Phantom 3 Advanced - Image Focus Issue?

Reaction score
hello,

I purchased my P3 advanced just before Christmas this year and I'm now starting to wonder if my focus is really terrible.... At first I thought it was due to the light conditions that all my previous photos have been taken it, with it being winter there hasn't really been any bright days as such.

Today, however, was different - Sun was out so I headed out. On my return, the pictures don't look good at all...

They appear to be badly pixelated and unfocused - Even in RAW format.

I've uploaded an example RAW taken today - which according to the meta data was 1/800 sec @ ISO100.

Dropbox - DJI_0018.DNG

It could be something I am doing wrong (I hope so) is anyone able to provide some advise?

Thanks

Iain

I need to pull the data from some of my pics that look good, but from my old 35 mm film days (showing my age LOL), 1/800 sec with an iso of 100 seems pretty fast. If the weather cooperates, try a few in manual mode a different shutter speecs than what "auto" picks

Hi Iain. I've had similar problems with focus and from what I've found out is flying in cold weather and when you include wind chill and effect the camera due to expansion and compression of the circuit board / metal casing. I went out one day around 4c and had horrible focus and pics. Came back read everything I could and then brought the drone into the warm allowed it to warm up and took it out again on a warmer day 11c and I was back in focus. Not ideal I know but that's what happened to me. Have a look at this thread

Plz help - poor video and picture quality

Hope that helps, I wouldn't suggest messing with it if it's in warranty and your still not happy with it send it back. For me my lesson was about acclimatising it before flight and doing it slowly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
Thanks for the replies.

I had considered the temperature change issue as it has been quite cold recently. The photo above was taken at about 6c and I had placed the drone in the outhouse (unheated) before I left to drive/walk to the location (about 15mins) - but it was in my backpack the whole time in what I assume is quite well insulated foam.

I left it in the outhouse overnight, played about with the settings and took some more shots today - Sadly the visibility and light were poor so not really a great test. I'll try again on a better day and see what the results are.

The strange thing is the video footage looks fine - at least I haven't noticed any issues - hence I was thinking it was something I was doing.

I wanted some advice on here as I know DJI threaten to charge if they don't find a fault under a warranty request.

Thanks

Iain

They can vary but this does look blurred , sorry ....I too use a P3A with good results, see my site, but these are not direct from the camera but via Lightroom, that does make a big difference and well worth the monthly fee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers