637 feet before it actually started coming back. The whole time from 600 feet until it came back I was holding the down left stick to bring it back down. Is it possible that it was windy up there and it was blowing my P3A away? There was no real wind at ground level

I just watched my flight under the flight records. I was flying straight up and about 390ft the HS went to about 2m/s and I wasn't touching the right controller stick at all. I was in P-gps mode. I finally noticed at about 600 feet away and hit the RTH button but it kept going to about 637 feet before it actually started coming back. The whole time from 600 feet until it came back I was holding the down left stick to bring it back down. Is it possible that it was windy up there and it was blowing my P3A away? There was no real wind at ground level
Yes

Does flying when it is dark out somehow mess with the vision position system?

How strong would the wind have to be to be able to blow the P3A away? Cant these things hold there own pretty well? I mean it is possible that as I was bringing it down that the wind speed may have decreased allowing it to come back

I took a look at my txt flight logs and it shows the P3A was in P-gps mode the whole time. Started out with 15 satellites and ended up with 19 for most of the flight. Where it shows speed on the chart is that vertical or horizontal speed? It doesn't show any errors or anything.

I took a look at my txt flight logs and it shows the P3A was in P-gps mode the whole time. Started out with 15 satellites and ended up with 19 for most of the flight. Where it shows speed on the chart is that vertical or horizontal speed? It doesn't show any errors or anything.

You should upload the logs as requested earlier and allow the community to review them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on a side note, is there a website or something that can tell you what your wind speeds are for you area at ground level and at certain heights? The wind can always be a lot stronger higher up than at ground level.

Does flying when it is dark out somehow mess with the vision position system?
The VPS only works in well lit situations, so yes, flying in the dark would make it unusable.
But the VPS only works up to 3 metres off the ground so that's not going to be a factor in this case.
How strong would the wind have to be to be able to blow the P3A away? Cant these things hold there own pretty well?
The Phantom can hold position in 20+ knots of wind.

Without seeing the Phantomhelp.com analysis, we can only guess what might have happened.

How are your sticks configured? If I read right, you had no right stick, but left stick (Mode 2) normally does throttle and therefore altitude.

on a side note, is there a website or something that can tell you what your wind speeds are for you area at ground level and at certain heights? The wind can always be a lot stronger higher up than at ground level.

A couple of members mentioned the flight log file was needed to best help you. For some unknown reason you ignored them and continued on asking additional questions.

Without viewing the flight log file, it's all speculation and wasted time.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav