Phantom 2 Vision+ GPS Upgrade -FANTASTIC!!!

Also with the higher gain antenna and thicker puck you may have to trim some of the plastic bracing in the top off the shell to allow clearance.

Either are good

DIGIKEY

http://www.digikey.com/product-d ... 931-1015-ND/2332642
http://www.digikey.com/product-d ... 931-1126-ND/2690283

They require a little soldering experience. You can check out the you tube video on changing out the puck.

did some experimenting tonight after the wife went to work with the GPS antennas to see if one is better than the other.
I currently had the 1126 antenna in a P2V2plus running 3.12 FW. and the 1015 antenna in a P2V1 running 3.08.

Both perform better than OEM but is has seemed to me the P2v1 was locking faster and holding it better than the plus.
so with Yuengling Lager in hand and both quads on the work table I opened them up.
I figured the easiest way to test would be to change antenna's and simply swapping covers did that nicely.

reassembled with 1126 antenna on the P2v1 running 3.08
1015 antenna is now on the V2plus with 3.12

both do great getting satellites , even in my kitchen and garage.
The P2V1 with 1126 and 3.08 seems to be even faster now and I just walked through the house holding it with solid gps lock. This is the way I remember the Plus was PRIOR to me updated to 3.12.

In summary, I sure would like to have 3.08FW in my P2V2plus and I maybe give the 1126 antenna a slight edge.

Good info, and thanks for the test results. Happy flying.

Hi people,

Congratulatios for the excellent work helping a lot of people with info.

I have some months ago had my PV2+ falling from near 30 feet high and as resolt the bird had lost almost all sats.
Taking a closer look at its GPS i found that the antenna craked almos mear its half.
As i do not liked to stay withot flying the bird, i tought how i would workaround this....
After several ideas... came on mind to fulfill tha crank wit graffitte from a simple pencil, letting in this way the antenna area working again with the same area...
It worked fine ...again 10/ 12sats all the time, without failures.
DSC0361GPS-Antenna.gif

I did not researched enoug and bought an 25x25x4 ceramic antenna.... but in delivered i noticed that the original one is 25x25x2 mm ... so there is no room to put the 25x25x4 mm it in PV2+

Can someone inform if there is a wat to workaround this ?

Thanks in advance : Juan

Attachments

• DSC0361GPS-Antenna.gif
    DSC0361GPS-Antenna.gif
    306 KB · Views: 455
If I recall correctly, you need to trim off any plastic fins in the top shell that are in the way so it will fit.

Oops.. I see RoyVa already mentioned that.

MapMaker53

Ok, tks
Searching for info regarding 4mm antenna i found someone that modifyied the upper shell with a Dremel tool..... to fit a 4mm antenna.
Excellent idea ! I will try it in few days... I do not have a Dremel at hand now....

Best regards and tks a lot. Juan

Hi people,

Congratulatios for the excellent work helping a lot of people with info.

I have some months ago had my PV2+ falling from near 30 feet high and as resolt the bird had lost almost all sats.
Taking a closer look at its GPS i found that the antenna craked almos mear its half.
As i do not liked to stay withot flying the bird, i tought how i would workaround this....
After several ideas... came on mind to fulfill tha crank wit graffitte from a simple pencil, letting in this way the antenna area working again with the same area...
It worked fine ...again 10/ 12sats all the time, without failures.
View attachment 34827
I did not researched enoug and bought an 25x25x4 ceramic antenna.... but in delivered i noticed that the original one is 25x25x2 mm ... so there is no room to put the 25x25x4 mm it in PV2+

Can someone inform if there is a wat to workaround this ?

Thanks in advance : Juan

It will fit with a little maneuvering or as others have done a small amount of trimming on the plastic in the cover.

you can use a simple knife or even needle nose pliers. I did not cut anything on my 2 phantoms .
You did well with the 4mm antenna , it has a somewhat higher gain so you will most likely pick up more sat or at least lock GPS faster

good luck and have fun flying!

Hi from Australia! Having constant GPS receiver issues and looking to upgrade the antenna. Will this do the job:

2pcs Passive Ceramic GPS Antenna 1575.42MHZ 25*25*2mm for GPS Module Navigation

Thanks in advance.

it will work in the phantom.
HOWEVER it appears to be same as stock OEM as far as receiver gain. In other words if yours in NOT broke don't bother.

you want to use a higher gain antenna that will "pick" up weaker signals----IE 4MM antenna such as:

others will work and ebay does have some sellers with them.

mainly you want one better than current oem if your going to swap it.

it will work in the phantom.
HOWEVER it appears to be same as stock OEM as far as receiver gain. In other words if yours in NOT broke don't bother.

you want to use a higher gain antenna that will "pick" up weaker signals----IE 4MM antenna such as:

others will work and ebay does have some sellers with them.

mainly you want one better than current oem if your going to swap it.

Yes, those links DO NOT work.. would this be the one??

4mm GPS antenna 931-1015-ND

Actually, this was the other one in your post:

4mm GPS antenna 931-1126-ND

So which one is better, or does it matter?

I posted in the other thread i had 3 left over and now 1 left, if you want it i'll mail it to you tomorrow.

Using the 4 mm thick GPS module will invalidate the warranty however if your like me over a year it doesn't make any difference. I changed the module on one of mine. You do have to trim the plastic fins off all the way out to the 4 screw posts. Then it fits fine. After the mod I picked up 10-12 satellites where as before I was getting 6-7. Well worth the mod as I fly GPS way points a lot.
Next rainy day go I'm going to do my other Phantom also. Picks up seats after and better. Btw I used a pair of wire cutters and clipped the plastic at start point and finish point then twisted and it came right off. Used a pocket knife to finish trimming and cleaning. Worked well in getting out the fins.

I'm about 4 months in with my P2, and from the horror stories I've heard about the warranty, and the lack of any support whatsoever from the place I got it from, I'm not worried too much about voiding the warranty. The module should come in today, but I had to order some desoldering stuff, and everything else that goes with it actually. That stuff won't arrive till next week. I'm using that time to learn/research how to solder/desolder. Figure by then I should have the hang of it.

Question (for anyone actually...): I've seen videos and web sites going through this mod, and some people mount the module in the same square config as the old one, and some spin it about 45 degrees. Is there an advantage/disadvantage for either orientation? I would think not, so why not just keep it in the same orientation...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic