Phantom 3 Advanced Owners with the bad 2 - 6 second video lag [FINALLY FIXED!]

Report back your outcome!

GodFear17; Update: I received my blue thermal pads you said to purchase for the fix for the gimbal. I opened the gimbal and added one pad, and replaced the existing two pads. I notice you did the same. My reasoning is that since they possibly skimped on not using one small pad, that they may have skimped on the quality of the existing pads. So, I replaced the existing pads as well. I put it all back together and took it out for a test. All went well. There were no problems. Fortunately for us in Southern California, it is cooler this week. So, as a result, I had no problem with lag as it was only 81F when I left the park. But, next week it will be up into the triple digits again. I will test it then and let you know the results. Thanks

Gimbal 1st Opened.JPG

Gimbal Thermal Pads replcd.JPG

I never thought I would be wanting triple digit temperatures. But, only for one week.

GodFear17; Update: I received my blue thermal pads you said to purchase for the fix for the gimbal. I opened the gimbal and added one pad, and replaced the existing two pads. I notice you did the same. My reasoning is that since they possibly skimped on not using one small pad, that they may have skimped on the quality of the existing pads. So, I replaced the existing pads as well. I put it all back together and took it out for a test. All went well. There were no problems. Fortunately for us in Southern California, it is cooler this week. So, as a result, I had no problem with lag as it was only 81F when I left the park. But, next week it will be up into the triple digits again. I will test it then and let you know the results. Thanks

View attachment 61705

View attachment 61706

I never thought I would be wanting triple digit temperatures. But, only for one week.
Hi. Can you tell me if the task of gimbal opening is a simple one, and how the old pads are removed and the new ones attached. Visually what is the difference between the old and new pads? Thanks

Hi. Can you tell me if the task of gimbal opening is a simple one, and how the old pads are removed and the new ones attached. Visually what is the difference between the old and new pads? Thanks

Opening the gimbal for me was not difficult as I have been in the gimbal before. It does help to have experience and that would be a question that only you can answer based on your experience as well as your level of expertise in performing what I would call micro electronic repairs.

How old are the existing pads? I don't know because I am not familiar with what would constitute a new or old thermal pad or if it makes any difference in the use of that pad. The visual difference in the pads are the color. The existing pads were pink and the pads Godfear17 suggested I purchase are blue. Neither of them appeared damaged or worn.The pads also appear to be consistent in their thickness and quality. But, then again, I am not qualified to determine if I am right or not.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific and help you more with you questions. I am basically performing a repair and using information and objects for that repair that have been recommended to me. I did the repair and will next week when it becomes hotter, perform the test to determine the results of the repair. I will be posting back my findings then. Thanks.

Reactions: Digdat0
Just stumbled across this post...

Phantom 3 advanced lag that drives me insane. Ordered the pads for 5 dollars on amazon, I figure why not it is worth a shot? I am a little nervous about opening the gimbal. Is there a guide on how to do it?

I hope this solves my problem, I cant tell if my lag has been correlated to the heat or not but I guess this will help me narrow it down. The thing that pisses me off was right out of the box I took this to Costa Rica on vacation and was on a 90 degree beach with 100 percent humidity filming a surfer a mile away and virtually no lag. fast forward to 6 months later and the lag gets progressively worse, it doesnt matter if the stupid bird is 20 feet away from me. I have never crashed it, I always handcatch it, I don't believe I fly it in any dusty conditions that would cause buildup in the gimbal board. Droning is the most frustrating and fun hobby I have ever had.

Reactions: GodFear17
P.s I am still on firmware 1.5.3. I refused to do any upgrades on this thing after I had the P3Standard, did an upgrade and then my range was cut down to 300 feet. What is the 32 channel hack and would that be something I would benefit from?

View attachment 61705

View attachment 61706

Nicely done!! I was having lag even in 80 degrees at night but this fixed all my lag issues I suspect the arm2 overheating but could of been any of them but at some point even dji thought the arm2 needed a pad

Good job

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

P.s I am still on firmware 1.5.3. I refused to do any upgrades on this thing after I had the P3Standard, did an upgrade and then my range was cut down to 300 feet. What is the 32 channel hack and would that be something I would benefit from?

I'm running current firmware and it works great. 300 feet could easily just be noise floor interfering wouldn't blame any range cut plus no one has seen any output power cut its still at 20dbm

Just stumbled across this post...

Phantom 3 advanced lag that drives me insane. Ordered the pads for 5 dollars on amazon, I figure why not it is worth a shot? I am a little nervous about opening the gimbal. Is there a guide on how to do it?

I hope this solves my problem, I cant tell if my lag has been correlated to the heat or not but I guess this will help me narrow it down. The thing that pisses me off was right out of the box I took this to Costa Rica on vacation and was on a 90 degree beach with 100 percent humidity filming a surfer a mile away and virtually no lag. fast forward to 6 months later and the lag gets progressively worse, it doesnt matter if the stupid bird is 20 feet away from me. I have never crashed it, I always handcatch it, I don't believe I fly it in any dusty conditions that would cause buildup in the gimbal board. Droning is the most frustrating and fun hobby I have ever had.

This sounds exactly like mine note 6 months later and lag. Go for it it's not that hard to do

Is there a trick to lifting the board after taking off the arm from the shaft and then the single screw on the board? Mine seems stuck on there quite well.

If anyone wants me to do it for them I'll do it for $25 dollars pads included u pay for shipping both ways. Only need the gimbal not the whole bird.

I'm going to make a video on how to do this step by step soon.

Reactions: soupbone10
I'm going to make a video on how to do this step by step soon.

I've got mine completely apart, I'm just having hard time getting the board up. Feels stuck don't wanna break it .. Did yours just Come right up, or did it take some force?

Nicely done!! I was having lag even in 80 degrees at night but this fixed all my lag issues I suspect the arm2 overheating but could of been any of them but at some point even dji thought the arm2 needed a pad

Good job

Thanks, when I get to fly again next week in hotter weather, I'll let you know how it acts. Thanks again for your knowledge and expertise and the photos. It was a big help.

Reactions: GodFear17
Opening the gimbal for me was not difficult as I have been in the gimbal before. It does help to have experience and that would be a question that only you can answer based on your experience as well as your level of expertise in performing what I would call micro electronic repairs.

How old are the existing pads? I don't know because I am not familiar with what would constitute a new or old thermal pad or if it makes any difference in the use of that pad. The visual difference in the pads are the color. The existing pads were pink and the pads Godfear17 suggested I purchase are blue. Neither of them appeared damaged or worn.The pads also appear to be consistent in their thickness and quality. But, then again, I am not qualified to determine if I am right or not.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific and help you more with you questions. I am basically performing a repair and using information and objects for that repair that have been recommended to me. I did the repair and will next week when it becomes hotter, perform the test to determine the results of the repair. I will be posting back my findings then. Thanks.
Thanks.

This thread interests me....I would if this would help a Pro.....at least do this to prevent future issues.

This thread interests me....I would if this would help a Pro.....at least do this to prevent future issues.

You bet, this would work for the pro as well. If anything the higher quality pads will keep it safe. Was flying in 98 degree south texas heat today no issues.

Reactions: NRJ
Ok, so i began disassembly of the gimbal tonight to do this repair. I got stuck trying to remove the lower half of the gimbal plate "Camera Side" Is the ribbon cable glued to the arm? Got a bit freaked out and reassembled and still works. Thankfully. Any Advice? Am i doing something wrong? Seemed pretty straight forward until that point.

Thanks

Ok, so i began disassembly of the gimbal tonight to do this repair. I got stuck trying to remove the lower half of the gimbal plate "Camera Side" Is the ribbon cable glued to the arm? Got a bit freaked out and reassembled and still works. Thankfully. Any Advice? Am i doing something wrong? Seemed pretty straight forward until that point.

Thanks
After looking on you tube. It looks like the cover just lifts straight up and back. Mine felt like something was holding it back from completely releasing. Like tape or something of that sort.

After looking on you tube. It looks like the cover just lifts straight up and back. Mine felt like something was holding it back from completely releasing. Like tape or something of that sort.
I've th same issue, will give it another go tonight. I don't wanna break it ... Maybe the stock thermal pads are stuck to the chip, I dunno. But I got the new ones, just need to get in and install them.

There is some adhesive on the ribbon cable that sticks to a small portion of the cable and to the case housing that you have to remove. See the attached picture to see this.

Ribbon Cable adhesive.JPG

Reactions: Dronason

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik