Reaction score
Hi, was just wondering if any of you fellow Phantom Pilots think that there will be a P3A/P3P price drop after the Mavic Pro is released, I'm trying to buy a P3A and it would be amazing if they dropped the price after the Mavic release and on top of that gave it a discount on Black Friday.

Thoughts? Do you guys think that they will drop the P3 prices after Mavic release?

Thanks

No. But, I think it will drop when DJI releases the P5.

Reactions: Numone
I doubt it will fall much until the next Phantom comes out. It's already dropped a great deal because P4 came out earlier. It's already the best bang for the buck.

DJI usually does have sales around Black Friday and Christmas every year. Sometimes they just throw in free extras instead of dropping the price though.

DJI usually does have sales around Black Friday and Christmas every year. Sometimes they just throw in free extras instead of dropping the price though.
You got an idea on how cheap they dropped during Black Friday/Christmas last year? I could use that to estimate.

You can see the prices as they were in December here.

There will not be a P5, that's ridiculous. But, P3As are now under 600 bucks. That's pretty cheap for the calibre of drone that the P3A is.

I'd say the price will be in the 500-$550 range, or lower. I have read that the price is dropping more and more even with new model releases due to the increased number of manufacturers that have entered the scene, plus more coming.

I don't see them dropping the price. The new drones are going to be ever more expensive in line with inflation R&D costs. Production costs will lower more slowly and for the advanced you're still getting arguably one of the best reliable technologically brilliant pieces of kit. Other manufacturers are miles behind. Just look at the new go pro. It's no better really than an advanced except size and I suspect the drone as a flying system may not be as tightly locked in as the P3 advanced. P3 standard sure but camera still pricey. Drone itself and controller old tech true.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

How is a P5 ridiculous? You think DJI will just give up their #1 position and not release a successor to the Phantom series?

A P5 wouldn't be exactly "ridiculous", but as of now I don't think there are any significant drone technology changes happening that they could put into a new drone, once they get some brand new technology ideas like crazy 10 mile range and brain-controlled drones.

I'm sure there will be a Phantom 5, perhaps it will be sleeker faster and fit in your pocket. They might even call it Mavic. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The Phantom is their best selling range with millions sold worldwide. I'm sure they'll be a P5.
IMHO, the Mavic isn't aimed at the same market.

The Mavic is aimed at the exact same market as the Phantom, as can be discerned by this thread. The step up from the Mavic will probably be the Inspire V2 which is being advertised at $1,399 for the aircraft these days. A potential buyer of a less portable system would probably go directly to an Inspire rather than a Phantom X which costs nearly as much, IMHO.

The Mavic is aimed at the exact same market as the Phantom, as can be discerned by this thread. The step up from the Mavic will probably be the Inspire V2 which is being advertised at $1,399 for the aircraft these days. A potential buyer of a less portable system would probably go directly to an Inspire rather than a Phantom X which costs nearly as much, IMHO.
Really? Wow - with that flat out statement, you obviously must work in the DJI Product Dev or Marketing Department, so which one is it?

You do know what IMHO stands for, or is it not utilized in the UK?
Errrr, take a look at my first post...
It was just your bold statement "The Mavic is aimed at the exact same market as the Phantom...." that made me smile and drew my response. Seriously, I'm only messing with you; I meant no offence.
I just find it a little ridiculous that people are prepared to take a chance on a completely untried and fully tested AC. Some of our contributors are so set on it, they are losing $00's in the process - I think I saw someone selling a 3 week old Phantom on here a couple of days ago?
Yet, IMHO, the product differentiators are not that great, are they?
  • Yep, its a lot smaller and lighter... but
  • the real-world flying time will almost certainly be similar to the P3P/A
  • the videography capability is pretty much the same
  • the real world distance will not be 4+ miles and
  • you cant use anything but a smartphone to fully pilot it.
To make me take a stonking loss on the £1,500 I've spent since Jan on the P3A (the AC, 3 more batteries, hardshell, aluminium storage case etc. etc.) it'll need to be capable of giving a great deal more new innovations than the Mavic currently offers. But I've not been an "early adopter" since the 70's.
Now, I'm not saying its not going to be a really great UAV - far from it, I'm sure it is but IMHO, I think it is primarily aimed at the GoPro, snowboarding, para-sailing, Ibiza holidaying, white-water rafting, bungee jumping 20 to 35 market that can shove it into a canvas messenger bag and go.... and thus killing their Karma in the process! (<sigh> Gawd, I wish I was 30 years younger....LOL!).

I would not sell my P3A to buy the Mavic, I only paid $568 for it brand new and thought it was too much for the main use I intended for it (to do overhead shots for amateur motorcycling videos in Italy). I have been using it on my property here in the U.S. to check outbuilding roofs, among other things, but it is a not a necessity. I believe that a person ready to shell out over a thousand dollars for a Phanton 4 would probably go for the Mavic just based on its portability and similar performance. With the basic Inspire aircraft going for not much more than the Phantom 4 (until recently the Phantom 4 was $1,399), why would one not go for the Inspire if limited portability is not a concern?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl