Phantom 2 Video Signal Failing

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 with the following setup.

AVL58 5.8G VideoLink Transmitter
iOSD mini
H3-3D Zenmuse Gimbal
GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition
Lilliput color monitor with 2 antennas
All of the antennas are 4 lobe Cloverleaf

All of the above (except the monitor of course) is mounted on the bottom of the Phantom. I have the monitor mounted on the controller with a 3D printed plastic mount. The transmitter antenna is mounted using a 90deg connector so it points straight down.

I purchased this Phantom used, (second owner). I've had it for approx. 9 months. There have been no issues with it, and I am quite happy. Then all of a sudden things changed in the video department.

The issue I'm having appears to be video signal strength. Once everything it's up and running, the video on the monitor is clear as can be. When I take off and the distance from me to the P2 increases to approx. 10 meters I begin to see a degradation in video quality. The farther I go the worse it gets. By 70 meters the image is totally gone. All I see is snow. This is all direct line of site with no trees, antennas, or power lines. The recorded video on the SD card is perfect so I don't believe it's an issue with the camera.
My typical video range is approx. 750 meters before it goes away, I see from reading here that it should be greater than that.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this sudden change in video range? I've totally disassembled all of the video equipment, cleaned all of the connections to no avail. I've tried other antenna's, the cheap white ones that originally came with the equipment. No difference.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

I have pics if needed.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj