Phantom 3 advanced - how to save video on IPAD mini

Reaction score
Hi,
I've looked at the Phantom 3 advanced instruction manual a few times and cannot figure out how to actually save the video stream or .jpgs to the IPAD mini during a flight (they of course are saving to the SDHC card in the camera).
Has anyone figured a way?
thanks in advance.
Alan

I don't think you would want to do that during a flight (not sure if you can). But after you land and the p3 is still on, in the camera controls select the playback button...an option to download from there.

Hi,
I've looked at the Phantom 3 advanced instruction manual a few times and cannot figure out how to actually save the video stream or .jpgs to the IPAD mini during a flight (they of course are saving to the SDHC card in the camera).
Has anyone figured a way?
thanks in advance.
Alan
Not sure if you are looking for the high quality video/stills you took during your flight OR the video feed you saw on your iPad when flying. They aren't the same. Any video dropouts you see when flying won't be on the micro SD card copy in the P3. However, the DJI app allows you to see the iPad video.

Open DJI app
Select "Director" at bottom
Select "Create work" in upper right
Select "Create moments" in upper left

... now all of your iPad video flights should be there. Not sure if there's a way to download or share full file, but the app let's you make a 30 second teaser file that will save under your photos (don't have to share on Facebook after process to have it save the snippet). Small enough file to share. Hope this helps....

Hey Alan,
My iPad mini says it is not compatible with the pilot app, which iPad mini do you have? I have the original.

I'm running an iPad Air2. Didn't think there would be a difference. Since you just joined forum yesterday, I was thinking you just weren't aware of the app playback capabilities. Didn't know the mini is not running DJI app. Sorry I couldn't help.

I'm running an iPad Air2. Didn't think there would be a difference. Since you just joined forum yesterday, I was thinking you just weren't aware of the app playback capabilities. Didn't know the mini is not running DJI app. Sorry I couldn't help.
Looking to move up from my cell phone to Ipad. Have a couple of questions. In the ipad air 2, do I need to also purchase a cell service subscription? not sure if I need cell service?

@LUISMARTINEZ,

No, there is no requirement for any kind of wireless connectivity via an iDevice during flight. You connect the iDevice to your controller via a Lightning cable only. Many folks put their device in airplane mode as well to reduce potential RF interference.

Does the wifi only version of iPad Air 2 have GPS location of the device? I believe you need GPS on your iPad to use the "return to you" (vs home point) capability. Also with the cellular version, you can download the Google-like hybrid maps at your flying location. I'm cellular on my IPad Air 2, so I know I have it. I think someone on this forum has discussed the topic of wifi vs. wifi/cellular iPads before. You might check it out. That's where I recall hearing something about the GPS on the device.
Good luck. You'll love the iPad Air 2 for flying. Will need to rig up some kind of sun screen. iPads are awful in direct sun. I went to local office store and bought a piece of black foam board (used for school projects). Cut two triangles and a square. Taped them together with black duct tape. Taped an ear on each triangle that will touch iPad and used some cut plastic U-shaped back spines (that are used on school report covers) to clip the ears to the iPad. Just leave space to hit the iPad buttons and plug in your cable. Think I spent $10 but have enough leftover to make another one. Works ok, definitely helps a lot.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

If you do go cellular, my iPad was something like $10/month when added to my phone plan. I'm Verizon. Not like a whole new service. Use smallest data plan if most of your iPad surfing is in wifi at home.

Another's few suggestions if you go cellular: BEFORE FLYING

- close all apps
- turn off incoming messaging (text message, FaceTime, etc - Don't want chance of anything popping up in flight)
- I turn off Bluetooth but keep cellular data on for maps
- I set my display brightness to the maximum
- THEN reboot your iPad to start with clean memory

Happy flying....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1