Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom 2 Vision+ Altitude Restriction on Firmware?

Discussion in 'Firmware' started by DroneNerd, Jun 27, 2015.

1. DroneNerd

I have the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus and I have not updated the firmware for over 9 months because I'm afraid it might put a restriction on my altitude. I basically have unlimited altitude capability limited only by the transmitter range. Does anybody know if I'll have a height restriction if I upgrade the firmware?

2. RoyWalton

No it wont restrict, you can set as high as you want, I fly at 800

3. RoyWalton

But only in very remote areas!

4. MapMaker53

What type of remote area never has a helicopter or plane fly overhead?

Mike_in_Letcombe likes this.
  5. Canyon Mike

Look...if you're in the US, 400Ft is the legal max. Do all of us a favor and play by the rules. The DJI firmware on mine (about 6 months old P2V+V3) restricts the alt to that max, but there's always a way to workaround. Anything above 500ft is manned NAS. UAS's are prohibited from encroaching there. Please think about that.

Mike_in_Letcombe likes this.
  6. MapMaker53

Those disregarding altitude restrictions, regulations or just plain common sense is why the FAA is having a baby and is ruining the hobby for everyone else.

7. diver_matt

That's the thing...we can't go as fast as we want on the freeway because it puts others at risk. While some may think they can do that in places that risk only themselves (rural desert highway), there's no way to guarantee it. Just as there is no way to guarantee higher altitudes won't harm others. So find a thrill in another way.

That said, if you are on a hilltop a few hundred feet in elevation and fly away from the hilltop at 300' agl, your phantom could quickly be 500' agl or more. Do the FAA restrictions indicate "agl" as where you are standing or where it is flying at every moment?

8. RoyVa

Just remember, what goes up must come down and it might not only be yours. Fly safe, be safe and respect the airspace.

9. Mike_in_Letcombe

The problem is that too many people are simply ignoring the 'rules' and the local laws and using these things as a toy - which they blatantly are not! What on earth is the point of putting other people at risk by taking a Phantom up over the 400 feet / 120 metre level? If you can't get a good panoramic shot from up there, then how will going higher help? Unless, of course, you have been infected with the 'stupid' gene and simply don't realise / care what the hell you're doing.

10. fdmontgomery

I fly at 1200' from narrow valleys 1000' deep.