Phantom 2 Vision Connection Broken Messages

Reaction score
I started getting Phantom 2 Vision Connection Broken messages. What do they mean and why? I did not lose control and brought the Vision back and regained connection. However, this happened in my usual flying place at fairly close range. Thanks.

rmklaw said:
I started getting Phantom 2 Vision Connection Broken messages. What do they mean and why? I did not lose control and brought the Vision back and regained connection. However, this happened in my usual flying place at fairly close range. Thanks.

I think you just lost WiFi connection, not the control connection. Make sure your WiFi repeater is turned on. Also make sure that the flat surface of the repeater points towards the Vision when it is in flight.

Also using your phantom in a place where there are a lot of WiFi networks available normally makes for a shorter range for the WiFi.

Thanks,
Chuggie

Hi All: I'm new here and a new Phantom 2 user as well. Just graduated from the Phantom 1 with the GoPro3 Silver to the Phantom 2 with built in camera and wifi. My problem is similar... Well, actually, it's identical. I can't hold a wifi connection between my "smart" phone and the camera. I'm trying to configure it, which means all the pieces are within an arm's length, but the connection hold for maybe 30 seconds and then the message flashes that the connection has been broken. My wifi config shows the Phantom has been turned off and I've been re-connected to my home wifi connection. I tried "forgetting" all the wifi connections showing up and it still breaks. I thought that perhaps I was inside a too powerful wifi signal, so I took it to a park 3 miles away from anything and the connection still broke. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. I ended up runnnig the camera "manual" with no wifi, smart phone or receiver extender. Thanks.

Hi FhvnEd,
Do you have Sprint as your carrier for your smart phone? I have Sprint and had the same issue. I found out the Sprint Connections Optimizer was probably the issue. I turned off the optimizer on my phone and my Phantom 2 stayed connected for a few minutes while just testing the connection in my home, which is longer than it's ever stayed connected for. Usually I get the connection broken message within 30 seconds. I haven't had a chance to go out and fly it yet since I just found the optimizer setting, but it looks promising.

I have been using a usb battery power supply fixed with velcrose to the underside of the transmitter controller.
From this, I power the iPhone and wifi repeater. Lost signal at 1200ft. (Clear view to Phantom). It used to drop out before that range before I used this. I think it just gives a little boost to both devices. Also, you don't have to worry about charging these two devices all the time.

When I get this, it seems to be in predictable and consistent places. It happens at SOME power lines, and not at others. And some places, I can count on getting it, but it is not apparent to me why. I'm sure it has to be with an interfering signal from somewhere.

I tried installing the updated software for the camera but I'm still having a broken connection problem. I don't understand why a software update would be needed if everything worked fine and then one day it doesn't. I think something else is wrong. Please see my attached a screenshot. I need all the help I can get on this one

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-30-15-42-22.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-30-15-42-22.png
    262.5 KB · Views: 2,691
douglasjre said:
I tried installing the updated software for the camera but I'm still having a broken connection problem. I don't understand why a software update would be needed if everything worked fine and then one day it doesn't. I think something else is wrong. Please see my attached a screenshot. I need all the help I can get on this one

You're not alone. I started having similar issues recently. No real rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes I can connect to the Phantom network. Sometimes I can't. I reset everything a few times and at some point, I get connected and it seems to stay happy for a while. But, if I get out of range, it might not reconnect again until I land and reset stuff, renegotiating the network connection all over again. It's supposed to automatically reconnect and it used to. This started occurring after the recent DJI App update but maybe that's just a coincidence. Makes me wonder if there is a setting on my phone or in my app that I've not got configured correctly. :geek:

I've also been trying to record my flights using the Reflector app on my Mac Book Pro. Basically I wait for my camera and repeater to negotiate their connection and then I connect my Mac Book Pro to the Phantom network (sometimes it lets me connect to the Phantom network and sometimes it doesn't) so that I can use airplay to record the flight (on my Mac). I flew twice today and was only able to get the Mac Book to connect to the Phantom network one time (everything worked normally and I recorded the flight until the wifi connection was broken between the camera & repeater which then resulted in a landing so that I could get the Phantom wifi to work with the DJI app again). Strange stuff. Though I'm sure there is a guy somewhere who works for DJI who could easily explain what we're dealing with--lol).

clay thank you for your reply. My dilemma is that this is the only screen I see on my phone from now on

douglasjre said:
clay thank you for your reply. My dilemma is that this is the only screen I see on my phone from now on

If that's all you see, period....

Basics that I would check include the following:
Verify that the power plug is pushed in all the way in the back of the camera. Verify that the repeater (little box on the transmitter) is fully charged and giving you some lights when you turn it on. Verify that on the camera, the switch on the back is pressed all the way over to "wifi". Turn on your transmitter and wifi repeater. Turn on your phantom and verify that the camera's power light (on the back of the camera) is on. After everything has been turned on for 15 seconds, on your phone, go to settings and make sure you connect to the phantom network before opening the DJI app. Open the DJI app and go to the camera and it should be working. If it's not, you may have accidently reset the camera by pressing the little button on it. In that case, I'm pretty sure you need to rebind the camera to the repeater using a code on the original box the Phantom came in.

douglasjre said:

I've got the same problem for some reason... I've got the quad turned on (with the new firmware) as well as the remote controller and the wifi receiver.
what the. *beep* is the problem?

The problem is not the range extender of the Phantom or.... But: the lack of an internet connection through the WiFi of the range extender.
Your phone will activate mobile data and this causes the connection to drop.
If you disable mobile data you will directly have a connection with the Phanton.
Found this out on my DJI Phantom2 Vision +. Garanteed success

On my phone (Android HTC One (M8)) it is in the configuration settings , mobile data. I'm using a widget on my phone to quickly turn it off and on

I haven't flown my Vision 2 for a couple months. Yesterday, I updated the DJI Vision app on my Android HTC One. Today, I fired up my Phantom and planned to take her our for a run when I received the dreaded "Connection Broken".

Here's what solved it for me: I turned of EVERYTHING that transmits or receives data, except my WiFi and I only left that on to (obviously) connect to the copter. I turned off Mobile Data, GPS and Bluetooth. See the screenshot.

I haven't tried turning on each one, one-by-one to see what ultimately caused it, but at this point, I don't care.

Note: I did not have any issues with my WiFi only iPad. Only with my smartphone.

I hope this helps others because this was a damned frustrating issue for me.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-30-19-28-02.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-30-19-28-02.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,234
I had a similar problem with my Galaxy S4, my fix was to turn on "Airplane Mode". I've had solid connections since then, no drop outs at all.

If you turn on Airplane Mode, it turns off WiFi, which you need. So I don't get how that worked.

tincup said:
I had a similar problem with my Galaxy S4, my fix was to turn on "Airplane Mode". I've had solid connections since then, no drop outs at all.

Reactions: rdewet
Thank you for supporting the solution that I 've described three posts before you :)

BradnerBoy said:
I haven't flown my Vision 2 for a couple months. Yesterday, I updated the DJI Vision app on my Android HTC One. Today, I fired up my Phantom and planned to take her our for a run when I received the dreaded "Connection Broken".

Here's what solved it for me: I turned of EVERYTHING that transmits or receives data, except my WiFi and I only left that on to (obviously) connect to the copter. I turned off Mobile Data, GPS and Bluetooth. See the screenshot.

I haven't tried turning on each one, one-by-one to see what ultimately caused it, but at this point, I don't care.

Note: I did not have any issues with my WiFi only iPad. Only with my smartphone.

I hope this helps others because this was a damned frustrating issue for me.

Good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik