Phantom 2 Vision Camera Tilt Issue

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have recently bought a Phantom 2 Vision and had several flights with it so far. The only thing I am wondering about is the camera tilt. Is it normal for the Vision that I can't set the camera tilt to like completely straight forward? I find it kind of annoying. I would like to shoot what's in front of me, not what's slightly in front and mostly under the phantom. I am using the DJI Vision app on iPhone, and the tilt control over the phone works fine. I just can't get the angle that I want. Any ideas? Is there any way to tilt the camera a little more upwards? If not, then it's a bit of a disappointment, really.. :?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad English.

Noise is perfectly normal - digital servo running at 200hz for a quicker response. Reminds me of an old dial-up modem. :)

The camera does have a tendency to drop from straight ahead in flight. You can adjust the gimbal settings within the Vision Assistant software. If you have a search you'll find people have suggested settings to bring the camera more upright at start-up but I'm not sure if it will stay there. I'm sure someone who's tweaked their gimbal will be along soon to help.

wojciech23 said:
Hi guys!

I have recently bought a Phantom 2 Vision and had several flights with it so far. The only thing I am wondering about is the camera tilt. Is it normal for the Vision that I can't set the camera tilt to like completely straight forward? I find it kind of annoying. I would like to shoot what's in front of me, not what's slightly in front and mostly under the phantom. I am using the DJI Vision app on iPhone, and the tilt control over the phone works fine. I just can't get the angle that I want. Any ideas? Is there any way to tilt the camera a little more upwards? If not, then it's a bit of a disappointment, really.. :?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad English.

i had a similar issue for one particular commissioned job i had recently. what i did was to disconnect the four plastic shock absorbers from the gimbal, dropped doen the gimbal top plate, fitted some tough foampad at the rear and then reconnected the gimbal plate and then rehung the camera. it only lifted the front (or dropped the back) by a few degrees but it captured a more head on view that i was going for.
the next time i did something completely different, i just mounted my GoPro3 black behind the vision camera and flew backwards!

edited to add : and i concurr with Pull_Up about the noise - it sounds mental and has a built in fan which doesn't help either

Ok thank you guys for your replies! :)
I tweaked a little bit with the Vision Assistant app and managed to achieve what I wanted! Now the camera goes to this angle!

http://youtu.be/6TxDHM7i0bg

Thank you! I will try it out tomorrow how it performs during an actual flight, and I'll let you know! :) Looks exciting though :D I will leave the noise problem then, if it has to I'll just let it do it. I don't hear it when it's in the air anyway, but just knowing that.. ;)

wojciech23 said:
Ok thank you guys for your replies! :)
I tweaked a little bit with the Vision Assistant app and managed to achieve what I wanted! Now the camera goes to this angle!

http://youtu.be/6TxDHM7i0bg

Thank you! I will try it out tomorrow how it performs during an actual flight, and I'll let you know! :) Looks exciting though :D I will leave the noise problem then, if it has to I'll just let it do it. I don't hear it when it's in the air anyway, but just knowing that.. ;)

the reason i modded mine the way i did is because by changing the settings i found the gimbal was over stressing itself to keep itself high and was kind of bouncing of its bump stops

Studiowise said:
the reason i modded mine the way i did is because by changing the settings i found the gimbal was over stressing itself to keep itself high and was kind of bouncing of its bump stops

Good to know, thanks! I'll have to try it myself and decide :)

I did post this info in some other thread - but I guess I can type it again here ;)

If you want to have the camera dead ahead the setting for centered value should be around -700, than minimum -1000 (that's the highest the gimbal can go upwards) and 1000 for lowest value - not all the way down, but close. With around -700 you have it dead ahead at power-on.

Did you get something like that as well?

I had the same concern about the camera tilt not going level and figured out how to fix it myself which involves using the assistant software and modifying the values for the gimbal to allow full 1 to 1 movement up and down. I will post a video on what I did on YouTube a little later.

BenDronePilot said:
Here's my video on the Phantom 2 Vision gimbal tilt issue and how to fix it for full range of motion. Please like and subscribe if you find it helpful and would like to see more upcoming videos on the phantom as well as other topics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5TcGt4Nsp4

Thanks Ben. I'll try this method once I receive my P2V if it's not giving me proper camera angles.

You're welcome and best of luck with your new bird.

FYI if you fly it in cold or overcast weather it takes a little longer to get GPS lock as I discovered today so keep that in mind to make sure you give it a minute or two before launch once you power up.

BenDronePilot, is there any danger of stressing the mount by increasing the up limits as you suggest? Have you noticed if it gets close to a mechanical stop or binding?

BenDronePilot said:
You're welcome and best of luck with your new bird.

FYI if you fly it in cold or overcast weather it takes a little longer to get GPS lock as I discovered today so keep that in mind to make sure you give it a minute or two before launch once you power up.

Thanks for the tip! That's good to know too. Can't wait to fly this thing. :D

rmklaw said:
BenDronePilot, is there any danger of stressing the mount by increasing the up limits as you suggest? Have you noticed if it gets close to a mechanical stop or binding?

No, and if anything you're relieving stress from the mechanism. The numbers I set makes it stop pretty much when it's fully dropped or extended which alleviates any stress it had going in the downward configuration in the default setting. Either way if you use the number I put in you'll be fine for sure.

Pull_Up said:
Noise is perfectly normal - digital servo running at 200hz for a quicker response. Reminds me of an old dial-up modem. :)

The camera does have a tendency to drop from straight ahead in flight. You can adjust the gimbal settings within the Vision Assistant software. If you have a search you'll find people have suggested settings to bring the camera more upright at start-up but I'm not sure if it will stay there. I'm sure someone who's tweaked their gimbal will be along soon to help.

I also noticed the drop in camera angle thing today. I had to constantly keep moving the angle back up after a few jerky moves on the control sticks. Is there a fix for this so it will remain at the set position during flight? Isn't that the point of the gimbal to keep the camera pointed at the desired angle no matter the movement of the aircraft?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic