Phantom 3 Advanced Reliability

How reliable is the P3A?

No redundancy for motors / ESCs / props, flight controller (possible exceptions for gyro's and acc's that may be redundant), battery,.. means over a dozen single points of catastrophic failure. So no, not very reliable in any absolute sense. Someone mentioned 94 flights with no problems; lets say that is 94 x ~17 minutes or ~28 hours. Imagine declaring your car reliable because you hadnt had a single failure all week!

Compared to other brands or types; not enough data to say anything meaningful. Probably not better or worse than the competition, but the point Im trying to make is, these things are by their very nature unreliable and they do crash.

P3A is a good drone to buy, go for it. If interested in 4K photography, then go for P3P. Both are great aircrafts.

No redundancy for motors / ESCs / props, flight controller (possible exceptions for gyro's and acc's that may be redundant), battery,.. means over a dozen single points of catastrophic failure. So no, not very reliable in any absolute sense. Someone mentioned 94 flights with no problems; lets say that is 94 x ~17 minutes or ~28 hours. Imagine declaring your car reliable because you hadnt had a single failure all week!

Compared to other brands or types; not enough data to say anything meaningful. Probably not better or worse than the competition, but the point Im trying to make is, these things are by their very nature unreliable and they do crash.

Yeah I guess it depends on what your point-of-view is. The days of RC that I come from, nothing was reliable unless you made it such, nothing was guaranteed. To buy a model, spend your time and effort building it and obsessing over the smallest details, just to have a setting off, or a glitch or hiccup first time in the air, and the whole thing came crashing down. There was no-one to complain about reliability to.

I consider nothing in RC reliable long term, catastrophies happen. I do consider my P3A reliable in the fact that it obeys my stick commands, gives me mostly good telemetry, and has done this for 8-10 hours in the air. In fact these things are the holy grail of what I wanted 10-15 years ago. It is truly surreal to be able to fly this device so far away, and rely on the screen to get it back safely, full video feed the entire time. I'm satisfied. In fact if it plunged to the ground tomorrow, I'd still consider myself fortunate to be able to have experienced this quad. Money well spent.

The days of RC that I come from, nothing was reliable unless you made it such, nothing was guaranteed. To buy a model, spend your time and effort building it and obsessing over the smallest details, just to have a setting off, or a glitch or hiccup first time in the air, and the whole thing came crashing down. There was no-one to complain about reliability to.

True, but in those days, we flew line of sight, and usually over a designated RC field. And there where like 27 people flying RC in the world. Well not much more anyway ;). These days everybody owns a drone, they are flown everywhere and way beyond visual contact. Its a different world, and not a safer one just because we have RTH.

I'm a former P3S owner and I sold it and I'm planning to get the P3A.

How reliable is the P3A? How many of you have never had any problems? Is the range what DJI advertises? Is there any jello in your videos?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I have flown mine with the only problem being a horizon off level, which turned out to be my surface when I calibrated the IMU and gimbal was not level. I used a sheet of glass and a level to get a perfect level during calibration. I use filters so I have not seen any jello effects. Make sure if you do buy one, you get it from a place that will refund your money in case you get a dud.

Me too... Very happy with it. 600km and 500h of flying. No issue except for few errors I provoked, like lifting off a roof (metal) compass errors and bird wandering off. Caught in time. Aircraft is A1 and flies great. Also use the Lens Filters. They do make a difference, gotta know how to use them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20