Phantom 3 Advanced CSC control warning???!!!

The above method would be a bit hard to wiggle around so it can go to limit for emergency?
You just turn it 90 degrees in order to disable the safety. While it's easy to do, you likely will never have to do it. Very few people have purposely done a CSC mid-flight.

Not in the one I got in June of 2015 with the quick start manual in the box!

you are correct The " quick start manual" is in box,, NOT the Manual . (thus, quick start).

the manual is within the library/support of the dji GO app. also can be DL from DJI P3 support area.

FWIW if you want to do acrobatics get yourself a basic P2 or P1 and you can really go crazy !

good luck and have fun flying!

Nowhere do I see a big red warning label on what not to do with the Phantoms. I was aware of how it would shut off with the left control down but didn't know it would shut off in flight while crossing controls down.
It's a complex machine.
Just a little reading goes a long way.
i-ZhRNmjb.jpg

... doing aerobatics that should not have turned off the quadcopter in my opinion but it did.
The operating method matters more than anyone's opinion.

Reactions: doomclam
Very, very few.
While many people think it would be very, very few, DJI's data says otherwise. This is the #1 cause of crashes in DJI's list of top 10 pilot errors. I don't know if that list is in order. But, the fact that CSC is even listed there shows it's more common than we would want to think.

While many people think it would be very, very few, DJI's data says otherwise. This is the #1 cause of crashes in DJI's list of top 10 pilot errors. I don't know if that list is in order. But, the fact that CSC is even listed there shows it's more common than we would want to think.
It's not the number one cause at all.
DJI's list is in random order and the unfortunate listing in number one position means nothing.
One of the DJI guys on the DJI forum confirmed this.

Flying close to trees or buildings and confusing orientation is the number one cause of crashing Phantoms

But gentlemen, a list with even more exposure of what not to do, even if not the major cause. Having an extensive RC background, I can see how this could happen. Any moderately accomplished RC pilot can fly the hell out of a Phantom. That would be the easy part. The complexity of its vast functions probably being the hardest.

Sorry man. With 25 years under your belt, you know they all go in eventually.

SD

DJI's list is in random order and the unfortunate listing in number one position means nothing.
I assumed it might be random. We really have no clue of the order then. The fact that it's even on the list says a lot though.

I am sorry for your crash but can't for the life of me figure out what maneuver one would be attempting to perform with either of the CSC positions? Yet I believe I recently read accidental CSC was DJI's #1 listed cause of pilot mistakes leading to crashes. There is a little gizmo available here at nominal charge that will prevent an accidental CSC. I believe I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread.

Im certainly a newbie to quads but have been flying RC for 25 years. Nowhere do I see a big red warning lable on what not to do with the Phantoms. I was aware of how it would shut off with the left control down but didn't know it would shut off in flight while crossing controls down. I only now have found a few threads and a video online showing this. So last night I dirt napped Phantom 3 advanced from about 150 foot doing aerobatics that should not have turned off the quadcopter in my opinion but it did. Crashed, bent a leg and sheared off camera. Copter starts and checks out fine; without video feed obviously. Can probably still fly but I haven't yet.

Well, Here are a couple of screen shots of part of the quick start manual. One saying to read the manual that is on the DJI web site, and the other talking about the CSC maneuver and not to do it while airborne. These are both in the quick start guide.
That's exactly what it shows/says in the Quick Start Guide that came in the box that I got last May 6. I thought it was pretty clear.

This makes a lot more sense as I can't see why anyone would put the controls in either CSC mode while in flight. What maneuver would this be attempting? I can't even see accidental CSC being in the top 10 unless they just ran out of other options.

One of the DJI guys on the DJI forum confirmed this.

Flying close to trees or buildings and confusing orientation is the number one cause of crashing Phantoms

I can't even see accidental CSC being in the top 10 unless they just ran out of other options.
This makes perfect sense to us -- since we know what "CSC" means and what it does. Now, put yourself into the shoes of someone who did not read the manual (not that this ever happens either).

Reactions: JBG and kirk2579
I looked at the flight path "flight log" and control input from the lower left thumbnail(controller) after and it appears that left rudder and right roll down both sticks and you shut off motors. First time Ive heard of this; it seems its out there if you specifically look for it. It should be a more visible warning as far as im concerned. I wonder how many others have done this and just thought it was a glitch?

You don't need to look at the control input, upload the flight log to healthydrones.com and you can click "notifications" and then you will see if it says CSC is initiated on the list of notifications. I have attached a picture of one of my logs for reference.

Manual?! We don't need no steeeenkin' manual lol!!
Says quite a few new users that end up with less than glorious early experiences. I am one of those that often don't read the manual first...but in this case I highly recommend reading it a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Says quite a few new users that end up with less than glorious early experiences. I am one of those that often don't read the manual first...but in this case I highly recommend reading it a couple of times.

I don't know, man. That is something that is stressed here ***d a i l y*** without much success, I believe. I don't know what it would take for it to be taken way more serious than it is.

I know. Gets old and frustrating. But hey, what are forums for other than repeating the same info over and over and over?

I am gonna put it in my signature, you all should do the same so the people that read our posts know to RTFM

It won't matter. People are gonna do what they please. I just find it funny the posts from folks swearing they read this or that, yet it's obvious they didn't. Or if they did, it's a very casual skimming. People don't realize that there is a lot of information in the manual, especially around return to home and how it works in different situations. Oh well, I guess reading the manual until it is understood is just too much work for a lot of folks. I just can't comprehend spending this much money on something and not understanding how it really works before firing it up and flying it. I guess I am just cheap.....I don't wanna big repair bill or have to replace it because I didn't understand how it works. Not to say I'm not gonna make a costly mistake someday, but it hopefully won't be from something that is clearly documented for me by the manufacturer.

Reactions: Manosea
You just turn it 90 degrees in order to disable the safety. While it's easy to do, you likely will never have to do it. Very few people have purposely done a CSC mid-flight.
This kind of raises the question as to why CSC during flight exists. Honeslty, I can't imagine what it would be used for? If the quad looses control signal the CSC theoretically wont work. If you still have signal you wouldn't want to shut it down as you can just neutral the sticks and it will hover. Has there ever been a documented case that a CSC was used to save life or property? I can't imagine a good pilot using this as they tend to have situational awareness. I can't imagine a good pilot giving up control of their aircraft for any reason?
It's a complex machine.
Just a little reading goes a long way.
i-ZhRNmjb.jpg

The operating method matters more than anyone's opinion.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4