PHANTOM 2 VISION - BUMPY VIDEO

Reaction score
So does anyone here know how to better stabilize the camera on the phantom so it doesn't look like footage from a Bob Sled at 90 miles per hour? It was pretty calm today and I was trying to get some footage of a little lake, but it's all choppy and unstable. I would rather fix it at the camera rather than ruin the resolution with editing software. If I have to do that though, I will. The bumpiness is just unacceptable.

Phantasmic - nice summary

Did the footage have Jello? If not, then you can try practicing smooth controlling of the aircraft. That helps a lot. ATTI mode is better but on a calm day, I have no trouble getting reasonably smooth footage in GPS mode. I didn't have Jello on my Phantom even with no isoloation but I put an isolator on mine anyway. I"ve ordered a gimbal and will use that as I still don't get what I want or I have to do a lot of post to get it.

Fair dues, I don't do much low level work except for screwing around (like walking my Phantom back to my house and getting the neighbors to stare out the windows). Higher levels are easier to work with.

ladykate said:
Phantasmic - nice summary

Did the footage have Jello? If not, then you can try practicing smooth controlling of the aircraft. That helps a lot. ATTI mode is better but on a calm day, I have no trouble getting reasonably smooth footage in GPS mode. I didn't have Jello on my Phantom even with no isoloation but I put an isolator on mine anyway. I"ve ordered a gimbal and will use that as I still don't get what I want or I have to do a lot of post to get it.

Fair dues, I don't do much low level work except for screwing around (like walking my Phantom back to my house and getting the neighbors to stare out the windows). Higher levels are easier to work with.

Not really the jello effect, just shaky like you were trying to hand hold it. I have seen some very stable video from the Phantom 2 Vision, and I was just wondering how they're getting it. I would purchase whatever it would take to cure the problem, such as a better gimbal. I'm just not sure what I need.

Wow... Now I'm going to really guess so take it for what it is.

Check to make sure everything is tight. Balance the props (might be a stretch but one could be bent). Stock footage on a calm day is not shaky. Something is causing it that throwing money at might not fix. Find someone with a P2V and compare. If you have example footage, it might help to link it. Some of the others may spot something that could help.

OK, Here's a short video I shot today. It's the worst one I think. There was a slight breeze, maybe 3 MPH, but you'll see what I mean about the shakiness. I understand also what you're saying about smoother control also, and I will get better quickly. This is in a hover mode here though.

How do you balance the props? I did tip it over on and icy field one time on my maiden flight because I had bad information on how to shut the motors off after landing. I was pulling in and down on (Both) joysticks and you only do that on the Left joystick to shut it down. May have a bent prop.

YouTube also offers (Band under video) to stabilize the video, but I didn't do that. Not sure how good they are at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4jpCMJkWao&feature=youtu.be

The P2V camera-gimbal IS stabilized in the pitch dimension....make sure THAT is working. Balance your props. experiment with flipping into ATTI mode.

But I think the issue is you are shooting in NARROW field of view mode??....which means the equivalent of magnification/high focal length......which means ANY movement/vibration is magnified, just as it would be for a camera on a tripod or high power binoculars. The P2V camera is not exactly a GoPro but quite similar. No one, that I have seen anyway, is shooting their GoPro videos in Narrow mode. Most shoot in Medium or Wide......for this very reason.

Beyond that, you can experiment with various FPS formats, and ND filters....but I doubt these will correct what you want.

The P2V CAN do much better than what you are showing.....but it is only 1 dimensionally stabilized. I don't think a 2D gimbal will stabilize your video in Narrow mode. But the bottom line is The P2V is NOT set up to remove/replace the built in camera-gimbal ball with and add-on 2D or 3G gimbal and GoPro (or other camera).....without a MAJOR headache or challenge. If you need a better gimbal than comes with the P2V....you want a P1 or a P2.

Thanks Peter
That was in the widest mode. I haven't tried the Mid or Narrow modes for that reason. I did the Gimbal test and it works fine. Thanks for the advice on the gimbal. Are there many PV2 Flyers going to different gimbals that you know of? Also, I would appreciate any info on balancing props as I have never done that.
Thanks Pete

Was that the wrong video? That had jello issues but was pretty stable if you ask me.

BigSky said:
How do you balance the props? I did tip it over on and icy field one time on my maiden flight because I had bad information on how to shut the motors off after landing.

YouTube has several videos on prop balancing. Best to just go look at them. Look up Phantom prop balancing. Here is one that addresses the P2 props. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVdVa0jWowI

Looking at your video, I'm not sure balance is a problem but it could be. Didn't you get a spare set of props with your P2V? If so, swap them out and see if you have an issue. I've used several stock props with mine and have not had much problem.

Patb01027 said:
Was that the wrong video? That had jello issues but was pretty stable if you ask me.

I apologize. That was the after effect of YouTube's version of Stabilizer. I applied that this morning, but chose not to keep it on the video when Youtube asked me if I wanted to keep the edited version because I noticed the jello and quality loss.I chose to keep it original so you could see what I was talking about, and it took 20 minutes for YouTube to un Edit. So I just checked and it's back to the original.
Also I noticed that the video looks nothing like 1080P, more like 720 or less. How are these people getting 1080 on YouTube without getting downgraded?

Thanks, I found some stuff on prop balancing. One guy uses a 6mm bolt, but that won't work on the LH thread. I'll just have to find some straight rod and make my own.

Phantasmic said:
iResq said:
How does a ND filter smooth out video?

It forces the camera to use a slower shutter speed. Slower shutter speed = less rolling shutter issues.

I thought slower shutter speeds blurred motion.

BigSky said:
Patb01027 said:

I apologize. That was the after effect of YouTube's version of Stabilizer. I applied that this morning, but chose not to keep it on the video when Youtube asked me if I wanted to keep the edited version because I noticed the jello and quality loss.I chose to keep it original so you could see what I was talking about, and it took 20 minutes for YouTube to un Edit. So I just checked and it's back to the original.
Also I noticed that the video looks nothing like 1080P, more like 720 or less. How are these people getting 1080 on YouTube without getting downgraded?

Thanks, I found some stuff on prop balancing. One guy uses a 6mm bolt, but that won't work on the LH thread. I'll just have to find some straight rod and make my own.

AHHH ok will look again. I actually think youtube stabilization works pretty decent. I used it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgnUGRClzmU - I agree you lose some quality and it of course cut the opening text. I am hoping for a gimbal that is not $500 sometime soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31