phantom 2 vision+ or?

Reaction score
i am a newbie here. i use my hero 3 go pro on my motorcycle and have issues often with losing my connection with my samsung as a monitor by bluetooth. i also have issue with my gps using bluetooth on my helmet. i am saying this because i am considering getting a phantom 2 with gimbal mount for my go pro hero 3 silver but since i mainly want to do high quality stills with maybe video 40% of the time i am worried about losing my expensive toy. i know i need f.p.v. and am wondering if i would have less chance of a fly away or other issue if i stick with the vision+?
thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Hmmm...... You may not want to hear this, but maybe you should buy a vPlus and attach 2,000 feet of kite string to it? I sure wish I would have thought of doing that after I bought my 1st quad.

i can see it now,i run it up to 400 ft. and the wind comes up blowing the string and the p2 near a tree..dang..if i didn't have the string on it i would have been able to land..now it is hanging by a string and i feel like i am in a peanuts cartoon. lol.

I have abused my Vision+ probably more that most people, and it continues to perform well. It has seen freshwater 5 times, and after a good dry-out still flies fine. The Vision+ camera isn't supposed to be quite as good as the top of the line Hero, but for my purposes it's very good. The fact that it's an all-in-one package, makes it very enticing. If you do buy the Vision+ go slow and read a lot of threads on the "do's & don't's" of this quad. There are a slew of great YouTube videos also, where you can learn a lot.

thanks dannytroy. i agree that the vision as an all in one is appealing but the fact that i read about people trying to adapt the vision to the zenmuse and hero3 as well as talk of the vision gimbal and camera being expensive to replace and not as sturdy makes me a bit leary.
i must say it sounds like like you have had great success with yours..did you get any accidental underwater video? lol.

No underwater video. Since I have a styrofoam shell, the Phantom never goes underwater. When I get to it, it's usually sitting upside down at the surface. The fact that it has never sunk in deep water is likely the reason it continues to be revived. Also, it seems when it hits the water the video always cuts out. The best video I got is a splash when it hit the water. I have seen some cool underwater video on YouTube, but I don't think they were with the DJI camera. I believe they were with the waterproof GoPro.

i have not seen the styrofoam shell..since i want to do photography near water as well i should look into that.
that is great that the camera is ok after water crashes.i have been concerned about how to deal with that for my go pro.

I'll do a YouTube video showing it, in case you (or anyone else) decides to make the shell. Best thing is it is installed and removed in seconds, with no tools. Someone will copy the design and make good money on it. Maybe Dronexpert!

i look forward to seeing it. i will likely make something for mine..maybe a wider base that will be less likely to tip.
i do invent and build a lot of things..including a high speed hydroplane built from scratch.

seems like a good idea. i wonder about a self inflating base that would be like skinny pontoons until it hits water and then inflates with CO2. I may work on something like that once i have mine and dial it in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers