Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Ribbon Cables @ DDM

Re: LIMTED: Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Ribbon Cables @ DDM

So when can i get one ?

Thanks to these guys at DDM have access to cables cause I wasn't spending $600+ for another DJI camera and gimbal.

It would be nice if there was someway to reinforce these cables or secure the camera. I'm ordering a new cable but I afraid we're right back in the same place.
The cables break like glass. My vision2+ fell 3 feet onto soft grass in the yard after just clipping a bush. Not a hard landing at all. Camera seperated and broke the cable.
My non plus vision2 has taken some pretty strong hits with the DronExpert gimbal and has survived unharmed.

Thank you DDM for the quick shipping, the decal for my quad, and of coarse the promotional candy.

Steve did not mess around with shipping the ribbon and other stuff I ordered from him. I was shocked to find it in my mailbox already.

I got the cable in the mail yesterday and installed it last nite. My cable had torn in half, and the rear arm of the gimbal had separated at the elbow. Took almost 2 hours to install the cable, but it went pretty smoothly. In the end, I now have a functioning camera, but the gimbal still twitches so I am not 100% repaired yet. But the camera does get a picture and shoots video and can take stills, unlike before.

A couple suggestions for anyone who is going to replace their cable. Start from the camera end first. Each of the connectors has a tiny little plastic lock/clip that has to be pushed up to remove the old cable. I used a very small flat blade screwdriver for this. These are only held in by pressure so flip them up gently. When installing the cable ends into the connectors, use a magnifying glass to see that you have them lined up correctly. If you have to force the little clip back down, something is wrong. Take some time and carefully observe how the cable sits in the connector BEFORE you remove your old cable. Take some pictures if you can, you will be glad you did. Don't remove the adhesive covering until you are sure that you have the cable properly positioned.

BTW, thanks to DDM for making the effort to get this part and sell them at a reasonable price.

Jstic said:
I got the cable in the mail yesterday and installed it last nite. My cable had torn in half, and the rear arm of the gimbal had separated at the elbow. Took almost 2 hours to install the cable, but it went pretty smoothly. In the end, I now have a functioning camera, but the gimbal still twitches so I am not 100% repaired yet. But the camera does get a picture and shoots video and can take stills, unlike before.

A couple suggestions for anyone who is going to replace their cable. Start from the camera end first. Each of the connectors has a tiny little plastic lock/clip that has to be pushed up to remove the old cable. I used a very small flat blade screwdriver for this. These are only held in by pressure so flip them up gently. When installing the cable ends into the connectors, use a magnifying glass to see that you have them lined up correctly. If you have to force the little clip back down, something is wrong. Take some time and carefully observe how the cable sits in the connector BEFORE you remove your old cable. Take some pictures if you can, you will be glad you did. Don't remove the adhesive covering until you are sure that you have the cable properly positioned.

BTW, thanks to DDM for making the effort to get this part and sell them at a reasonable price.

Some pictures: :cool:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/foqibdf3ib3h ... zDkjTQS2Sa

Is the cable availability likely a one-time-thing or will it be more broadly available any time soon?

More fragile than butterfly wings, rarer than unicorn teeth, it is the holy grail of Phantom parts!

Skyjunkie said:
Is the cable availability likely a one-time-thing or will it be more broadly available any time soon?

Well so far only 1 of the 24 people that bought the cable have posted back on here as requested by DDM, and that sounds like it was not entirely successful.
Remember guys, if you were lucky enough to get a cable, post some photos or video of the repair as prof it can be done at home.

Jstic said:

Can you share about the connection at the circuit board? I did not spend a lot of time looking but appeared mine was glued down.

harbourside said:
Skyjunkie said:

Well so far only 1 of the 24 people that bought the cable have posted back on here as requested by DDM, and that sounds like it was not entirely successful.
Remember guys, if you were lucky enough to get a cable, post some photos or video of the repair as prof it can be done at home.

I'm from Australia. We are 10 years behind with postage. Probably wont see the cable until late September. I hope DJI can just fully supply to the public. Even if the end user can't, they can always take it to hobby store and have it fixed for the additional labour.

I can foresee that DJI might have the issue where the end-user installs the cable correctly but the gimbal/camera still does the dance because the roll axis motor or another component is damaged. First thing end-user does is call up DJI and complains that they have wasted 2 hours and it still doesn't work.

What would be a fair price to have someone replace the ribbon cable?

I think the problem with a quick answer to your question is that if someone were to send a gimbal/camera for ribbon cable replacement, they would have to do a full diagnostic on the entire system to be sure that the gimbal and camera were sound even with a good ribbon cable. As most of these ribbons are torn during some kind of impact event, the diagnostician/technician (who's responsible) is going to have to be able to sort it all out before letting the person know what's happening. So, for that time, the tools, etc - very, very rough guess- I think it wouldn't be surprising to see a $200.00 repair. Just a thought.

So when can i buy this cable ? i really don`t understand why it is so hard to get it. It´s like in old communism they decide that you can not fix your things because we are much smarter then you. it´s easy to buy parts for your Iphone for instance.

hany said:
So when can i buy this cable ? i really don`t understand why it is so hard to get it. It´s like in old communism they decide that you can not fix your things because we are much smarter then you. it´s easy to buy parts for your Iphone for instance.

Except that it was near impossible to buy parts for an iPhone for the first 3 years of its existence. It's actually a good comparison. As time passes, more parts will be readily available.

hany said:

Lol. Old communism.... Old communism made you become innovative because nothing was available. You had to MacGyver your push bike into an electric generator and family mover.

Welcome to the Disposable-Revolution. It is cheaper to buy an ink-jet printer than it is to buy the refill cartridges. It's more feasible to buy new phone than it is to replace the cracked screen.

The problem here is that DJI has marketed the Vision series as a ready to fly aerial system, therefore introducing it to the average Joe (includes me). They assume the average Joe would NOT have an understanding of electronics or how it works. Now the guy at the top of DJI would assume that it would be easier/feasible to recall and fix and send back rather than to have a technician explain over the phone how to pull it apart. They rather the technician replace the entire ($50 estimated cost) gimbal and camera in 5 minutes than spending 2 hours over the phone diagnosing.

I know that the torn ribbon will only fix a partial issue. The torn ribbon is just the surface of the issues. This is because there a 2 types of crashes. There are those that have torn the cable by hitting an object; and there those that have hit an object and which resulted in the gimbal dance which then resulted in the torn cable. They will both have a common issue once they restore the vision; that is the camera will be tilted because the press-fitted shaft has dislodged and the roll axis motor will try to correct a misaligned camera.

PS.I am very grateful that DDM has made this available to the RC community as such an honest price.

Re: LIMITED: Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Ribbon Cables @ DDM

hi i am interested in buying the ribbon cable for my phantom vision 2 as I must do to arquir one

Re: LIMITED: Phantom 2 Vision+ Camera Ribbon Cables @ DDM

tascam27 said:
hi i am interested in buying the ribbon cable for my phantom vision 2 as I must do to arquir one

All you can do is keep an eye on this thread for when DDM has more stock.

harbourside said:
Skyjunkie said:

I haven't got mine yet, dealing with the military postal system is hit and miss. Sometimes it takes 5 days to get stuff from China, and others it take 8 weeks to get something from a warehouse 3 miles from the APO sort center. They are in the process of moving the APO sort center from NY to Chicago so that will add time also. I might have it by Christmas.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie