Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Ribbon Cables @ DDM

Re: LIMTED: Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Ribbon Cables @ DDM

Any chance you could make those pictures available again???

M.Tigelaar said:
Jstic said:
I got the cable in the mail yesterday and installed it last nite. My cable had torn in half, and the rear arm of the gimbal had separated at the elbow. Took almost 2 hours to install the cable, but it went pretty smoothly. In the end, I now have a functioning camera, but the gimbal still twitches so I am not 100% repaired yet. But the camera does get a picture and shoots video and can take stills, unlike before.

A couple suggestions for anyone who is going to replace their cable. Start from the camera end first. Each of the connectors has a tiny little plastic lock/clip that has to be pushed up to remove the old cable. I used a very small flat blade screwdriver for this. These are only held in by pressure so flip them up gently. When installing the cable ends into the connectors, use a magnifying glass to see that you have them lined up correctly. If you have to force the little clip back down, something is wrong. Take some time and carefully observe how the cable sits in the connector BEFORE you remove your old cable. Take some pictures if you can, you will be glad you did. Don't remove the adhesive covering until you are sure that you have the cable properly positioned.

BTW, thanks to DDM for making the effort to get this part and sell them at a reasonable price.

Some pictures: :cool:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/foqibdf3ib3h ... zDkjTQS2Sa

webstereo said:
Any chance you could make those pictures available again???

M.Tigelaar said:
Jstic said:
I got the cable in the mail yesterday and installed it last nite. My cable had torn in half, and the rear arm of the gimbal had separated at the elbow. Took almost 2 hours to install the cable, but it went pretty smoothly. In the end, I now have a functioning camera, but the gimbal still twitches so I am not 100% repaired yet. But the camera does get a picture and shoots video and can take stills, unlike before.

A couple suggestions for anyone who is going to replace their cable. Start from the camera end first. Each of the connectors has a tiny little plastic lock/clip that has to be pushed up to remove the old cable. I used a very small flat blade screwdriver for this. These are only held in by pressure so flip them up gently. When installing the cable ends into the connectors, use a magnifying glass to see that you have them lined up correctly. If you have to force the little clip back down, something is wrong. Take some time and carefully observe how the cable sits in the connector BEFORE you remove your old cable. Take some pictures if you can, you will be glad you did. Don't remove the adhesive covering until you are sure that you have the cable properly positioned.

BTW, thanks to DDM for making the effort to get this part and sell them at a reasonable price.

Some pictures: :cool:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/foqibdf3ib3h ... zDkjTQS2Sa

Yes sorry, :oops:
Here it is
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dopg43a9ocq0 ... Z9Mea?dl=0

Finally got mine in, I'll post details tomorrow about the ripping of a 2 day old cable and the replacement.

webstereo said:
Thanks. Looks like it's quite an effort to do the job.

Yes sorry, :oops:
Here it is
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dopg43a9ocq0 ... Z9Mea?dl=0

Take your time and keep your hands steady :D
And do not force anything.
One thing you must look at:
the shaft must be so to sit for the screw,
the hole to allow the screw, otherwise your shaft is 180 degrees wrong.
And then your gimbal goos grazy :lol:
(I know ;) )

Attachments

• Foto 16-08-14 19 27 17.jpg
    Foto 16-08-14 19 27 17.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 748
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 844

So here's the story, I bought a Vision. I really liked it got hooked immediately. But... I had issues with it out of the box. One of the forward arm lLEDs wouldn't light up in flight and the camera would not stay in the position I put in. It would just droop all the way down. So I bitched about it for a few days to my wife and she finally just said send it back and get the Vision+.(I have a really cool wife ;))
After waiting for almost 3 weeks shipping time due to the military postal system, my vision+ arrived. Second flight I crashed it into the side of my house, I stepped off the side of my porch and fell in the yard. :lol: I was watching the Phantom and not where I was walking. :oops: needless to say, I destroyed the cable. Luckily I got one of the few that was available. (Thanks Dave!) I originally bought it as a spare, but who knew it was an omen.
I got the cable on Thursday, one of my friends who is into large scale RC helicopters, is out of work with a broken ankle right now, needed something to do. Yay for broken ankles! He had my cable replaced in about 2 hours. After he brought it back I decided to strengthen the cable at its weak point. The loop that hangs down. I coated it with PR-1750 A-2, a two-part, manganese dioxide cured polysulfide compound thinned down with acetone so I could paint it on. I was a little worried about using acetone on the cable but it seems to be holding up. We use it on helicopters for general sealing and corrosion protection.
We'll see how it holds up. So far so good. The replacement is totally doable. They should have these available as a spare part.

planedr said:
So here's the story, I bought a Vision. I really liked it got hooked immediately. But... I had issues with it out of the box. One of the forward arm lLEDs wouldn't light up in flight and the camera would not stay in the position I put in. It would just droop all the way down. So I bitched about it for a few days to my wife and she finally just said send it back and get the Vision+.(I have a really cool wife ;))
After waiting for almost 3 weeks shipping time due to the military postal system, my vision+ arrived. Second flight I crashed it into the side of my house, I stepped off the side of my porch and fell in the yard. :lol: I was watching the Phantom and not where I was walking. :oops: needless to say, I destroyed the cable. Luckily I got one of the few that was available. (Thanks Dave!) I originally bought it as a spare, but who knew it was an omen.
I got the cable on Thursday, one of my friends who is into large scale RC helicopters, is out of work with a broken ankle right now, needed something to do. Yay for broken ankles! He had my cable replaced in about 2 hours. After he brought it back I decided to strengthen the cable at its weak point. The loop that hangs down. I coated it with PR-1750 A-2, a two-part, manganese dioxide cured polysulfide compound thinned down with acetone so I could paint it on. I was a little worried about using acetone on the cable but it seems to be holding up. We use it on helicopters for general sealing and corrosion protection.
We'll see how it holds up. So far so good. The replacement is totally doable. They should have these available as a spare part.

]

Thanks for the tip.
I might use some strong tape instead.

M.Tigelaar said:

Thanks for the updated link on your DropBox. The first post is updated.

Thanks to those who have received the ribbon cables and have reported back on the install. It is encouraging to see that some are successful at replacing them and getting their camera to work again. We are still trying to get DJI to offer this item separately. We will continue to monitor and update this thread as more information comes available.

-Steve

DJI europe don't want to play ball so Steve anything you can do would be great.

Please also can I go on your list for the next batch :)

thanks

The good thing is that they respond quickly to request though !

DDMSteve said:
M.Tigelaar said:

Thanks to those who have received the ribbon cables and have reported back on the install. It is encouraging to see that some are successful at replacing them and getting their camera to work again. We are still trying to get DJI to offer this item separately. We will continue to monitor and update this thread as more information comes available.

-Steve

:D
Updated my first link also :cool:

The cable has to remain flexible to work properly. I wonder if putting something on it to protect it like the post above will allow it to flex like it needs to when the camera moves.

Jstic said:
The cable has to remain flexible to work properly. I wonder if putting something on it to protect it like the post above will allow it to flex like it needs to when the camera moves.
Took it out today and it works fine. That sealant is like rubber so it flexes.

DDMSteve said:
M.Tigelaar said:

-Steve

Thank You. That went from my wife killing me to a "I told you, you would crash it and break it"
I was so happy I went to the DDM site and bought 2 batteries and 2 sets of props. (I need a lot of props, trees and bushes love me) Maybe I could get another cable so I can have it on hand for next time. :lol:

I was wondering if putting something like duct tape or gorrila tape on the cable will help. It would still give it the flexibility it would need but it would not rip. I need to get mine repaired because of a ripped cable and I might do this with the next one.

I wrote and asked for a replacement ribbon cable and just got this reply:

Dear sir
The ribbon cable for DJI Vision+ is not yet available for sale.
Kindly inquire with a dealer in your local area for the latest update.
Thank you

Best Regards,

DJI Innovations
Tech Support: [email protected]
General Inquiry: [email protected]
Sales: [email protected]
DJI online sales: [email protected]
Marketing: [email protected]
Press Release: [email protected]
Tel: (86 755) 26656677
Office hours: Monday to Friday , 9:00AM to 18:00PM (HongKong Time GMT+8:00)

Reactions: _krausey_

I just ordered the $199 ribbon cable on eBay. The next day the price from the same seller went to $249!

The local service agent quoted me less than 100 euros to replace cable

I see another third party ribbon on ebay for $85.

RedBaron said:
I see another third party ribbon on ebay for $85.

I bit on this "smokin' deal" and plan to install it next week once it arrives. Since this is the only forum/thread I've been able to find where we are trying to document the installation, I'll make an attempt to photograph and possibly video aspects of the repair process as best I can.

Really hope this cable becomes more readily available and soon! It's a **** shame as $15 for even an attempt to repair a $680 device is worth anyone's time to at least try.

I'll update early next week!

Has there been any update on when these will be available?

Can I get put on a waiting list for them?

I have to ship my back today to see, but would like to get a ribbon instead of 679.99, which I'm sure they will tell me the price it to fix.

FYI - was doing a return to home when the DJI was about 100 feet away from where it should have landed - this caused it to hit a scrub on the way down and snapped the camera off.

I could not regain control of the drone with the manual switch.

I hope they fix as it was a few issues with their firmware that caused a very expensive hardware issue.

This is a poor design for the camera, so I would opt for a GoPro if i were to buy again, which will allow 4K video soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20