PHANTOM 2 WITH H3-2D ZENMUSE GIMBAL

I dont phantom 2 has any video or data downlink but has cables ready to go to make it easy to add these on later. It would also be running 2.4g radio futaba compatible most likely as the later v1.1+ phantoms do.

The vision app needs the vision camera as you cant remotly control a gopro in the same way the only function you could do would be gimbal pitch control but this can be done via radio as normal with 7th channel or 3rd party radio's. Canbus is good as it was rather silly to need to add pmu v2 to the newer boards to get OSD or bluetooth functions in v1.1 phantoms.

ElGuano said:
Dave Pitman said:
Ksc said:
Since I already have the zenmuse, I'd love to see a naked vision that I could mount the zenmuse onto and somehow still use the vision app for FPV. I would have to think the vision camera and the zenmuse cost about the same so pricing it around $850 would be perfect.

I don't consider the "Smart" battery introduced in the Vision as a good thing, so the new P2 is a disappointment, although expected.

A nice workaround will be purchasing a Vision/P2 shell when it is available, probably in the $70 range, and plop the P1 innards into it and then have room for a 5200mAh regular lipo. Will probably get about the same time as in the air as a P2 and have the benefit of much cheaper power, and even better, no smart pin problems.

If you're going to take apart the entire Phantom to begin with (the bottom shell is really the only real chassis), and you'll need to make sure the mainboard fits, fashion a door and a new connector for the P2V shell, make a hole for the LED (and something for the USB cable), etc. etc., you're almost certainly better off just making the Phantom 1 battery opening bigger. You can use your existing connector, the door still closes, and the space is big enough to fit a 5400mah (2x 2700) battery already. It's a shame the P2V battery is so expensive, because the work required to use the shell is almost certainly not worth it.

But seriously, at that point, why not just buy one of the F450/F550 combos (not even talking about other manufacturers).

ElGuano said:
Apologies, my mind was stuck on P2V.

I was wondering if you could keep your LED/USB from the P1 and use that as a battery status indicator, and I realized I have no idea how the NAZA gets its voltage signal (I assume one of the small circuits on the PDB feeds the voltage reading to the NAZA) or whether the NAZA even controls RTH/low voltage on the smart battery systems.

No worries. Anyway, I am not excited about the P2, even though I was hoping to be. Maybe there will still be a "P2Pro" that will be more enticing.

@SamurAchzar

Yeah, I get that.

SamurAchzar said:
But seriously, at that point, why not just buy one of the F450/F550 combos (not even talking about other manufacturers).

The prices on those are amazing with the current specials, but I like the Phantom because it's tiny. It fits in a reasonable sized hard case that I can throw in the trunk and fly anywhere. I can also get it on carry-on if I want to really travel with it. I get 22 minutes flight time without a gimbal, and I should be able to run ~20min with gimbal+vtx once I get the Vision props on. The battery to do that costs me less than $20, which I don't think you can swing on a 550.

Given the specification quoted below, is the Phantom 2 running the same 2.4Ghz Tx/RX controller setup as the Phantom 1? Therefore is it right to assume that you could replace this with a Futaba T8J ?

Also anyone know whether the dealers are accepting the $150 Phantom 1 credit with this?

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-02%20at%207.28.36%20PM.png

In answer to to part of my own question -

If you buy either the bare V2 or V2+Gimbal then some dealers are accepting the $150 coupon for previous Phantom owners (that roughly translates to £100 off in the UK) - only valid until end of December though

I would think you could get the 25 minutes. The vision has the camera with the downlink feed and gets 25 minutes. I would think the gimbal (although the zenmuse does charge the gopro which is a waste) and no FPV would get more than 25 minutes and if you used a conservation FPV system you could get at least 25 minutes. I would think even if its 20 minutes, thats a big enough deal for me.

The only downside is charging the battery. It is my understanding you can only charge it with the dii charger and so you can only do one at a time (unless you had multiple chargers) and there is no "rapid charging".

Speaking of which, how long does it take to charge a vision battery?

Ksc said:
I would think you could get the 25 minutes. The vision has the camera with the downlink feed and gets 25 minutes. I would think the gimbal (although the zenmuse does charge the gopro which is a waste) and no FPV would get more than 25 minutes and if you used a conservation FPV system you could get at least 25 minutes. I would think even if its 20 minutes, thats a big enough deal for me.

The only downside is charging the battery. It is my understanding you can only charge it with the dii charger and so you can only do one at a time (unless you had multiple chargers) and there is no "rapid charging".

Power draw is probably insignificant compared to AUW. The P2V is listed as having an AUW of 1160g. Getting 25+ minutes out of that is DAMNED IMPRESSIVE. I don't know what a P2 + zenmuse + gopro weight will be, but I'm guessing it is 1200g+ (it HAS to be significantly more than the ungimbaled P2V camera). My P1 is 1210g with gimbal, camera, FPV, 9" props and 4400mah battery and it barely hits 18min at 90% drain. I'll be really pleasantly surprised if the P2 + H3-2D can stay in the air for 25 min.

Ksc said:
whats AUW? AU weight?

Weight in GOLD.

Actually, it stands for "all-up weight." Total weight at takeoff, including battery, GoPro, sd card, whatever other gizmos/doo-dads you attach to your quad for flight.

ElGuano said:
Ksc said:

Power draw is probably insignificant compared to AUW. The P2V is listed as having an AUW of 1160g. Getting 25+ minutes out of that is DAMNED IMPRESSIVE. I don't know what a P2 + zenmuse + gopro weight will be, but I'm guessing it is 1200g+ (it HAS to be significantly more than the ungimbaled P2V camera). My P1 is 1210g with gimbal, camera, FPV, 9" props and 4400mah battery and it barely hits 18min at 90% drain. I'll be really pleasantly surprised if the P2 + H3-2D can stay in the air for 25 min.

hey how do you fit a 4400 mah battery in your phantom v1?

idan_estee said:
hey how do you fit a 4400 mah battery in your phantom v1?

There's a well-documented mod a few of us have done--you have to take the Phantom apart completely and widen the battery opening, as well as shave down a couple of plastic rails in the lower shell. From there you can either stuff two batteries in parallel, or the more extreme route, solder two 2200s together to make a single 3S2P 4400 or two 2700s to make a 5400.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20