Phantom 2 w/ GoPro vs Vision+

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm having trouble finding specific information for the questions I have. I'm looking at getting a Phantom 2 and am wondering what the best route to go is. There's a Phantom 2 bundle with the H3-3D gimbal right now and I'm wondering if buying a GoPro Hero3+ to go with it is better than buying a Phantom 2 Vision+. I have looked at comparison photos and videos and read quite a bit and a lot of people are saying that GoPro is better. I think my main question is: What is the video downlink range of the GoPro? If I can fly out X distance with the Phantom, how far will I be able to view a live stream from the GoPro. I read the Vision+ has a decent live downlink range and wondering the difference between the two.

There's a sale on the GoPro Hero3+ and with the bundle of the Phantom 2 + H3-3D Gimbal, I'm wondering if this would be the best route to go. Any feedback about the best combination would be greatly appreciated and any technical information would go a long ways. Thanks for your help.

With the Phantom2 + GoPro you will need also to buy a video transmitter and a screen / receiver for the ground. How good the range is depends entirely on what setup you go for. The Vision+ works right out of the box with no messing about. The quality however isn't quite a good as the GoPro H3B+.

You have to ask yourself though, what are you going to use this for? If it's just for a bit of fun then the Vision+ is just fine. If you plan to fly commercially and need the very best video you can get from a small platform than the P2 + GoPro is your choice.

Just some quick, random thoughts about the advantages of using a GoPro...

Depending on how you plan to use the Phantom with a camera, you won't necessarily need a video transmitter. (I'm used to checking my results after flight, when I plug in the camera's flash card into my 'puter.)

The removable GoPro camera is usable in other countless other contexts without the Phantom. I haven't heard how useful the Vision's camera is useful--if at all--without using the Phantom.

With a GoPro camera, you should be able to readily replace it (if it breaks or is replaced by a newer model).

Hardware and software support for GoPro camera runs rings around what's available for the Vision+ camera.

Regardless of which camera--the GoPro or the Vision+ camera--shoots better video, there are many other compelling reasons to get a GoPro...flexibility, adaptability, versatility, accessories, support...

The only good reason is all the different options for resolution and field of view of a GoPro 3+ Black and if you will want to edit your videos and use post production to get the very best footage.

I have the P2 and a GoPro 3+ Black. For the money and what I use it for ... well it's over kill. I'm only doing it for the FPV fun and filming vacation shots... and family stuff.

I bought the best at the time and the vision plus wasn't even announced yet. I wanted range but found out that the fpvlr.com has some extended range kits that are inexpensive for the vision+

I would have enjoyed the vision + ability to start and stop recordings and pictures remotely. I also love the connectivity of the Vision plus to social media.

I think those are the major differences... as far as the camera it's all about what you will use it for.

I have been a professional videographer for close to 10 years and am very familiar with tons of camera equipment including the first version - the latest offerings from GoPro. Despite this familiarity with the GoPro cameras I purposely held off on a quad copter purchase until they had a more "all in one" solution like the Vision + so as soon as I heard about it I jumped and purchased one.

The unit arrived.. Loved the ease of use but then after reviewing the footage it just did not match up to what the new GoPro 3+ black version (which I also have) offers.

I used it for a few shoots and the quality difference although relatively minor just keep eating away at me so I bit the bullet and purchased another Phantom... This time with the H3-3D gimbal and after doing some homework purchased the BlackPearl diversity monitor receiver (RX) with the ImmersionRC 600mw video Transmitter (TX) for the FPV setup (so I could see what I was getting as I was flying). I also purchased some upgraded antennas for the set which I believe is crucial!!

When the parts came in I spent a good 2-3 hours soldering everything together and testing to make sure it all worked, all in all it was easy but I am also relatively familiar with tinkering with electronics.

So what is the consensus after comparing both?
As I anticipated GoPro Black+ visuals are much better.
The GoPro/Phantom rig is a little bit more difficult to use and of course you have to build it up or buy it already built(cost more).
When you go to fly you have to set the GoPro in whatever mode you want.. Start Recording... Make sure that your monitor is charged etc etc... All of this though is not that big of a deal.

In comparison, the V+ is easier to use. Need to change a camera setting? Let go of the sticks, let it hover and make the change while is in the air.... Nope.. you cant do this with the GP.

Final thoughts:
If you are a hobbyist looking to save a few bucks and want a easy to use setup and are willing to live with visual quality that is not 100% what a Go-Pro 3+ black would be then get the V+ and don't look back!!

If you are a pro - semi-pro looking to get aerials to compliment your videos and are 100% concerned with visual quality and willing to pay more and work a little more to achieve better visuals then go for the phantom 2 / gimbal / gopro setup.

Of course if your business is aerial photo/video then don't consider any of the phantoms and go for one of the pro octocopter rigs but then you spending 10K+ :lol:

I was in the same boat as you, do I go with Gopro or vision, I decided to go with the Gopro silver, I didn't need the wifi that the Gopro black has. there is more settings and can do more with the Gopro. I am using a foxtech screen, good picture, no blue screen, I have the dji avl5.8 receiver and transmitter, and used the dji hub that everything plugs into NO soldering. Was up and running in less than 20 minutes, the POV is great, foxtech now makes a rechargeable screen, that would save weight from a battery,,

I have the old vision and the p2 with gopro black 3+ what I hated about the vision was trying to view the fpv on your phone in bright sunlight I don't guess that problem has changed with the v2+ :evil:

hotstink626 said:
I have the old vision and the p2 with gopro black 3+ what I hated about the vision was trying to view the fpv on your phone in bright sunlight I don't guess that problem has changed with the v2+ :evil:

Sunshades? Duh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20