Phantom 3 & 4 factory lens removal tool

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Today I tried to remove the factory lens from my Phantom3 Pro platform. Up until today (1 year 2 months) I've never thought about it let alone tried to remove it. But I've got a Polar Pro set of filters coming next week and I'll need to remove the factory lens cover. I've read thread after thread about tips and tricks on how to do this. They include:

• 1) wearing rubber/latex gloves gently gripping front of the lens and rotating
  • 2) using rubber band etc gently wrapped around the lens barrel to allow good grip but light grip
  • 3) heat applied to the lens barrel

I tried #1 and #2 but opted to NOT try #3. Unfortunately not amount of "finesse" would get it loose. I just happened to remember a "bottle cap removal tool" (twist off like on Coke/Pepsi bottles) I got in the mail at work recently as a promotional item. It's designed to apply pressure to the "bottle cap" in a uniform way to make it easy to remove a stubborn cap.

I grab it, push it against the lens cap and twist. Shockingly it rotates immediately and easily. Below are some images (From the internet) of the tool I used:

3.jpg

1.jpg

If you've got one of these or something similar it might be worth a shot. I'm still amazed at how easily it came off using it. I'm not going to admit how many times I tried it the other ways LOL. Needless to say this is going into my flight case immediately. :)

Good luck and SAFE flights :)
Allen

Great find!
Thanks for sharing, this should help a lot of people.

From a mechanical point of view it looks like the perfect tool for the job! The device will contact the edge of the filter, which is the strongest part. Even pressure around the edge of the metal ring but no deformation of the threads themselves!
If this tool doesn't work then your threads are likely too corroded and u will likely need a small amount of WD40, then the tool to work the lens cover off.

Should be easy to find at your local Kitchen store as well.

Reactions: BigAl07
It is amazing just how little pressure is required to remove the filters.

I used one of those rubber pads made for gripping a jar cover. Came off very easy. Now I just need to make some time to try my Polar Pro's.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: BigAl07
??? Would anyone know if the P3A also have a "factory" UV lens filter out of the box?

What works for me is just to put the iPad/Samsung, whatever lead around the cover, hold the lead together where it meets and without your fingers actually touching the cover gently turn it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
That's an excellent idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan