Phantom 2 with GoPro3 taking pictures

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 Vision and just received a Phantom 2 with gimbal and gopro3.
I know using the P2V I simply click on the camera icon on my ipad to take shots but with the P2 and gopro3 it appears I don't have that option looking at the FPV monitor. Using the gopro3 do you setup all your shots before you take off? Can you control the camera taking shots once in the air? :)

All of the GoPro settings must be done on the ground. That includes pressing the record button. If you want stills you will have to take them out of the video during editing.

If I want pictures, I use the mode that records video, and pictures at the same time. I set it to take a picture every 5 or 10 seconds, and then pick the best pictures to keep, and trash the rest.

tawd77 said:
If I want pictures, I use the mode that records video, and pictures at the same time. I set it to take a picture every 5 or 10 seconds, and then pick the best pictures to keep, and trash the rest.

Cool.. Didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip!

hook3m said:
tawd77 said:

Cool.. Didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip!

That's my preferred method as well.
it's a bit of a tradeoff when it comes to the video,.. it only works at 1080/30fps if you want 30fps video, but the stills will be 16:9 (wide).
if you want larger 4:3 stills, you need to shoot at 1440, but found that only works for me at 24fps, which is ok in some situations.

but if you're flying FPV, these are the only modes you want to shoot with if you want stills, as the standard time-lapse mode the screen will go blank ever few seconds when it snaps the picture!

Macdougal said:
I have a Phantom 2 Vision and just received a Phantom 2 with gimbal and gopro3.
I know using the P2V I simply click on the camera icon on my ipad to take shots but with the P2 and gopro3 it appears I don't have that option looking at the FPV monitor. Using the gopro3 do you setup all your shots before you take off? Can you control the camera taking shots once in the air? :)

For best IQ, timelapse mode for sure. Especially if you're planning to stitch panos.

tawd77 said:

Video explaining setup of the GoPro to take photos and film at the same time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPgRb9e1_w

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr