Phantom 3 Advanced CSC control warning???!!!

Reaction score
Im certainly a newbie to quads but have been flying RC for 25 years. Nowhere do I see a big red warning lable on what not to do with the Phantoms. I was aware of how it would shut off with the left control down but didn't know it would shut off in flight while crossing controls down. I only now have found a few threads and a video online showing this. So last night I dirt napped Phantom 3 advanced from about 150 foot doing aerobatics that should not have turned off the quadcopter in my opinion but it did. Crashed, bent a leg and sheared off camera. Copter starts and checks out fine; without video feed obviously. Can probably still fly but I haven't yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: d3adtwist
So last night I dirt napped Phantom 3 advanced from about 150 foot doing aerobatics that should not have turned off the quadcopter in my opinion but it did.
So, I guess you're assuming you did a CSC?

It is covered in the manual. I would recommend downloading it from DJI and reading it thoroughly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: JBG
Im certainly a newbie to quads but have been flying RC for 25 years. No where do I see a big red warning lable on what not to do with the Phantoms. I was aware of how it would shut off with the left control down but didn't know it would shut off in flight while crossing controls down. I only now have found a few threads and a video online showing this. So last night I dirt napped Phantom 3 advanced from about 150 foot doing aerobatics that should not have turned off the quadcopter in my opinion but it did. Crashed, bent a leg and sheared off camera. Copter starts and checks out fine; without video feed obviously. Can probably still fly but I haven't yet.
Get the flight log off of your phone or tablet you were flying with and then post it here, I am sure we can help determine what happened.

So, I guess you're assuming you did a CSC?
I don't know. I looked at the flight path and control input after and it appears that left rudder and right roll down both sticks and you shut off motors. First time Ive heard of this; it seems its out there if you specifically look for it. It should be a more visible warning as far as im concerned. I wonder how many others have done this and just thought it was a glitch?

It is covered in the manual. I would recommend downloading it from DJI and reading it thoroughly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Not in the one I got in June of 2015 with the quick start manual in the box!

Im certainly a newbie to quads but have been flying RC for 25 years. No where do I see a big red warning lable on what not to do with the Phantoms. I was aware of how it would shut off with the left control down but didn't know it would shut off in flight while crossing controls down. I only now have found a few threads and a video online showing this. So last night I dirt napped Phantom 3 advanced from about 150 foot doing aerobatics that should not have turned off the quadcopter in my opinion but it did. Crashed, bent a leg and sheared off camera. Copter starts and checks out fine; without video feed obviously. Can probably still fly but I haven't yet.

Sorry for the lose, we would love to see the video.

Reactions: robsquad
Get the flight log off of your phone or tablet you were flying with and then post it here, I am sure we can help determine what happened.
I looked at the flight path "flight log" and control input from the lower left thumbnail(controller) after and it appears that left rudder and right roll down both sticks and you shut off motors. First time Ive heard of this; it seems its out there if you specifically look for it. It should be a more visible warning as far as im concerned. I wonder how many others have done this and just thought it was a glitch?

A CSC can be done a few ways. There is no other way to manually shut off your Phantom mid-flight.
Yes I just wish I knew this yesterday. Just saying it should be out there a little more visible. There also should be a way to customize it so you can do what you want. I think after speaking with my dealer in the last 20 min there have been alot of people that dont know about CSC. It should be a specific maneuver and not just any down control maneuver.

There also should be a way to customize it so you can do what you want.
You can use the CSC Safety to prevent it from happening if you're not confident that you won't accidentally do it again.

So last night I dirt napped Phantom 3 advanced from about 150 foot doing aerobatics that should not have turned off the quadcopter in my opinion but it did. Crashed, bent a leg and sheared off camera.

Aerobatics??
Sorry you crashed. A sticks down and in or out (CSC maneuver) to shut off the quadcopter is well known.
Have to ask, why on Earth are you trying to perform aerobatics with a camera equipped quadcopter? It's not built or intended for that.

The phantom is a camera that can fly. I like flying fast but its definitely not made for "aerobatics". I would suggest buying a more agile drone meant to fly like that. Its hard to miss the warnings for the csc maneuver on here. Good luck getting it fixed.

Aerobatics??
Sorry you crashed. A sticks down and in or out (CSC maneuver) to shut off the quadcopter is well known.
Have to ask, why on Earth are you trying to perform aerobatics with a camera equipped quadcopter? It's not built or intended for that.
it wasn't true "Aerobatics" but people like watching things fly etc. Ive done 3d, pattern etc on planes so I figured the thing had been bullet proof in all the maneuvers I had done in the past why not sling it around a bit. Well apparently you cant do all the normal stick maneuvers for RC on Quads. I still think one should be able to customize the emergency motor kill.

The phantom is a camera that can fly. I like flying fast but its definitely not made for "aerobatics". I would suggest buying a more agile drone meant to fly like that. Its hard to miss the warnings for the csc maneuver on here. Good luck getting it fixed.
Really? Thanks! ;)

You can use the CSC Safety to prevent it from happening if you're not confident that you won't accidentally do it again.
Well, now I know about it it won't happen again.

Thanks for this. I was actually thinking about a spring loaded flap mounted on controller. This way if you need to shut down motors all that is needed is to push and its off. The above method would be a bit hard to wiggle around so it can go to limit for emergency? Practice makes perfect. Good Idea though.

Now you know. Sorry for the loss. It's out there, plenty. Much talk about it here and other sites since June '15.

Your prior RC experience may have hurt you here. Do you have any heli"s? Descending pirouetting flips are not the Phantom's strong point.

SD

Reactions: Manosea
Not in the one I got in June of 2015 with the quick start manual in the box!
Well, Here are a couple of screen shots of part of the quick start manual. One saying to read the manual that is on the DJI web site, and the other talking about the CSC maneuver and not to do it while airborne. These are both in the quick start guide.

Attachments

• CSC.jpg
    CSC.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 881
  • CSC2.jpg
    CSC2.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 591
Reactions: JBG

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads