Phantom 2 with Fatshark

Reaction score
I want to connect a phantom 2 with hero 3 to fatshark Predator (v1?). What cables will I need to purchase to do this? We just got the Fatshark from Ebay and purchased a Phantom 2 (v2) with no camera's (the newer with the thumb dial on the transmitter). I already have a gopro hero 3 and an HD3d gimbal that I will be installing once the Phantom arrives. As you can see, I have all (or most) of the pieces... just curious on the cables needed so that I can FPV through my GoPro camera.

If I'm missing anything, any help would be great.

gmann001 said:
I want to connect a phantom 2 with hero 3 to fatshark Predator (v1?). What cables will I need to purchase to do this? We just got the Fatshark from Ebay and purchased a Phantom 2 (v2) with no camera's (the newer with the thumb dial on the transmitter). I already have a gopro hero 3 and an HD3d gimbal that I will be installing once the Phantom arrives. As you can see, I have all (or most) of the pieces... just curious on the cables needed so that I can FPV through my GoPro camera.

you probably got the predator V2, I don't think anyone is selling the V1 anymore.

The only other thing you need is an iOSD. If you want a "plug and play" cable to hook everything up, I don't think they make one unless you have an iOSD connected..

something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LDX65OS/

myancon said:
gmann001 said:

you probably got the predator V2, I don't think anyone is selling the V1 anymore.

The only other thing you need is an iOSD. If you want a "plug and play" cable to hook everything up, I don't think they make one unless you have an iOSD connected..

I'm going to piggy back on this thread since it sounds like gmann001 is in the same position I am. I've got the Phantom 2 with H3-3D and GoPro Hero3+ and want to do a goggle-based FPV system. Would you recommend the FatShark Predator 2 or suggest going with something else altogether? What would a "complete" parts list look like?

EDIT: Also, in your opinion, are goggles or a mounted screen better for FPV? I'm really looking for a 50/50 mix of the "wow" factor and easier setting up of shots.

gmann001 said:

Do you have a video transmitter yet? If so, which one? The plug and play cables are brand specific. There's one for Boscam and there's one for ImmersionRC/Fatshark.

Boscam: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable- ... xtech.html
IRC/Fatshark: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable- ... Shark.html

As mentioned above, you'll want the Mini iOSD. It's really unwise to fly FPV without OSD.

If you don't have a video transmitter yet, then the IRC or Boscam transmitters are both advisable.

IRC: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=266
Boscam: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... itter.html

charleszink said:
myancon said:
gmann001 said:

I'm going to piggy back on this thread since it sounds like gmann001 is in the same position I am. I've got the Phantom 2 with H3-3D and GoPro Hero3+ and want to do a goggle-based FPV system. Would you recommend the FatShark Predator 2 or suggest going with something else altogether? What would a "complete" parts list look like?

EDIT: Also, in your opinion, are goggles or a mounted screen better for FPV? I'm really looking for a 50/50 mix of the "wow" factor and easier setting up of shots.
Everything you need is listed here:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26413

Just replace the monitors in that list with a set of goggles. Personally, I have the Black Pearl monitor, but I'll be adding the Dominator v2 goggles soon.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=2545

For goggles, you'll need a receiver module like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... dule_.html

Some monitors, like the Black Pearl and Boscam, have the receiver module built in so it's not necessary to buy separately.

Monitor vs. goggles. It's personal preference. I've tried both and I like both. If I'm flying solo, I prefer the monitor. If I have a friend with me, I like goggles.

Thanks for the great replies. Here is what I now have along with the P2 (non-vision) and Fatshark Goggles

Am I missing anything? Would I still need a receiver module? Where would that get connected?

gmann001 said:
Thanks for the great replies. Here is what I now have along with the P2 (non-vision) and Fatshark Goggles

Am I missing anything? Would I still need a receiver module? Where would that get connected?

My thoughts:

Is there any particular reason why you want a 250mW transmitter? I made this mistake myself at first, all around the internet people say "250mW is enough" but they're really referring to flying way out in the country with no interference and premium antennas like a massive helix. I would say throw another $10 at your transmitter and get the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter. it's a very solid, well tested piece of equipment many folks around here run it, and the frequency set is compatible with Fatshark. (it's Boscam that is on different frequency set)

If you're going to buy another GoPro.. other than cost why wouldn't you get a Hero 4? it has wide and ultra-wide FOV for all the higher resolutions, and drastically higher framerates than the 3 series. the videos it makes are AMAZING I personally film in 2.7k wide @48FPS now. I mean why go backwards (from a 3+ to a 3) when you could go forwards (from a 3+ to a 4).

"would I still need a receiver module" - take a look at the full name of the RC732 DVR: "7'' 5.8GHz 32CH LCD Diversity Receiver". still think you need a separate receiver? ;) that screen has one built in. two, in fact (diversity)

You didn't mentioned antennas. The "stock whips" that comes with all that equipment are crap really. They put out a linear signal pattern so it's easy to get interference or bad signal. You want a nice omnidirectional antenna on your transmitter which puts out a spherical pattern in all directions... pretty much the best you can buy imo is the FPVLR Pentalobe.
Then on the receiver/display you want at least 1 good long range directional antenna like FPVLR's 4.25 turn helix. That antenna alone is more than sufficient but a helix is directional, meaning you have to keep it pointed at the Phantom... which really isn't hard, but if you just want to do short range flying and not worry about facing the Phantom you could get a nice pinwheel, cloverleaf or otherwise omnidirectional antenna for the receiver.

make sure you get the right PnP wire for ImmersionRC/Fatshark, not the Boscam one!

you're probably going to want some sort of RC mount for the display, or even a tripod if you don't want to mount to RC.

have you been through the "lowest prices on FPV components" stickythread? a lot of good data in there including RC mount and such

please circle back and let me know your experience with that DVR receiver display, if it works well for you I might add it to that stickythread for guys wanting DVR

Great information, thanks! As for some of your questions...

• Is there any particular reason why you want a 250mW transmitter?
    - We received this transmitter with the FatShark Goggles we purchased. Not that I wanted it, just already had it. May need to look into upgrading it to the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter as you suggest.
  • If you're going to buy another GoPro
    - Not buying another. Just already have the two.
  • You didn't mentioned antennas
    - You are corect, I forgot to mention that the FatShark Goggles we purchased has the normal stick antenna's and it also came with the mushroom shaped antennas. I'm guessing those are the omnidirectional you are referring to?
  • make sure you get the right PnP wire
    - It was indeed listed as for ImmersionRC/Fatshark.
  • you're probably going to want some sort of RC mount for the display
    - Excellent idea. Will need to start looking into one.

Thanks again for all the information!

gmann001 you're very welcome. I also recommend the monitor mount dptcalvin linked, I have one personally and it's great. just don't take it on/off the RC very much as the plastic could wear/break where it clips to the silver bar of the RC. They say that in the documentation that comes with it, mine is fine I've actually taken it off the RC maybe 6 or 8 times, otherwise I just leave the mount attached and remove the screen when I travel

Captain Obvious said:
QYV said:
I would say throw another $10 at your transmitter and get the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter. it's a very solid, well tested piece of equipment many folks around here run it, and the frequency set is compatible with Fatshark.

Did you already have HAM license when you went with the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter ?

If not, how long did the course take? Cost of the course and license to operate?

nope, afaik in the US right now there aren't any restrictions on the power of a transmitter like this you're allowed to operate without a license... but I could be totally wrong about that I really haven't looked into it. If there are, most FPV Phantom pilots are violating it :)

I do know that transmitters, FPV and BLOS flight are being considered as part of the overall "new FAA rules for UAS" thing that's a hot topic lately and will be addressed

hah! so pretty much everybody around here is in violation of that

**** fine print aint nobody got time fo' dat :)

seriously though, this is a great example of the absurdity of the laws right now around this stuff. HAM radios are on a completely different level, I have formerly been friends with guys with HAM licenses and the stuff they need to know barely relates to what we're doing.

that being said, I'm looking into it. One of my goals this year is to go legit ands try for a COA

yea I can tell, I've been reading about it for about an hour now. I've also been reading the HAM license prep trainings and test prep, I'm yet to find anything that directly applies to 5.8Ghz FPV in a Phantom 2 application. yet to.. I may... just sayin.

I'm probably going to pick up one of these $40 self prep program/apps and use it to get a technician license.

charleszink said:
myancon said:
gmann001 said:

I just got a phantom 2, I already have a 1 and a vision +, I put a immersion 600mw vtx, a iosd mini, and a gopro 3 black. I prefer googles over a monitor. I'm using Atitudes. I also have a tripod with 7 " rmrc monitor and a uno RX that I take along sometimes for the spectators

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20