Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Ribbon Cables @ DDM

Re: LIMTED: Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Ribbon Cables @ DDM

Wow. I hope this means this part will be available to everyone soon! Thanks to those who worked to make it happen.

I cringe looking at that explosed $200 cable. If they get more in stock there are a few phantoms on ebay that have the cable as the only problem...

Dirty Bird said:
Sticky said:
Will DJI acknowledge this issue? Seems like they should be offering free replacements or repairs.

I agree the part SHOULD be readily available, but why should DJI be supplying the part for free? What I am about to say next is not specifically addressed to you but to all the folks complaining about how fragile the Vision+ is:

Take your cell phone and laptop outside to a parking lot, remove any protective case, and throw them straight up as high as you can. Watch what happens when they hit the pavement.... :roll:

Are cell phones and laptops designed/sold to be thrown up in the air? I was under the impression that the P2V+ was sold with the idea it would be used to fly in the air and then make a controlled return to the earth. Not once, but repeatedly. Plenty of the very experienced folks on the forums have made the point about how fragile and easily broken the gimbal is. If cell phones and laptops crashed as frequently as the P2V+ does while performing the tasks they were sold to perform, you'd hear about that too.

Dirty Bird said:
Sticky said:
Will DJI acknowledge this issue? Seems like they should be offering free replacements or repairs.

I agree the part SHOULD be readily available, but why should DJI be supplying the part for free? What I am about to say next is not specifically addressed to you but to all the folks complaining about how fragile the Vision+ is:

Take your cell phone and laptop outside to a parking lot, remove any protective case, and throw them straight up as high as you can. Watch what happens when they hit the pavement.... :roll:

I see your point, but our phones aren't intended to be thrown into the air and landing on hard ground.

The phantom is prone to crashes, they are pretty aware of that, therefore aside from some new blades and a new $60 shell now and then, I think $679 to repair an entire camera is a tad absurd. Make the parts available so people don't have to drop 50% of what the invested into a new camera.

I know if I the screen in my iPhone cracked, chances are the apple store would swap it out and if not, I can get it done at a shop for $100 max, and not have to buy a new $600 phone.

tpallred said:
Dirty Bird said:
Are cell phones and laptops designed/sold to be thrown up in the air? I was under the impression that the P2V+ was sold with the idea it would be used to fly in the air and then make a controlled return to the earth. Not once, but repeatedly. Plenty of the very experienced folks on the forums have made the point about how fragile and easily broken the gimbal is. If cell phones and laptops crashed as frequently as the P2V+ does while performing the tasks they were sold to perform, you'd hear about that too.

Note the point highlighted above? As someone who has been flying RC for 35+ years, trust me when I say when you crash into the ground things are going to break. Phones and laptops aren't designed to fly, so they have much less risk of smashing into the ground, but toss your phone or laptop in the air and it will crash every time! PV2+s don't crash that frequently when under the control of a competent pilot. I'm not saying that there are not hardware failures here and there, but many of these crashes have something to do with the operator. The way to keep your gimbal intact is LAND DON'T CRASH!

Dirty Bird said:
.... The way to keep your gimbal intact is LAND DON'T CRASH!

Excellent advice. It makes me wonder though why so many replies from experienced flyers to newbies expressing concern about spending so much money on a toy (a very sophisticated amazing toy) that may crash include the line, "YOU WILL CRASH!". in the reply?

tpallred said:
Excellent advice. It makes me wonder though why so many replies from experienced flyers to newbies expressing concern about spending so much money on a toy (a very sophisticated amazing toy) that may crash include the line, "YOU WILL CRASH!". in the reply?

All things that fly may crash. In fact, odds are they eventually will, and when they do, they are gonna break. "Every RC aircraft has an expiration date!" was advice an old timer gave me many years ago. All we can do is be as knowledgeable and prepared as possible so we don't make a mistake, and react correctly should a problem arise.

Dirty Bird said:
All we can do is be as knowledgeable and prepared as possible so we don't make a mistake, and react correctly should a problem arise.

Agree completely. My point was that DJI's advertising is misleading as to the complexity of their product and knowledge and skills required to successfully operate it and be happy with the outcome. Hell, everybody has at least one camera and THIS ONE FLIES! :p As DJI reaches out to expand their customer base into a more general consumer market, more of those people - I should say, more of US - are going to end up having the same reaction as andres3020 when they discover the real cost and commitment required to have this hobby. There is a reason that DJI doesn't make reference to any of the support forums on their website. It would slow down sales. The experience that DJI is marketing is so interesting and exciting that I almost whipped out the plastic as soon as I found out about the P2V+ but I forced myself to seek out more information first. I'm disappointed that there are so many issues and potential pitfalls associated with this hobby but at least I won't be blindsided by them like andres3020 when I decide to buy one. But that probably won't be until the most common broken component doesn't cost 50% of my original investment to replace.

I disagree that DJI's advertising is misleading. Despite the amazing technology there is an inherent degree of risk to things that fly. It is not foolproof. I am unsure of your level of experience but, of all the RC aircraft I have ever flown, the Phantom is by far the easiest and most forgiving to fly. With fixed RC wing aircraft, you are in total control. Not only do you have to react, in real time, to the craft's movements from a remote vantage point, you also have to maintain sufficient airspeed just to remain aloft. The Phantom allows slow, precision, flight. It also affords something not available with fixed wing models....a built-in pause...just let go of the sticks and she stops and hovers. This is on top of gyro-stabilized flight, GPS positioning, automatic return-to-home and auto-landing, FPV, and full telemetry. When you land, you hover down to the ground. Hell...you can hand catch a Phantom. Compare that to landing a fixed wing model at speed. Honestly there is no comparison in the level of difficulty involved in flying most RC aircraft vs. the Phantom.

Gotta agree with DB. I've been hyper-careful with my P2V+, knowing how fragile it is. I learned on an FC40 (more robust). Then I clipped a bush with goggles on yesterday, bent the gimbal mount plate and dislodged the camera from the horizontal shaft. I know how to fix the camera... same way when I fixed a horizontal gimbal level problem....

Ahh, but that elusive $15 ribbon cable to complete the repair is missing... $679 for a new camera mount assembly. This blows. The Phantom still flies flawlessly. Anyone want to miracle me and send me that spare $15 cable you have laying around?

Dirty Bird said:
Sticky said:

With all do respect Mr. Dirty Bird... I didn't buy my cell phone fly it around at high altitudes or high speeds. I had the unit totally flip out on me causing the crash. The camera and gimbal started freaking out after the crash and the camera popped off tearing the cable. If I pay $1,200.00, the unit should be hardened enough to handle a crash. Poor engineering is the cause of all these problems.

YazooN said:
If I pay $1,200.00, the unit should be hardened enough to handle a crash. Poor engineering is the cause of all these problems.

Thats like saying a Boeing 747 (at much more cost) should be hardened enough to handle a crash.

YazooN said:
If I pay $1,200.00, the unit should be hardened enough to handle a crash. Poor engineering is the cause of all these problems.

No offense taken, but this is like saying, "If I paid $1200 for a laptop, it should be tough enough to handle dropping it on the floor."

I don't know the specifics of your crash, but the Phantom is designed to LAND not CRASH! If you crash it is prone to break, just like anything else that flies! ;)

I've been into Rc since about 1978 , flown everything , 1/3 scale , gliders , scale etc. I remember I had a 1/3 scale plane with a 4.2 ci motor , tuned pipe , electronic ignition , brand new radio gear. Plus I spent months building and covering the plane.
Took it off flew it around , all of the sudden it flipped over and crashed and destroyed everything. A lot of money was splattered all over the place. I was upset , but , I didn't blame anyone , or whine about it. I was told along time ago , if you fly RC your gonna crash, either suck it up or find another hobby.

This is a thread about a $15 easily broken cable which a lot of people are looking for. I guess there are other forums for you guys who need to tell the world how fantastic pilots you are?

Reactions: _krausey_

Well actually this thread is about a limited amount of $15 ribbon cable that lots of people had asked for and still do ask for in order to show to DJI that it's worthwhile to offer it as a self repair replacement part.
To date the feedback on successful repairs with all of the sold ribbon cables within this thread is rather underwhelming wouldn't you say

Still waiting on mine to get here.

I suspect the reason more people have not posted results from installing the cable is because the installation did not go well. It is VERY difficult to do and has to be done in the proper sequence.

It's not always the ribbon cable that is the culprit, (other than the obvious broken ribbon), but the main circuit board, (top housing). I have several cameras in need of repair, with perfect ribbon cables. When powering up the quad, no little light comes on, green or red. I had one that had such a hard crash that the upper arm pushed hard against the cover plate and wiped out a bunch of very tiny chip resistors. Two other circuit boards show no visible sign of breakage, but DNW. At this point, I am looking for damaged gimbals that have an active green light.

I used to repair TOW/Dragon missile systems, at least the guidance sets, not the missiles themselves. Anyhow, I crashed into the side of my house right before landing on my deck and the camera/arm popped off with the ribbon cable breaking. If there is any availability of a replacement cable, please let me know, I'll definitely post the successful repair. :D

Thanks,
Dayton

jiminyfixit said:
It's not always the ribbon cable that is the culprit, (other than the obvious broken ribbon), but the main circuit board, (top housing). I have several cameras in need of repair, with perfect ribbon cables. When powering up the quad, no little light comes on, green or red. I had one that had such a hard crash that the upper arm pushed hard against the cover plate and wiped out a bunch of very tiny chip resistors. Two other circuit boards show no visible sign of breakage, but DNW. At this point, I am looking for damaged gimbals that have an active green light.

Is that the light on the front of the gimbal base?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl