Dirty Bird said:
nexus said:
I am an level 9 engineer in technology

I didn't go to MIT for nothing

I FLY DRONE FOR THE NAVY

Aren't you the guy who married Morgan Fairchild? :roll:
:D :lol: Till sides hurt!

nexus said:
The controller used a 2mhz @ 100mw for flight control as any RC toy.

Huh?

Your grandstanding over flying at such heights is only adding to fodder used by the FAA to kill the model airplane hobby! :evil:

Did you ever consider possible collisions with real planes? Don't tell me that you looked before doing this; even with binoculars it is hard to see your own aircraft.

Think about the damage you are doing!

nexus said:
I have flown my phantom from inside my car on a tablet screen as I drove around keeping in range, best **** traffic report and cop finder.

Wow, that must take some serious skill to drive a car while flying your phantom! :shock:

You relies that doesn't show smaller planes, right ? Smaller planes could be flying at any altitude. If the lower limit is 500 or 1000ft or whatever in the area, who is to say they won't be flying lower because they are having problems or just a mistake on their part.

Oh and AGL stands for "above ground level" but thanks for including the meaning (well, what you thought it was anyways) for those of us not as educated as your self :)

What does the airport restriction have to do with anything ? bare with me a second, but Is it possible a plane could be flying, in the sky, outside of the airport range ?

Its hard to believe you have a pilots lic (and I doubt any one does believe it)...... If you did you would not have such a laid back attitude.. i.e You might think "hey it could be me flying up there the next time some one uses plane finder instead of watching".

nexus said:
timtown said:
Your grandstanding over flying at such heights is only adding to fodder used by the FAA to kill the model airplane hobby! :evil:

Did you ever consider possible collisions with real planes? Don't tell me that you looked before doing this; even with binoculars it is hard to see your own aircraft.

Think about the damage you are doing!

I think and plan on what I'm going to be doing...........
Well besides the built-in safety airport restriction in the firmware, just like many other things we do in life. Safety and resposiblity is key. I have my small craft private flight license, so i am very aware of the FAA's regulations and all flight patterns in my area, the phantom is yet not in the 15,000 AGL (Avarge Ground Level) Class "YET" lol.

Being a responsible Air Hobbiest would have an app on a tablet or laptop called PLANE FINDER A Real Time AIR TRAFFIC app that gives you near by planes with altitude and flight course. .. Do you have this?

...not in the 15,000 AGL (Avarge Ground Level) Class "YET" lol...

Actually I'm betting a real pilot would know that AGL stands for "Above" Ground Level, not "average" ground level...

And a guy who flies drones for the military and special ops would probably know that too.

:lol:

nexus said:
justin00 said:
You relies that doesn't show smaller planes, right ? Smaller planes could be flying at any altitude. If the lower limit is 500 or 1000ft or whatever in the area, who is to say they won't be flying lower because they are having problems or just a mistake on their part.

You are misinformed, Yes it does pick up small craft like single prop Cessna Pipers and bush planes, What it doesn't pick up is un-planned emergency craft like police, medical heli's. Plus average Altitude for a Cessna is no lower then 600FT AGL and this is mostly at landing or take off, they stick around 1500FT.

I understand the point you are trying to extend to me, and I agree with you. But I am not a teen messing around, I know what I am doing and apply common sense to the hobby. Granted, the media and legal provisions that are trying to taint our hobby has majorly increased in the last few month, a lot of people are attacking the hobby, but for the wrong reasons. They are more concerned about the kids that get their hands on these and invade privacy, and don't understand what they should be used for. Obama signed off on a bill allowing UAV's armed over american land. No one is bitching about that.
I use my Phantom for MANY applications, not just a sport. I do photography work, Land surveying, Roof and Structure Inspections of High-rise buildings, CCTV installation Planning and occasionally take out on the boat to fly around to find the FISH! I have even used it once to scan a neighborhood to find a kids Labrador. It has a million and one uses. It's a new trade tool. what do you use you're for?

Just to add, I have been around aircraft's my whole life, I can tell a plane and what model it is from miles. And always fly in an open flied with a clear line of sight around you.

Cheers mate, keep on flying.
[/quote]

Hi People,
Plane Finder is based on ADSB transponders data sent by aircrafts.
ADSB transponders send data like ICAO24, position, altitude, speed etc
So if the aircraft has not a ADSB transponder or it is not enabled .... the AC will not be shown in Plane Finder.
There is an interesting site http://www.fr24.com that is able to show even ACs without ADSB transponder, therefor not sending positional data from ACs. But they developed a ADSB receiver with GPS and some features that are able to send data to FR24 servers and there by meaning of delays in signals from several receivers, the servers do an interpolation ou "MLAT" (multi-lateration) and in this way are able to put an AC in the map doing a trackin just as it were sending GPS data.
Usually comercial ACs (but not all) are equipped with ADSB tranponders.
So, if an AC is not shown in Plane Finder.... it does not mean that it is not over your head !!!

Best regards : Juan

^^ Thanks for posting that up. I was going to post similar but its pointless arguing :/

Had a helicopter fly over me at the park I was flying at this evening... It was seriously at 150ft. Wasn't police or emergency services. Never seen one that low before...legal limit to fly is 400ft.. I would been blooooody worried if she was high up.. luckily I was doing testing after modding wifi and it was just hovering a few ft up right infront of me.. was going verry fast aswell.

Most entertaining thread I've read in a while, wish I had caught it earlier. I'd love to leave a comment, but "I CAN NOT DISCLOSE MY REAL OPERATION OPSEC *****!"
MIT? Really??? I went there as well... maybe we were in the same CCTV installers class! The same one with... eh... Morgan Fairchild... yeah, that's the ticket!
Sorry... couldn't resist. :twisted:

I am not stupid... It's just most can't think outside of the padded cell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1