Phantom 2 VRS

Reaction score
For all the experts out there can any identify if this the infamous Ring Vortex State situation?
The winds were very heavy. i believe they 15+ with gusts up to 40. I waited for times when it was less windy to do just an up and down, then side to side test flight... the wind was blowing from the cameras right. When i throttled left it wasn't very hard, I believe the wind caught and and swept it. I was throttling left and it was caught in a gust, as i tried to power hard right the gust of wind had subsided while the craft was still trying to power out of it and i believe i created the ring vortex while power hard right...
broke two stock props. other then hat its working great. did a start up sequence again to make sure without taking off. every things great. popping off the gimbal and fpv until i feel comfortable behind the wheel.

Lesson Learned
pilot error, extreme wind conditions, and possibly the ring vortex...
I did a rigorous pre-flight check and even had the guys walk me through it on the phone just so there was absolutely no possibility of missing something.

1. GoPro powered on (recording)
2. Futaba Tx powered on
3. Phantom Battery turned on (Green)
4. Compass Calibration
5. FPV Powered on
6. CSC start up
:shock:
heres the video
http://youtu.be/iWHH-S4xCy0

Re: Phantom 2 Ring Vortex State

Hard to tell but it at least looks similar to VRS. Prop guards apparently help induce VRS. I would remove them unless you really need them for some other reason. Be sure to switch back to the shorter screws when you do! Wind was also a factor. Normally wind is helpful when you descend into it as it pushes the vortex away. But either you were moving very aggressively or there was a lot of wind turbulence. Either way, between flying back into your own wash, turbulence disturbing lift, and the prop guards, your Phantom couldn't produce lift evenly for long enough to get way out of balance and take a dive.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub