Phantom 3 Advanced Firmware update required ?

The OP is running old RC firmware. A new update was released on 10/10. See more details here.

How do I update the RC firmware to V 1.8.0 ? I thought that was only updated when the aircraft firmware was updated. I cant find a download for just the RC firmware.

The RC firmware can only be installed from within DJI GO. If you do not see a notification to install it in DJI GO (while connected to the Internet), then try this.

The RC firmware can only be installed from within DJI GO. If you do not see a notification to install it in DJI GO (while connected to the Internet), then try this.

Thanks, RC now updated and update message gone, now it just needs the drifting fixed and I am sorted.

Are you able to reproduce the drifting issue?

Here's what your log shows:
  • The Phantom was in P mode the entire time (GPS_ATTI = P mode)
  • The mode did not switch to ATTI at anytime
  • The GPS receiver was connected to sufficient satellites after takeoff
The only odd thing I see is the drifting you described above. All was well until you started yawing the Phantom. At that point, it started to slowly drift away. And, that drifting continued with no stick input after you stopped yawing.

@BudWalker, can you take a look at this one? Per the DatCon CSV output, here are the notable tick marks:

113773: Hovering in place with no stick input
180931: Starts to yaw (with stick input) and drift (without stick input)
187105: Phantom still drifting (without stick input)
I can add a little more understanding. Starting at 177.3804 and for the next 7 seconds there was no stick input.
upload_2016-10-19_5-33-12.png

During the next 7 secs the P3 moved away from the HP. The pitch increased from 7.5 to 12.4 and the P3 responded by slowing down, finally arresting the drift. Almost like the P3 got caught in a gust of wind but was really slow in responding.

upload_2016-10-19_5-34-52.png

Would having the sensitivity brake set to 70 cause this. I set it at 70 after reading on forums that it would help reduce the stress (possibly the cause of cracks near the motor mounts) on the frame as the craft slows down. Although I haven't noticed the drifting before on recent flights.

Last edited:
Would having the sensitivity brake set to 70 cause this. I set it at 70 after reading on forums that it would help reduce the stress (possibly the cause of cracks near the motor mounts) on the frame as the city raft slows down. Although I haven't noticed the drifting before on recent flights.
Although a stretch I had thought about that too. But, the drifting had started with the rudder input before this. So, even if an explanation could be given for the slow response there is still the question of why the drifting started in the first place.
upload_2016-10-19_17-26-4.png

Although a stretch I had thought about that too. But, the drifting had started with the rudder input before this. So, even if an explanation could be given for the slow response there is still the question of why the drifting started in the first place.
View attachment 67459
I tried the drone again this morning at sunrise when the wind seemed to have dropped, to try to reproduce the drifting issue and took it up to about the same height as before. It hovered above me and seemed stable, so I switched to the periscope app ( as before). As I started to turn the drone, it drifted quite fast with the wind, which must have been about 20 mph at 50 mtrs AGL. I let go of the stick and it slowly returned to it's start point. I tried again with a similar result, so used the return to home which worked but seemed a bit slow.
I downloaded the DAT files (there were two this time for some reason) and have posted links below. I would appreciate your opinion, and maybe suggest the cause of the drifting issue. The Periscope App froze when i first turned the drone, but I think that could just be a coincidence, as it didn't do that last time. I will try to do another test run with just the DJI App if the wind speed drops again.

Dropbox - FLY109.DAT

Dropbox - FLY110.DAT

I tried the drone again this morning at sunrise when the wind seemed to have dropped, to try to reproduce the drifting issue and took it up to about the same height as before. It hovered above me and seemed stable, so I switched to the periscope app ( as before). As I started to turn the drone, it drifted quite fast with the wind, which must have been about 20 mph at 50 mtrs AGL. I let go of the stick and it slowly returned to it's start point. I tried again with a similar result, so used the return to home which worked but seemed a bit slow.
I downloaded the DAT files (there were two this time for some reason) and have posted links below. I would appreciate your opinion, and maybe suggest the cause of the drifting issue. The Periscope App froze when i first turned the drone, but I think that could just be a coincidence, as it didn't do that last time. I will try to do another test run with just the DJI App if the wind speed drops again.

Dropbox - FLY109.DAT

Dropbox - FLY110.DAT
That'd be interesting to see what those .DATs show. I'm on travel without access to a PC until Sat. I'll take a look then. If you're interested you could take a look. I've been using CsvView which can be downloaded and installed from CsvView Downloads

View attachment 67459

This morning I tried a couple more test flights. First I calibrated the IMU before the first flight, then using just the DJI App. At 50 mtrs AGL with a light breeze I rotated the craft first to the left and then to the right. Each time it drifted away about 30 mtrs and returned slowly after I released the stick.
Then before the next flight I changed the sensitivity brake from 70 back to 100 and tried again. This time no drifting occurred, even at 75 mtrs AGL, so re-setting the brake seems to have solved the problem.

I had a look at the flight data files yesterday using CsvView, a very useful program, although I didn't fully understand all the readings :)
Thanks for your help.

Reactions: BudWalker
Hopefully your issue has been resolved. However, you mentioned wind speeds were slight. At 50-75 meters they can be sufficiently different than what you'll find at ground level.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

This morning I tried a couple more test flights. First I calibrated the IMU before the first flight, then using just the DJI App. At 50 mtrs AGL with a light breeze I rotated the craft first to the left and then to the right. Each time it drifted away about 30 mtrs and returned slowly after I released the stick.
Then before the next flight I changed the sensitivity brake from 70 back to 100 and tried again. This time no drifting occurred, even at 75 mtrs AGL, so re-setting the brake seems to have solved the problem.

I had a look at the flight data files yesterday using CsvView, a very useful program, although I didn't fully understand all the readings :)
Thanks for your help.
I'm going to test this when the wind picks up here.

Neither of the last .DATs you provided (FLY109 and FLY110) had a motorStart. I.e., they weren't from an actual flight. No wonder you had trouble understanding the values. :) If you look at the bottom half of this page there is info about selecting the right .DAT.

I tried with both my P3A (firmware 1.7.60) and P3P (firmware 1.4.10+) to duplicate the problem that you're seeing with your P3. The P3s were slowly rotated at 30 meters and 100 meters but didn't drift off with the wind. What firmware does your P3 have? I can't think of any other relevant difference between our P3s. Since there is clear evidence in the .DAT of your flight maybe we should ask DJI tech support why your P3 behaves this way.

I'm going to test this when the wind picks up here.

Neither of the last .DATs you provided (FLY109 and FLY110) had a motorStart. I.e., they weren't from an actual flight. No wonder you had trouble understanding the values. :) If you look at the bottom half of this page there is info about selecting the right .DAT.

Thanks, here is what should be the correct .DAT file for that flight

Dropbox - FLY108.DAT

Did you set the brake to 70% before test ?, Looks like I am using later firmware than you, . When I first noticed this problem I was using :-

App V 3.00 - Aircraft 1.9.60 - Remote Control 1.60

then before flight 108.DAT I updated the RC firmware to 1.80 , which made no difference.

Last edited:
Thanks, here is what should be the correct .DAT file for that flight

Dropbox - FLY108.DAT

Did you set the brake to 70% before test ?, Looks like I am using later firmware than you, . When I first noticed this problem I was using :-

App V 3.00 - Aircraft 1.9.60 - Remote Control 1.60

then before flight 108.DAT I updated the RC firmware to 1.80 , which made no difference.
Don't know if you looked at the .DAT but here it is again.
upload_2016-10-23_6-18-46.png

upload_2016-10-23_6-18-57.png

I don't want to update my firmware. Is there someone else still with us who is running 1.9.60 that could volunteer to do this test?

I can only address the Firmware Upgrade Required message. Mine started doing the same thing even though I already updated it. This continued and I finally sent my RC to DJI. It came back (3 weeks!) with the firmware version correct. After about 3 flights it started again. I finally gave up and kept flying. I have had no issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan