Phantom 2 won't turn on

Reaction score
Hi,

Bought a used Dji Phantom 2 yesterday, and ran into some problems. Been reading a lot on the internet but can't seem to find anyone having this problem by just inserting the battery. It's not my first quadcopter, but my first Phantom/Dji product. As soon as I insert the battery it starts constantly beeping, which getting louder and a bit faster when I don't pull out the battery. None of the lights gets lit, and It will not connect to computer using the Micro usb port on the front. Battery got 50-75% charge, and when I insert it and try to turn on while beeping it just works like if I pressed the botton once. Yes I press once then press again and hold for 2 seconds ( Tried to hold for a long time also ). I've tried to look over all solder joints and they look fine. All motors are beeping. Not sure if it's the battery or flight controller. But I really don't hope the fc is fried/dead. Will try to add a quick video to show the beeping.
Thanks in advance, and please excuse my english had to write this in a hurry.

Reactions: J Dot
Sorry you are having these issues. When the Phantom is first powered up, it does a self diagnostics, and if there are hardware problems or firmware issues it will beep. by just inserting the batter you should get nothing until you hold the button down the second time. It will be harder to find out whats wrong since you cant connect to th assistant. It sound more like the main board rather than the fligh controller. What happen when you plug to the assistant and power it up?

Reactions: Piloteen
I also might suspect it could be the main board, due to I did a voltage check on the voltage pin going to X3 and got readings 1.2v-2.2v ( drops to 1.2v on each beep ). I don't get anything, because It won't power on it will not connect to my computer. Could I use a ubec to power the naza or is it protected so It will only power by the flight battery?

I also might suspect it could be the main board, due to I did a voltage check on the voltage pin going to X3 and got readings 1.2v-2.2v ( drops to 1.2v on each beep ). I don't get anything, because It won't power on it will not connect to my computer. Could I use a ubec to power the naza or is it protected so It will only power by the flight battery?

Connect the P2 to the software before doing the following. Try turning the battery on before inserting into the P2 and see what happens.

Same result and I might suspect a battery failure or main board. I made a gif of the battery to show what it looks like when I turn it on ( 2EkcAZ.gif (320x180) ). When I insert after turning it on it still does same thing like when it's not powered on and all four phantom motors are beeping like crazy. I tried connecting to software while beeping and with external power to naza using a ubec to test. No result, won't even show up as a device on the computer since it's not getting power. Hmm, could it be the battery that's faulty? And that the P2 sees it and won't let it power up?

If it's possible I would return it and get your money back.

It's not possible to return, but I got it real cheap knowing that I had to fix the motors but not knowing that the main board/battery was broken but I paid like 50$ for it so I rather try fix it :) I usually build quads but never had a Dji before so I need some help troubleshooting.

It's not possible to return, but I got it real cheap knowing that I had to fix the motors but not knowing that the main board/battery was broken but I paid like 50$ for it so I rather try fix it :) I usually build quads but never had a Dji before so I need some help troubleshooting.

Did you get the schematics I sent to your email?

Haven't received anything yet. :/

Those are both pdf files. If you haven't gotten them in your email more then likely you won't but I haven't received a notice that they were not delivered.

If your getting tones, just inserting the battery with POWER OFF!
I'd first check the leads on the battery with a multi meter ( you should get NOTHING with battery off, and 11.1v with it on, there might be a short between battery terminals, and communication pins? Let us know!
Is the battery an actual DJI 5200mAh? Or aftermarket?

J Dot

Wanted to add: watching your GIF, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with that battery! Just be careful with it!

If your getting tones, just inserting the battery with POWER OFF!
I'd first check the leads on the battery with a multi meter ( you should get NOTHING with battery off, and 11.1v with it on, there might be a short between battery terminals, and communication pins? Let us know!
Is the battery an actual DJI 5200mAh? Or aftermarket?

J Dot

It seems like a legit DJI 5200mAh, I'll check the battery terminals right away.

Check the 2 com pads as well,
Positive terminal is the farthest tab from com pads, negative terminal is closest to com pads!

J Dot

Okay, so I did go over a few connections / terminals with multimeter nowand this is what i got;
Battery turned off: 12.1v at main power terminals.
Battery turned off: 0.0v at com pads
Battery turned off but inserted: Jumping from 3.5-4.1v at the first pins going into the battery and on the main power pads on main board.
Battery turned on ( same state as on the gif ): 10v at main power terminals jumping between 10-11v rapidly.
Battery turned on: 0.0vat com pads.
Battery turned on but inserted:About 3.9-4.0v still beeping like crazy.

Hope this will give some more information about how the battery behaves. Shouldn't the main power terminals voltage be at 0.0v when battery turned off?

Yes,
That battery has major issues, I'd trash it and get another! Be careful with that battery ( dispose of properly )
If it is shorting out ( do not use it, as it can damage other stuff, if the power decides to spike! Secondly these kinds of batteries, can spontaneously combust ( and quite violently ) as houses have been burnt down with lipid bursting into flame, and catching drapes on fire! I would not use it at all, batteries are pretty cheap now a days, and for the extra cost, it is not worth ruining your bird, over a bad battery!

This is most likely the whole problem, I'd get a new battery, or a loaner from a friend, or hobby, to test bird! Before digging any deeper! Bird might just be ok, and a bad battery giving you all sorts of headaches! Let us know what goes on! And what you come up with, in the mean time we are here if you need us!

J Dot

Yea, I got a lot of experience with lipo's in the rc quad/planes. I'll try find someone local with a P2 and try their battery to see if it solves the issue. I'll report back when I figure out more. Thanks so far with all your help guys! :))

Your welcome,
That is why we are all here! One BIG family!:cool:

Hope to get you airborne SOON!

J Dot

Take care!

Have you tried holding the power button for around five seconds until it begins to flash. It enters a mode at that point where it reports the balance between cells if any of the green bars does not light it means that cell is defective and the battery needs replacing

When I hold down the power button for five seconds (without pressing once first) all green lights show and the red power button light is blinking. I think the battery cells are good, but the "intelligent" part is broken/defekt.

Piloteen when the beeping happened to mine I hooked it up to computer and did software update/installed and it stopped!Im no expert but usually it's the software!Newbie at first flight,that's me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers